S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.
View Poll Results: What tuning system do you run and prefer?
AEM EMS
49.16%
Hondata
45.25%
Other
5.59%
Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

AEM ems vs Hondata

Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM ems vs Hondata

Im in the process of building a turbo setup for my s2k. I completed my sidewinder manifold yesterday and i picked up a innovative 67mm turbo a couple weeks back. I am at a stand still on what tuning system is the best suited system for my goals and the most user friendly. The car is a DD and i am shooting for the 400whp range this year and maybe later in the year or begging of next shooting for the 500whp range. I have heard good about both Hondata and EMS but i wanted to see what all of you thought and your imput on the systems you have used and what you like and dislike.

Also i was curious if you retain Cruise and AC with ems?

thanx for all the imput and suggestions please don't post if you don't have personal experience with the tuning systems mentioned im also open to other tuning systems just looking for the best bang for the buck
Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pettyboy69
Im in the process of building a turbo setup for my s2k. I completed my sidewinder manifold yesterday and i picked up a innovative 67mm turbo a couple weeks back. I am at a stand still on what tuning system is the best suited system for my goals and the most user friendly. The car is a DD and i am shooting for the 400whp range this year and maybe later in the year or begging of next shooting for the 500whp range. I have heard good about both Hondata and EMS but i wanted to see what all of you thought and your imput on the systems you have used and what you like and dislike.

thanx for all the imput and suggestions please don't post if you don't have personal experience with the tuning systems mentioned im also open to other tuning systems just looking for the best bang for the buck
This has been covered 10000000 times

both work well and will do what you need, but they are both junk if not tuned properly. Find a good tuner and use what they recommend.

You only loose obd2 with the v2 aem, if you go with the older aem ems you also loose the coolant temp gauge unless you buy the modifry unit.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii
Originally Posted by pettyboy69' timestamp='1300829188' post='20387245

both work well and will do what you need, but they are both junk if not tuned properly. Find a good tuner and use what they recommend.

You only loose obd2 with the v2 aem, if you go with the older aem ems you also loose the coolant temp gauge unless you buy the modifry unit.
Ya i have read the different threads but no one on any of them uses their personal experience as an example to argue one or the other. The biggest thing i dont like about aem is you loose you CEL so if you have an issue it is a lot more time consuming to figure out. Im very happy that v2 allows you to keep all your stock sensors tho. I want people that have tuned on both systems to point out the technical pro's and con's they noticed with each of the systems because im gonna be spending over a grand on either system and i think it is the little quirks about each system that will help me to decide which system to ultimately go with because i know both systems are good
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii
Old 03-26-2011, 12:04 PM

alright well i guess im gonna go with ems it is better priced and my tuner is cool with either system
Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't beat aem series 1 in the standalone bang for the buck category.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haltech looks promising too - I'd love to run an EMS for simplicity but Hondata unfortunately works better for a street car.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Kpo FTW! You can pass emissions with it.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by pettyboy69
Originally Posted by wadzii' timestamp='1300935162' post='20391290
[quote name='pettyboy69' timestamp='1300829188' post='20387245']

Ya i have read the different threads but no one on any of them uses their personal experience as an example to argue one or the other. The biggest thing i dont like about aem is you loose you CEL so if you have an issue it is a lot more time consuming to figure out. Im very happy that v2 allows you to keep all your stock sensors tho. I want people that have tuned on both systems to point out the technical pro's and con's they noticed with each of the systems because im gonna be spending over a grand on either system and i think it is the little quirks about each system that will help me to decide which system to ultimately go with because i know both systems are good
[/quote]
You can retain the CEL for a specific type of problem. I have mine set to light up when the coolant temp exceeds 210 since I don't have the modifry unit. You really can set it to whatever you want. I like the AEM unit. but if I was just starting out, I would try the hondata first.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
haltech looks promising too - I'd love to run an EMS for simplicity but Hondata unfortunately works better for a street car.
What makes it better for a street car? Factory use of CELs?

Quick Reply: AEM ems vs Hondata