Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

PRM Jet Stream intake system

Old 04-16-2011, 04:57 AM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PRM Jet Stream intake system

I have no idea if this has been discussed much down under, but I feel so strong about this intake that decided to share my experience. Firstly lets note that this is the one and only aftermarket intake that I have ever used, both my MY00 MCB and the MY06 SSM have been run with stock air boxes for the entire time. Until last Wednesday when finally I was able to compete my install of my second hand PRM intake after waiting 10 weeks for it to arrive. Canada Post is not the quickest, or most reliable as I was given 4-6 weeks standard, no tracking number, delivery. I was ready to try and track it down if it passed the 11 weeks lost parcels deadline, so when it came in, to be honest, I was surprised.
Pic of the FS: note only 2 not 3 bungs.

Name:  IMG_8761.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  78.5 KB

Anyways on to how I found out about this intake. After reading 2 posts in the Modifications and Parts Forum, one by Suzuka-Blue-S2k https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/850...#entry20344086
and the other by midnightmethane https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/837...#entry20431311

My interest or rather curiosity was growing, so whilst searching through Vancouver BC FS forum I managed to track down a MY00-05 version of the PRM in kelowna and was able to buy it for $180.00 aud delivered. Emails to Gerry the inventor and CEO of PRM Racing, confirmed that all I needed to do to make it compatible with MY06 audm was to have an extra bung welded on for the Air Temperature Sensor, not present in the same place on the MY00-05 stock air intake.

So it arrives and I set about removing the stock air box and installing the PRM Jet Stream intake. I managed to find a fencing manufacturer close by, whom welded the extra bung on for $25.00. With a bit of a adjustments I was able to set it up perfectly to my liking, zip ties and all. The top steel piping that runs off the valve cover I managed to hose clamp up initially in order to get it all running as the piping wouldn't directly fit into the intake bung. The MY00-05 versions are black hosing and are straight forward connecting. The middle bung is straight forward as well.

Name:  P1030700.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  191.2 KB

Name:  P1030701-1.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  190.6 KB

So starting it up the dash starts indicating Malfunction Indicator Lamp, an email to Scott at Honda Care of Sumner Park reveals the reset the ECU and relearn the idle settings. I drive off the 1hr 15 min to have Scott do this for me, (he indicated that it was perfectly safe to do the drive). Whilst there we had a quick chat about the hose clamping of the steel piping, which wasn't going to work long term so he sends me around the corner to TPE Hydraulics. $40 later they make up a direct fitting steel pipe that just looks OEM and I am done and have completed the install.

Name:  P1030698.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  201.1 KB

Name:  P1030703.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  279.7 KB

First time driving off I give the throttle a little bit more than usual, and yes certainly sounds different. Like a mild braphtt, much less suctiony than stock but not overly noticeable. That night I take it for a decent run, WOW WOW and more WOW is all I can say.

This quote from the post says it all for me, "For the sound, it just sounds good if you step on gas more than half way on lower gears, it is hard to describe, it sounds deeper and a lot more unique than oem box cover off. and when WOT it sounds real loud and somehow like itbs, maybe that horn type thing made that sound."

Simply for the sound alone I love this PRM Jetstream intake, best bang for my buck ever. I only actually bought it because of the "sound" reviews butt dyno is certainly impressed.
Tugun Bypass tunnel NEVER sounded so good, and I'm totally content running stock headers, cat and exhaust.

Here is what's from the website at PRM Racing, http://www.prmracing.com/index.html

PRM was founded in 1996 by Gerry Sica
inventor of the patented in-line filter co-named
Jet Stream Intake System. The award winning
filter design received high acclaim at the 97 SEMA
show and was featured in many performance
magazines. Our in-line filters accomplish 3 fundamental
duties in the performance arena.

* Cleans incoming air with free flowing washable cotton gauze media
* Draws ambient air safely with no worry about rain
* Straightens out air flow = more torque & hp.

Air does not like to change direction, the more turns it has to make the slower it will travel its that
simple. By removing your restrictive stock paper air filter and box which makes air turn a considerable
amount and replacing it with our in-line filter will create a performance gain. Air that travels through a
Jet Stream Intake System does so with little directional change & with its taipered design creating a venturi
(speeds up air) effect puts this unique filter in a leauge of its own. And the sound, simply put; awsome nothing compares to the sound of a Jet Stream Intake System, - (sound clip 350z on dyno), top of the heap. In true racing conditions you can create a ram air set-up by simple using an inlet funnel or scoop, doesn't get any better than that. So if your interested in buying the best cold air intake system available on the market today - LOOK NO FURTHER.

So, that night I'm sitting back, reflecting on my renewed and refreshed driving experience and decide to email this off to Gerry at PRM Racing:

Hey Gerry I was thinking last night, how the hell did he make this intake
sound so, so, so cool...
He must have experience with music.? maybe a sound engineer? was thinking
all this.
Do you mind sharing some experiences that lead to this the best sounding
intake..
cheers
Robin

This is Gerry's reply:

Hi Robin,

Its funny you should mention that,over the past 12 years people
always ask me if I'm an engineer; and I reply, well I'm actually
a musician.
I played Guitar & write music,I'm basically an artist,I'm 47 years old, at
the age of 26 I got tendinitis & had to give up music.In 1996 I opened up a
Performance Shop because of my love for cars, Then you could say I channeled
all my artistic energy into designing & patenting the jet stream intake
system,the intake was designed to create a venturi effect in the housing via
the inverted filter & housing design & also the ability to draw in ambient
air;
all in the pursuit of making hp , which it does.. very effectively.
The sound is just the byproduct of the design, I think because of the filter
design, similar to a trumpet, it has a very unique &
beautiful tone.

Thanks !! You're the first person to correlate the two.

Gerry

So there is my review of this magnificent sounding PRM Jetstream Intake, sorry if long and too detailed, but I wanted to share my experiences, and to certainly inspire others whom may be thinking of upgrading the stock air intake.
Btw I was very impressed with Gerry's replies and backup service even though I bought 2nd hand.

Comments and Criticism welcome and certainly input from others that may have gone this mod route.

cheers
Old 04-16-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! great value for money for $180!!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon had one of these that he loved too.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a clip of the sound? All the ones Ive found on YouTube arent that great
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 AM
xoz

no I haven't but the link on the website of PRM Racing has a 350Z on dyno, sounds pretty close apart from the dyno noise.

Swift GT had this to say about the PRM in his FS thread:

Impressions:
- Intake has an extremely deep and bass-y tone that growls at low RPMs and is absolutely maniacally batshit insane in VTEC. This intake will give your S a Jekyl & Hyde personality; low throttle = nearly as quiet as stock, high throttle = loud, exotic, > 6cyl sports car. I never grew tired of how this intake sounded and I miss it already .
- Power seemed to increase slightly in the high-RPM range (hard to be sure of) although throttle response goes up noticeably especially at speed.
- Coupled with a heat shield such as the Password JDM or Moddiction my PRM had very little heat bogging from a stop even in the summer despite what people say about "hot-air intakes." The intake takes in air at-speed from the hole in the engine bay near the passenger headlight.

Dyno info one is PRM vs Stock & the other is PRM vs AEM.

Name:  S2000IntakeComparison-2.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  S2000IntakeComparison.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  92.2 KB
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM
xoz

Been asked about setting up a GROUP BUY for these PRM intakes so have emailed Gerry at PRM Racing to see if can do us a deal with discounts at 3, 6 and 10 intakes shipped to me on Gold Coast, stay tuned I'll post up when I get some more info facts back from Gerry. Initial pm interest will help to get a rollin'...lmk
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
xoz

link to GROUP BUY

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/862...stream-intake/
Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
xoz

This question has come up a couple of times so am posting here for MY06+ versions of the install.
I can probably sort something out for the MY06+ GB buyers, as this would be simple over the phone. Just let me know, again I have NO commercial interest in this either, obviously NO adverse loss as well.

Its for the TOP bung on MY06+ versions this is steel piping not rubber hosing.

TPE Hydraulics PL
ph: 07 3376 7262
fax 07 3376 8623

email: tpehydraulics@bigpond.com
web: tpehydraulics.com.au

description: 1/2 CDS pipe (12.7)
item: 1/2 labour
invoice no: 37535

real nice older guy, building a track BMW, car nut. If you want I can organize for you so let me know, I will be able to do over the phone no problem.

Name:  P1030698.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  201.1 KB

Name:  P1030703.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  279.7 KB
Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 PM
xoz

Latest version from the recent group buy. Will help for my06-09 installs. My99-05 is similar as well.
First pic shows the moddiction heat shield I just installed as well, tidies up the engine bay and gives added heat protection.

Name:  055b5b37.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  144.5 KB

Name:  37c4dde6.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  f5bfc28e.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  139.2 KB
Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you clean the filter inside of this?
cant find any instructions

Quick Reply: PRM Jet Stream intake system