S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How to remove clear bra?

Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to remove clear bra?

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove a clear bra? I found a few incomplete threads here, but nothing super helpful.

My clear bra's about 5 years old and collecting stains from the track that I can't remove. Since I replaced my original front bumper, I only have clear bra on the front 1/3 of my hood and fenders.

From what I've gathered, I need to park the car in the sun and use a blow dryer (I don't have a heat gun) to warm the adhesive. Then I pull from a corner at a 45 degree angle while continuing to warm the area I'm pulling. Then when I'm done, I have to remove any leftover adhesive with 1:1 Isopropyl Alcohol / distilled water, wd40, 3m adhesive remover, or something else. Sound right?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a heat gun is best but a blow dryer should suffice, ive did it a few times. just be patient, itll come off. wd40 should remove the left over adhesive residue or ipa/water. just be sure to put some sealant/wax on there afterwards.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

ipa = India Pale Ale?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
ipa = India Pale Ale?
I can't tell if you're serious, so...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Sarcasm is some times lost in these threads I like the idea of a nice cold IPA while removing the clear bra though!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Sarcasm is some times lost in these threads I like the idea of a nice cold IPA while removing the clear bra though!
Absolutely. I assumed he was joking, but when I googled IPA, nothing useful came up on the first three pages (other than a related search for isopropyl alcohol). So, on the off-chance he didn't know what it was, tried googling it, and was confused I figured I'd mention it. In addition, I have never heard IPA used outside of car detailing.

And yes, some cold EtOH while working on the car is a good idea.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:55 AM

ipa is very common term in pharmacy school....tired of hearing it actually.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM

I remove my clear bra, When I left the can in the sun all the glue stayed on the car. Hair dryer did not help, heat gun just left the film break off in small pieces.
For me every couple night in the garage at room temp 65-70˚ I pulled the film back 1 foot SQ at a time. When the film was off used 3M adhesive release from
"the Paint store" (automotive). SPECIALLY made to remove film and the old wood grain from paint WITHOUT harming the paint. long process also
needed was a plastic puddy knife

GL
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removal completely depends on the type of clear bra you had. My VentureShield removed without any special process. It was on the car for 3 years. When I peeled it, I pulled it back and dragged it along the surface, not outward or towards me.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the genuine 3M clear bra material on the wifely unit's truck. It left a gooey mess of adhesive when I pulled it off. I finally gave up on the WD-40, naphtha, lacquer thinner, etc and went to the local automotive paint supply house and bought a quart of the 3M adhesive remover. If you are in the Atlanta area, I have about 28 ounces of the stuff left. Drop by and use it.

Quick Reply: How to remove clear bra?