S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Daily driving S2000

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to leave a Honda bike out exposed to the elements for two years. None of the original chrome rusted. All after-market stuff did.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 AM

I haven't washed my car in a while, so some dirt and dust may be accumulated, but you get the idea.... pretty clean still
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 AM

You should change your name to neuroticbob.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The pictures are particularly helpful. That looks like it can be cleaned at some point in the future with some elbow grease.

ikeyballz, I live in Cleveland, where it snows a lot. My S2000 will never be driven in the snow except under exceptional circumstances. It's covered and kept in the garage all winter and even when not in use during the warm season.

Woodson, maybe I am a little "neurotic" about my cars. I just like to take care of what I own. If I sell my S, I'm the guy you'd want to buy from.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by neuronbob
With high gas prices I am considering periodically daily-driving my S2000 in warm weather, including in the rain. My mileage is pretty consistently in the mid-20s, though if I am more assertive in my driving, I've been as low as 23 mpg.

In any case, I have a concern that may seem peculiar to some of you. My car is a low-mileage 2002 that I've been driving only on dry days and which I'm actively trying not to overuse. No flames about "it's only a Honda" or "you buy a car to drive it", that's what my daily driver CTS-V has been for, thank you!

Anyway, I've had the car in the rain exactly twice since purchase three years ago, both times involuntarily. The first time was the day I bought it, and the second time was two years ago, when I had to drive home from a tire installation in the rain. Many people boast that they don't ever drive their car in the rain at all. Is there long-term damage/rust to the frame and other underbody components on cars driven in the rain? I mean, if I was trying to preserve the car to be presentable at some Concours de Whatever in 25 years, would driving it in the rain REALLY hurt? I don't see it, but some are convinced of it.

Again, it may seem like a silly concern to some of you, but I am intending to keep my S2000 for many years.

Discuss!
JHC.
Sell the S2000 already.
So much fail, and not enough space to respond.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM

Since getting my motorcycle 2 years ago, my S2000 has been my rainy day driver. I can go months without driving it as I only drive it in the rain and it normally does not rain much in S. Calif. My S has also sat outside since the very first day of ownership (bought it new in 07), if I ever get around to washing it it still looks good. And the underneath of the car is fine also. Its a car quit worrying and enjoy it.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM

what I'd be worried about if you drove in the rain, is under the tool compartment in the trunk. The trunk vent tends to leak and water gets in there. I know mine had a bit of water stain from the previous owner.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
OP, it sounds like you live somewhere with snow? Whats more damaging to body panels/frame than water is SALT. salt water will rust through practically anything, no metals like chlorine (NaCl). Even aluminum and stainless will rust in salt water. My S is daily driven in hawaii and we get rain practically every other day. No signs of rust on the frame, some minor surface rust on exposed bolts. I'd bet that it will be another 10-15 years before i have any rust on body panels. With salt, all bets are off on exposed surfaces

Exactly. Having lived most of my life in New England, I have seen lots of old rustbucket autos, due to the high usage of salt on the roads in Wintertime. It is a nasty necessity. My last ten years, I have been a retiree in South Carolina. It is amazing how many older cars you see with no evidence of rust decay. I would never worry about rain. Of course, in Hawaii (and South Carolina as well), there is a high incidence of direct sunshine day after day (for which I am eternally grateful), and you do need to worry about decay of rubber parts - especially tires- due to the UV exposure.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 AM

If you're looking to make this a show car 20 years down the road, then avoiding the elements is probably the safest way to go. It's true, modern cars have great rust protection but they aren't full proof. If you drive your S in the rain for 5 years, you might not see any rust. But extend that to 10, 20 years... eventually things will start to rust. For most people, in that amount of time they'll have a new car and have moved on (DD or not). It all depends on how long you plan to keep it. A few rainy days a year will not rust your car, but if you need this thing looking brand new in 2031... avoid rain when possible.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Avoid salt, rain is okay; the car isn't made out of cotton candy.