S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

RUNING ON E85

Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock Injectors maybe I mean yea stock pump but you'll be pushing it.good e85 bunch of info will come up it tells u how it eats the paper gaskets and requires 30% more fuel to run like any race fuel really and sometimes lading out your oem pemp isn't smart lmao.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when i was on the stock engine I ran e85 for a little while... the stock injectors were at 100% duty at around 8000 rpms, cold start was terrible and milage sucked so much ass I switched back in a month (about 1200 miles for me). The stock pump and fuel filter held up fine for the short time I used it.

Its not really worth it on a stock motor, my car wasnt really any faster
The following users liked this post:
Drift dat (04-13-2019)
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey fellas i would be very weary of running E85 on our cars and any car that is not e-85 compatible ive done extensive research on this and spoken to a couple old school chevy gurus and the sum of every thing is that any engine that is factory e85 compatible is very different from per say the same engine but not e85 compliant. for starters the fuel lines are different, all rubber fuel lines are a different rubber including all gaskets,the fuel pump itself is different and so is the fuel filter as well as the engine valves are specially coated due to e-85's corrosive nature. Anyone whos selling those stupid plug in e-85 conversions is screwing you over because non-e85 engines dont have the same materials as an e85 engine does thus making it more prone to internal damage which can be very expensive in the long run. im pretty sure its ok if you use it once or twice but due to e85 not being petroleum based a lot if not most of your fuel line gaskets will crack and break because e85 is that different from standard gas.

i dunno how true this is, but im just basing this on what a gm tech whos a friend told me to be careful with and why.

watch this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSdh1PaQ418
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 PM

Wadazii. After doing multiple vehicles on e85 I do agree and disagree lolz u r right on what happened to u if u don't tune the motor for the fuel it'll eat it and thus why I said the Russel fuel filter and bigger Injectors.but really only will be good for a stock dd once there's more of these pumps locally.for me anyway.

Dcmonkey.its really not as crazy as u think.if u read what I posted the e85 is very easily ran w. A metal inline fuel filter.generally wanting to switch to braided lines as well but can be ran for a few years on oem lines before it starts hurting them.needs a bigger fuel pump and Injectors and tune to keep up w. It.but that's any 110+pctane fuel this ish is equivalent to race fuel for us and is race fuel for a lot of us lolz.since cam2 and v16 are rather expensive and 93 doesn't push enough octane and e85 is cheaper then regular but same octane as the race fuels....I think I found my fix haha.but the valves really aren't different on the gms like they say.I just sold my truck pulled the nonflex fuel motor and gave it to my boy whose truck is a flexfuel but his oil pumped locked up(common thing for 99+ s10 lol) only things needing to be swapped over is the intel manifold tb and fuel system cause its mounted diff on the flex fuel intake mani.and the motor is just right haha.searched called talked w. Gm techs etc front to make sure we took all the proper peramiters and they said yes it'll be fine. So my conclusion on that is u just gotta do the fuel sysytem and tuning right.my prelude is running e85 and going for some high hp heart surgery soon so im redoing the fuel system the right way(before it was 550cc Injectors and 255 fuel pump stock lines for 1.5 years no problems just assumed there would be eventually.soon braided lines 1000+cc injectos a1000 fuel pump braided lines etc...so we shall c if I get to convert my dd over lolz
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM

However I do agree them conversion kits they sell claiming it'll make your ride e85 compatible are crock hewy
Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my car was fully tuned w/aem ems.. I spent alot of time on it... way more than i spend on most. I have never had a car on e85 be as hard to start as mine was and I never really expected the stock injectors to keep up.

my fuel mileage went from about 24mpg on gas to 18 on e85. I generally test everything on the dyno, but the ass dyno didnt register enough gains for me to even worry with testing e85 in my car on the dyno.

in regards to what DCmonkey said... All that is true if you are building a car that has to last 10+ years and go 200k miles running e85. For most "enthusiast" applications, stock parts with upgraded injectors will suffice.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:51 AM

So basically , bigger injectors, eventually a better fuel pump ( or one meant to run w/ E85 ), a metal fuel filter + a good tune ex: w/ AEM EMS should do it...(right?)

How much gains and milaege would I expect from those changes if averyhting is OEM internaly in engine...

IM running witouht a catalitik converter, some homemade hayabusa ITB's AEM EMS II tune and a 2.5 inch from headers to muffler piping....I kept stock headers and wraped' hem in thermal tape and ceramic whool. grounded every coil on plugs to battery and engine block w/ a big 4-0 5000 fine strand wire made out of copping for extra grounding ,reducing resistance. no further extras.

IM still in the built, going to tune soon, still considering the e85 fuel cell for special occasions, or should i just mix the fuel to e85 in proportion to have better fuel octane and keep it like this?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 PM

E85 sounds interesting but I'm not allowed to modify my fuel crap so I think I'll get her mapped for 100 Octane and leave it at that
Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had an identical experience with E85 as Wadzii. I just have basic bolt-ons with 630cc Siemens Deka injectors and stock fuel pump. I was able to achieve slightly more power with more ignition timing and fewer knock counts, but the constant fill-ups were brutal. It was just too damn expensive, and I had to always consider how far I going to drive without knowing where an E85 station could be found. I switched back to E10 after 2 weeks.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 AM

In addition to more aggressive timing, wouldn't a bigger improvement be seen by bumping your compression. I have heard of increasing compression up to 13:1 on E85. This would increase efficiency thus increasing power and improving mileage. I know E85 has 27% less energy per volume than regular gasoline but by increasing compression you can offset around 3-5%.
Your mileage will get worse, not arguing that. Some places E85 is much less expensive and the benefit to cost ratio may be lower.
At least your emissions will be lower.

As far as cold start, it will be worse unless you increase your dynamic compression ratio.
This can be done with cam timing or will increase if you raise static compression ratio.

Quick Reply: RUNING ON E85