Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17" Rota Slips opinions please

Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" Rota Slips opinions please

I tried a search but could not find anything specific to what I am looking for.

Also, please no Rota bashing, I know they are not the best wheel out there, but they aren't bad bang for the buck. Im not looking to go ballin out as I have a few other very costly hobbies, and only have so much money set aside for my S and I need to spread it around for other mods.

I am wanting to do a non staggered set up, originally I was looking at RPF1s, I know they are a better wheel, but they do cost more slightly, and I feel that they are muchy more common.

Heres what I am thinking: 17x8.5 all around, wrapped in 245/40s. I have a 1" Eibach drop on the way, and plan to roll my fenders and so on. My real question is has anyone tried this same set up, and if so can you give me your opinion on it please?

Im unsure of what tire to go with as of now, so if someone has some opinions (don't we all ) on what's a good summer/semi-track tire that doesn't break the bank that would be MUCH appreciated.

Pics would help if someone has some!

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM

I should have specified about what Im willing to spend on tires... $700 would be my max for something REALLY worth it. Im only going to run these during the dry season here in CA, and keep my OEM ap2v1s for the rainy season, however something that is safe to drive in light rain is needed in case of a summer shower ect.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the offsets on the wheels? Thats really the determining factor on if they will fit.

A great summer tire that doesn't break the bank is the Hankook RS-3. Most of the STR autocrossers are running this tire and love it. Its available in both a 245 and a 255.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, what is the offset? If you just want a cheap set of nonstaggered wheels, I would also recommend the TR Motorsports ones you can get on Tire Rack's site for the $700ish range. Also, the TSW Trackstar in 17 x 8 +50 would be decent and they are very light. There are a couple others that are 17 x 8" that may work. One is the Kosei K1-TS which are very light. Another is Motegi MR121 or something, which uses some sort of semi forging technology like Enkei. I am not sure if 8.5" is more ideal, but I know you can at least run 245s on the 8" wheels. If you are on a tight budget, these are your best options I feel. As far as strength, I have no idea, but these are some of the lighter ones that use fancy wheel technology.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I assume you are looking at the 8.5" +48 fitment. That will work perfectly fine with rolled fenders and 245/40 tires. Slipstreams are one of the lightest Rota wheels available and the price is right. For tires, you are probably looking at Hankook RS-3, Dunlop Star Specs, and Nitto NT-05, any of which should work nicely for you. I believe the NT-05 is only available in 255 though.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM

I should have specified offset, yes +48 in 17x8.5 (highest offered) is what I would go with, Im not into that "hellaflush" stuff haha.

Thank you for the input on those wheels Clarkster009, but I just like the look of the Spoon knock offs the most... but maybe if I sit on it, the idea of a better made wheel will grow on me.

After I posted this I did some more research on tires and like you all had previously said I think the Star Specs or RS-3s are going to be what I go with... it will basically come down to which I can get cheaper mounted and balanced locally. With all my vehicles I stay local for tires, since most the big shops warranty all their work and usually replace defective examples. I had a pair of Toyo performance tires (model escapes me, was like 5 years ago) that I got replaced for free since they wore down at around 20k miles but were covered until 30k, or something close to that.