S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

S-Tow-Thousand!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Tow-Thousand!

Fist off, I know the s2000 was not made as a tow vehicle, but I'm moving to Florida from Texas and needed to be able to pull a small trailer(its my only car). I have also been wanted to put a bike rack on the car, so this project let me get both done cheaper then what's currently on the market and also in a hidden design I prefer. I made this myself on my patio over a couple day out of 1/4" plate and a 3x2" 11 gauge rectangular bar stock and a 1-1/4" receiver tube. I also replace all the hardware with grade 8/10.9 for added strength, as well as added an additional bolt on the passenger side which only had 2 stock. It was welded up by a local fabricator in Houston for $60, and then i coated it with silver POR-15 (so it should NEVER rust...). In all, i have well under $200 invested into the project and am very pleased with the results. It weight 13.5lbs.

Top View

Front view

Fit together

Installed

Installed- Side clearance

Bumper Cut Out

Hitch Pin

Hitch Pin in place

License plate in stealth mode

License plate moved to lower position

Chain rings in place, note that the license plate protects the paint!. It's also hard to see, but in the large rectangular hole next to the left license plate screw hole, i made a mount for the trailer plug so that I don't have to worry about fishing around for the harness.

I didn't want to have to carry an extra tool to move the license plate, so i cut off the end of a hex wrench and mounted it into the end of the trailer pin!

Added bolt on passenger side... note it's not tightened down in this pic!

Cost:
$60 in metal
$60 in welding
$13 for 6" 1-1/4" receiver tube
$26 for POR-15
$10 for new hardware
$4 for trailer pin

Well that's all I have! Comments welcome...
The following users liked this post:
IcebergS2000 (07-27-2021)
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I had the other hitch that mounts under the car but since I have a diffuser I decided to sell it. I could replicate this for free at work so I might just have to do so!

Thanks for sharing and let us know how it works out!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM

very nice! at first i didnt know why you placed it right there, very smart
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Spammer

Very neat instal - well thought out - just hope the structure to which it is attached which is designed for a a direct loading (like a rear end collision) is robust enough to handle the rotational loads that are applied to a hitch by whatever you are towing or carrying - the moment arm is very long and magnifies the vertical and rotational loads immensely. Keep us posted.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by HS2K.RLS
Very neat instal - well thought out - just hope the structure to which it is attached which is designed for a a direct loading (like a rear end collision) is robust enough to handle the rotational loads that are applied to a hitch by whatever you are towing or carrying - the moment arm is very long and magnifies the vertical and rotational loads immensely. Keep us posted.

This exact question was nagging at me even before the build. But I built it with the largest base plate possible, added the extra bolt, and upgraded to grade 8/10.9 hardware. It's attached directly to the frame, and from the experience i had trying to drill the hole for the extra bolt, i can attest to the fact that its made of tough stuff! Before the build, i was able to get 2 other friends to jump up and down on the bare bumper (600 lbs total), without any concerning signs. Not the most scientific of test, but enough to put me at ease since i don't expect the tongue weight to approach that!. I also don't plan any heavy towing! Mostly a bike rack and tire trailer.

I plan to do a tear down to inspect it after my trip. I will keep you all posted!

Thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Spammer

Have a safe trip.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you put in the lock pin when the bumper is on? Looks awesome otherwise
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
How do you put in the lock pin when the bumper is on? Looks awesome otherwise

There is an opening above the license plate stock that allows you to reach in and place the pin.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ahh man should have bought a beater... nice work either way!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM

This is amazing.. Do you have specs for the hitch? Any blueprints for it? I would love to make my own.

Quick Reply: S-Tow-Thousand!