S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight hesitation at low RPM

Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight hesitation at low RPM

Hi Gang.

Got my '07 AP2 last week and finally made it to the DMV yesterday for registration. I'm officially in love Anyway, the hesitation issue. Say I'm driving along and traffic in front of me comes to a stop. I coast in neutral but then traffic starts moving again before I can stop. At this point, say I'm at about 11 MPH, I put it in 2nd gear and I start to accelerate again. What happens is, it starts going but after a few hundred RPMs, it hesitates, then starts going again and everything is cool.

Seems to happen only at low RPM between 1500-2500 although I haven't gotten a chance to give this car a romp yet. I did a little research and some older threads suggest heat soak but I'm not quite sure that's what it is. Others say your close to idle speed and when you press the gas the ECU doesn't really know what to do yet. Another possibility is that it's just a quirk w/the DBW system. I don't know.

Any help would be great. I'm hoping I don't have some sort of problem with it, cuz if I do then it's

2007 w/31k miles

Thanks Gang!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i'd say thats due to the low end torque. go into 1st instead of second.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
i'd say thats due to the low end torque. go into 1st instead of second.
I don't think so. Because it goes, cuts out slightly, then goes again. This all happens very quickly. Doesn't sound like a symptom of no low end torque
Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

My '06 does the same thing, but only when the engine is hot. I have read others that have the same symptom. I think it has to do with the stock tune, it doesn't bother me enough to spend the money on a aftermarket tune.

ROD
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

try cleaning your throttle body plate, my car drives so much more smoother now. I cleaned both the Idle air control valve and the throttle body plate both of which were caked in carbon build up. To access the throttle body plate all you have to do is remove the air intake tube and you will see the plate inside. With the car OFF, open it so that it is completely open and wipe away with a clean rag with carb cleaner on it (clean both sides)The car idles so much more smoother and does not bog whatsoever. I have a 2002 s2k.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
try cleaning your throttle body plate, my car drives so much more smoother now. I cleaned both the Idle air control valve and the throttle body plate both of which were caked in carbon build up. To access the throttle body plate all you have to do is remove the air intake tube and you will see the plate inside. With the car OFF, open it so that it is completely open and wipe away with a clean rag with carb cleaner on it (clean both sides)The car idles so much more smoother and does not bog whatsoever. I have a 2002 s2k.
Thanks, Carbon. I will definitely give this a try. And thanks for everyone's responses. I'm sure it's nothing serious but I have a lot to learn about the S2k's little quirks.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:30 PM

dont forget to clean the iacv (idle air control valve).There is a DIY on this somewhere, You just loosen the 2 bolts holding it and loosen the vacuum hoses and clean the metal rollers and chamber. Also reset the ecu by pulling the correct fuse and let it idle for a few minutes. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, i posted a thread recently with no real feedback, I have an 07 with 25K.

Its definitely a hesitation after the throttle delivers power briefly, then backs off, then its there again, and its intermittent, and lower RPM 2500-3500. It feels like when VSA cuts power for traction control.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eyal s2k
I have the same issue, i posted a thread recently with no real feedback, I have an 07 with 25K.

Its definitely a hesitation after the throttle delivers power briefly, then backs off, then its there again, and its intermittent, and lower RPM 2500-3500. It feels like when VSA cuts power for traction control.
hmm thats odd, looks like the IACV and dirty throttle plate is not the culprit(worth a try anyways). It seems that this mostly hinders the DBW s2ks.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can think of is to use your gas pedal in a much smoother fashion. I know pressing it too quickly makes it jerky.

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation at low RPM