S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Clutch Replacement Quandry-- Need something less aggressive than ACT

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement Quandry-- Need something less aggressive than ACT

I recently replaced my AP2 clutch with an Exedy OEM Disc and FCC OEM pressure plate. Under heavy acceleration, the pedal is falling to the floor, leading me to believe that the pressure plate does not have enough tension to overcome the centripetal outward force created by the (substantial) weight of the throwout bearing. The clutch is not slipping, but it is as if the throwout bearing is *pulling* the clutch fingers away from the disc, taking the clutch fork and the pedal with it.

Sooo I want to replace this with another pressure plate and possibly disc of quasi-OEM level performance. That is, I dont want or need an ACT super duper SS pressure plate thats chinese made and has 300% greater holding power---that will just wear out the slave cylinder prematurely.

Has anyone purchased a Valeo, Beck Arnley, Daikin-brand or other OEM replacement clutch and had good luck with them?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Compitition clutch stg 2 street disk or stg3 6 puck very easy clutch pedal
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got my SOS sport clutch installed today w/ OEM AP1 fly.. so far it's an amazing clutch. grabs great, smoother and lighter pedal feel compared to OEM, no complaints at all. I highly recommend it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just placed my order for a SOS sport clutch with there 8lb flywheel. i will have in by hopefully next weekend if its here. i will let you know how it is.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What power mods are you running that necessitate a stronger clutch?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
nothing but a Toda flywheel. --thats what Im saying- I dont want an ACT, but exedy/FCC has let me down here. I wish they made a "stage 1" PP (thats not a $500 Mugen ripoff) like they do for the K-series...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1308520912' post='20698540
nothing but a Toda flywheel. --thats what Im saying- I dont want an ACT, but exedy/FCC has let me down here. I wish they made a "stage 1" PP (thats not a $500 Mugen ripoff) like they do for the K-series...
I guess you're kinda missing my point. At stock power, an AP2 with a light flywheel doesn't need a stronger clutch.

When you shift an AP2 hard at high rpms, you can get a slight amount of slippage due to a combination of a heavy flywheel fighting agasint a relatively weak pressure plate. This can be remedied by either installing a lightweight flywheel, or putting in a more aggressive pressure plate. With a toda flywheel, you should have no problems putting down stock power cleanly. I say go back to a stock clutch and be done with it. You can probably pick up a lightly used one for next to nothing.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m' timestamp='1308609389' post='20702194
[quote name='deepbluejh' timestamp='1308520912' post='20698540']
I guess you're kinda missing my point. At stock power, an AP2 with a light flywheel doesn't need a stronger clutch.

When you shift an AP2 hard at high rpms, you can get a slight amount of slippage due to a combination of a heavy flywheel fighting agasint a relatively weak pressure plate. This can be remedied by either installing a lightweight flywheel, or putting in a more aggressive pressure plate. With a toda flywheel, you should have no problems putting down stock power cleanly. I say go back to a stock clutch and be done with it. You can probably pick up a lightly used one for next to nothing.
[/quote]

This isnt a stronger clutch. Its an OEM. Also, it is not directly related to shifting. It is related to high-rpm acceleration. Centripetal force.

5.0 Fords and all LSx GMs have/had the same problem.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM

the clutch needs to be broken in and you should bleed the slave cylinder.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
the clutch needs to be broken in and you should bleed the slave cylinder.
Thank you, however I dont know why everyone thinks that will solve the problem (referring to this forum and others pertaining to other platforms), but noone offers any rationale for why they believe that is actually relevant. If anything, air in the lines would reduce static pressure the plunger may exert on the clutch fork. Nevertheless, the clutch fork should not be moving under heavy acceleration. It is being moved by something other than the slave cylinder.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement Quandry-- Need something less aggressive than ACT