Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low fuel pressure?

#1 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Group: Guest

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a fuel pressure gauge, a 340 lph fuel pump,and an AEM fuel pressure regulator. Before these parts were purchased, I had a Walboro 255. I'm currently running Deastcwerks 1000 cc injectors. My first issue is that when I turn my car off, the fuel pressure instantly drops to zero with my AEM FPR. I switched it back to the stock FPR, and it holds at 29 psi after i turn the engine off. Is this normal for an AEM APR, and is 29 psi normal pressure for the stock FPR? The next problem is, my fuel pressure on the stock regulator is at 40 psi with vacuum line disconnected, with the Vacuum line connected, it's at 35 psi. Isn't this very low? I thought the stock fuel pressure was suppose to be at 50 psi unconnected, and 40 psi connected. My fuel pump is brand new, and i did not find any leaks around my injectors or lines. For the fuel pump install, I used the stock clamps to connect the fuel line to the fuel pump.
Posted Image
500 hub horses on dynopak at 15psi. E85. :)

#2 User is offline   B5254T4 

• Interests:Cars, girls and JD.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

I had 45psi base pressure on my OEM regulator and used the same on the AEM. My tuner wanted the vacuum line connected and that gave around 60psi at 14psi boost.

Don´t know about the drop after you turn it off, never tested it on this car but know that a few race pumps come without the one way valve that OEM pumps have and then it would be normal. Maybe we have that valve in the FPR instead?
Either way you don´t need it if you can run the pump on ignition a few sec before cranking, that will help you reach the right pressure before start.
Posted Image

--- Check http://www.operationr.com for Volvo and Honda info. ---

Version 1.0 - 470whp@14psi -> http://www.s2ki.com/...4s-turbo-build/
Version 1.1 - 542whp@20psi on 93 pump. :)
Version 2.0 - Building engine and tranny right now.

#3 User is offline   o'malley_808 

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

The aem fpr won't hold fuel pressure once the car is off. Due to the nature of the design it's essentially an adjustable bleed type system. Mine does the same. Nothing to be worried about. Your stock fuel pressure does seem low though
Posted ImagePosted Image
PFAB Equal length with BB 6262 - 607whp 440tq

#4 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Topic Starter

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

View Posto, on 27 June 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

The aem fpr won't hold fuel pressure once the car is off. Due to the nature of the design it's essentially an adjustable bleed type system. Mine does the same. Nothing to be worried about. Your stock fuel pressure does seem low though

Thanks. My fuel pressure actually dropped down to 32 psi today, which I blame on 113 degree weather. I could turn up my fuel pressure with the AEM, but I feel like that would just be a bandage hiding the real issue. I have a completely new fuel system, just don't get why it would be that low unless I have a leak somewhere.

#5 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Topic Starter

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

View PostB5254T4, on 27 June 2011 - 05:08 PM, said:

I had 45psi base pressure on my OEM regulator and used the same on the AEM. My tuner wanted the vacuum line connected and that gave around 60psi at 14psi boost.

Don´t know about the drop after you turn it off, never tested it on this car but know that a few race pumps come without the one way valve that OEM pumps have and then it would be normal. Maybe we have that valve in the FPR instead?
Either way you don´t need it if you can run the pump on ignition a few sec before cranking, that will help you reach the right pressure before start.

Was the 45 psi base pressure with the vacuum line connected?

#6 User is offline   B5254T4 

• Interests:Cars, girls and JD.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

Vacuum line off for the 45psi.

Check the pump hose, the short one in the tank. If you have a leak there you´ll lose (loose?) pressure.

#7 User is offline   jefferyg32 

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

The AEM comes with 3 relief fittings for the bottom of the regulator. With the 340 pump i would use the middle one provided. Your stock fuel pressure does seem low.
F-Signatures

#8 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Topic Starter

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

View PostB5254T4, on 27 June 2011 - 11:24 PM, said:

Vacuum line off for the 45psi.

Check the pump hose, the short one in the tank. If you have a leak there you´ll lose (loose?) pressure.

That's the only thing it could be. I'm gonna replace it this weekend and use the screw clamps provided instead. I will provide updates if this fixes the issue.

#9 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Topic Starter

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:10 AM

View Postjefferyg32, on 27 June 2011 - 11:57 PM, said:

The AEM comes with 3 relief fittings for the bottom of the regulator. With the 340 pump i would use the middle one provided. Your stock fuel pressure does seem low.

Thanks. I'm gonna put the AEM back in once I figure out where my pressure is going.

#10 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Topic Starter

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

I just replaced the in tank fuel line, and used different clamps. My fuel pressure is still at 35 psi at idle. Maybe my 1000 cc injectors are draining too much fuel too fast from my fuel rail? Whatever it is, i'm just going to put the AEM FPR back in, and turn the fuel pressure to 40 psi.

#11 User is offline   alanpikku 

• Topic Starter

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

Btw, car idles leaner with fuel pressure turned up, but runs rich under throttle, WTF?

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users