S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

T1R 70R-EM Sparrow Dual Exhaust?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T1R 70R-EM Sparrow Dual Exhaust?

Anyone running this exhaust or know about the power gains? Shows dyno claims of 15whp gain on stock s2000. Runs 1300.00 is it worth it? Or know a cheaper vendor?

Also Tuned deep throaty tone with close to zero droning.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver&stoned
Anyone running this exhaust or know about the power gains? Shows dyno claims of 15whp gain on stock s2000. Runs 1300.00 is it worth it? Or know a cheaper vendor?

I just installed mine about 2 weeks ago, ill break it down for you,

price:
i bought it (lightly) used for $850 which is considerably less than buying new and in the same price range of buying say the greddy ti-c new

quality:
even being used for a few thousand miles, the quality is great. very little, almost no rust, awesome looking welds, great coloring on the tips, very nice piece

install:
pretty easy and straight forward, the hardest part is either the third, top, nut on the cat or trying to get the stock exhaust off the rubber hangers (use grease or lube, makes it much easier)

first impression:
VERY LOUD, when i first put it on, great sound. just awesome, it purred at idle and just great, deep overall sound. i took it out for a drive and the drone was incredibly loud. i almost wanted to take it off immediately, it hurt your ears to drive.

a week or so later:
after replacing all my exhaust gaskets and possibly "breaking it in" (or maybe im just going deaf) the exhaust has quieted down alot. close to no drone at all under acceleration, and just a bit of drone under engine braking/decel at mid rpms. idle is great, cruising speeds it sounds just right, and in vtec it sounds alot like stock exhaust, just a little louder.

power:
noticable gains, but would probably benefit more with a tune, definitely looks great and is much lighter than stock

overall, it was a good buy, once you get used to it, it quiets down and i really dont have any complaints about it now. however, if i was buying it new, i dont think i would spring for the 1300 price tag

good luck!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 AM

This exhaust is very loud and I would still pay $850 for the one jbird0007 picked up!

Originally Posted by jbird0007
Originally Posted by Silver&stoned' timestamp='1310487392' post='20771203

I just installed mine about 2 weeks ago, ill break it down for you,

price:
i bought it (lightly) used for $850 which is considerably less than buying new and in the same price range of buying say the greddy ti-c new

quality:
even being used for a few thousand miles, the quality is great. very little, almost no rust, awesome looking welds, great coloring on the tips, very nice piece

install:
pretty easy and straight forward, the hardest part is either the third, top, nut on the cat or trying to get the stock exhaust off the rubber hangers (use grease or lube, makes it much easier)

first impression:
VERY LOUD, when i first put it on, great sound. just awesome, it purred at idle and just great, deep overall sound. i took it out for a drive and the drone was incredibly loud. i almost wanted to take it off immediately, it hurt your ears to drive.

a week or so later:
after replacing all my exhaust gaskets and possibly "breaking it in" (or maybe im just going deaf) the exhaust has quieted down alot. close to no drone at all under acceleration, and just a bit of drone under engine braking/decel at mid rpms. idle is great, cruising speeds it sounds just right, and in vtec it sounds alot like stock exhaust, just a little louder.

power:
noticable gains, but would probably benefit more with a tune, definitely looks great and is much lighter than stock

overall, it was a good buy, once you get used to it, it quiets down and i really dont have any complaints about it now. however, if i was buying it new, i dont think i would spring for the 1300 price tag

good luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM

very loud? this has to be the most quietest 70mm dual available.. sounds great cruising and throaty at WOT. price is a lil high but worth the money
Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for about 2 years now. As far as looks go, I think it's great. It doesnt look overly aftermarket, but looks shiny and the blue tips are a nice touch.

As far as quality, I have seen a few other owners notice that one side fits slightly higher/sticks out further than the other. This can be adjusted slightly while installing, so I would recommend having someone hold the exhaust in place firmly while you tighten down all of the bolts. I had to bend part of one of the hangers slightly to get mine to fit just right.. and it was next to impossible to bend. So at least I know its durable.

The sound. I love it. Nothing else like it. I went to a meet a while back and before we went off on a group drive, everyone was revving their engines. A lot of them were higher pitch sounds, or just sound like loud engine noise. The 70em has a beautiful low rumble to it. The drone is there at certain decel rpm's, but honestly, even stock this car is noisy just from the sound of the engine. And when you do get on it and hit 9k rpms, I promise nothing on the road will even compare in terms of sound :]

Performance. I got my car dyno'ed with all bolt on's, and then got it dyno'ed again with a tune. Zero change for me. Not sure how this compared to stock, but I suppose that every engine/tuner/dyno is different.

Problems: T1r products have been known to have bad fitment. I experienced this with my exhaust as mentioned, and I also experienced this with my header. I had to contact evasive motorsports for a special t1r extra thick gasket to seal the area between the header and the engine where there were several exhaust leaks. I also have an invida 70mm tp installed, and the springy-bolt things that hold the header to the tp do not fit well. This leads to rattling or squeaking due to one of the springs vibrating loosely against the tp. This goes away after the car heats up. Again, this could be due to the tp, but just keep in mind that t1r fitment is not always 100%.

Bottom line, get the exhaust if you can afford it, but be sure to check and double check the fitment to make sure you are happy with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWJOtDFAV4[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV82raLR6is
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 PM

I have the dual sparrow 63mm but i have my oem cat i want to put a testpipe is it gonna make it wAy louder?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this exhaust and love it, when I brought it out to the local S gathering for the first time I got tons of questions about what exhaust it was and how great it sounds. I got mine for a steal at $700 since I bought a few other things off the person used. Personally I find the volume great, slightly louder than stock and much deeper. Drone is minimal on mine, there is some deep "drone" I guess you could call it on decel from 4-3000 rpm. I usually consider drone the noise that is present when cruising in which case this exhaust has very little of it.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:19 AM
R_W

I am interested in this exhaust as well, and my primary concern is fitment issues. I have heard rumor that a lot of fitment issues have been fixed within the past few years. Does any one else have any expierence with the fitment?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 AM

you guys forget to mention if you are running test pipes, high flow cats, or stock cat. HUGE difference for exhaust sound. I have a Q300 and TP and thinking about either installing a HF cat or just buying this exhaust..But i want to hear it with a test pipe!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I'll let you know Monday, after I drive it home (new purchase), as mine has the test pipe setup. We'll see how I like it driving from Toronto to Cincinnati.

Quick Reply: T1R 70R-EM Sparrow Dual Exhaust?