S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power steering issues!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issues!

Hey guys dont know if theres any EPS gurus out there but im having some serious problems with the power steering. Power steering sometimes works and sometimes doesnt when it doesnt work no EPS light goes on!!!! Also when the powersteering does work its totally fine on smooth roads but when on rough bumpy roads power steering will shut off. Also once in a while when it does work the steering wheel will move by itself to the right (like a ghost is moving it lol) and sometimes wheel will twitch when turning right but does not do it when turning left. To sum it all up somedays the power steer works and some days the damn thing wont work!!! (when i describe the wheel moves by itself and sometimes twitches when turning right is very rare only happens once in a while) I have been having these problems for about 6 months now its driving me insane Any help will be appreciated thanks!!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Does it start to cut out if you use it a lot? like if your parked and just turn the wheel lock to lock like 10 times? If so the motor is on its way out. normally hot weather starts to get them to act up. Best bet its to bring it to the dealer and let them hook the scantool up to it. they can see trouble codes that may be set but not strong enough codes to set the light on yet. They can also see every value the electric p/s computer sees and can tell if one sensor or motor is acting up.

Best bet is to keep playing with it and figure out if you can hou you can get it to act up. as it would be easier to diagnose.

good luck.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 AM

No it works fine untill bumpy roads or any jolts to the front end. I checked if the connectors were loose that connect to the torque sensor ontop of the steering rack and noticed the insides of them were corroded. I think that's why the steering sometimes works a case of bad connection, I'm going to replace them hopefully this will solve the problems. But why does the steering wheel sometimes move by itself to the right? And sometimes twitches when making a right turn? Also sometimes its easier to turn right than left.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the info J5sense worse case senario I will go to the dealer see what the electric p/s will tell them. Anybody else have any inputs?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by silverstoneds2k
Thanks for the info J5sense worse case senario I will go to the dealer see what the electric p/s will tell them. Anybody else have any inputs?
To be honest, it sounds like something in there is loose. A cable, Or maybe the fuse. try see if the fuse is all ok. the symptoms you mention is while on a bumpy road which may be moving around something that's gone loose. and under turn may be again tilting whatever is loose. just an assumption really.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by silverstoneds2k
Also, have you tried the torque sensor reset procedure? my car was steering off to the left and really stiff to turn right, where as turning left was really easy. made sure my wheels were aligned and the torque sensor reset worked.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for ur input alps I have not tried the torque sensor reset procedure I will give it a try has anyone had similar problems as I do with the powersteering? If anyone else have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated thanks guys
Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM

How did you go with this? End up fixing it?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Bump - same problem for me...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 AM

Same issue here too. But only on cold starts. Eps comes back after about 10min of driving the car.

Quick Reply: Power steering issues!