California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use

Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use

Who has gotten a VC Section 23123 ticket, and what was the fine, what was your approach to fighting or paying it off?

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23123.htm

I was exiting the freeway (top down) using speaker phone, but holding the phone to my ear because the wind noise is too much to use bluetooth on the freeway or have the speaker sitting in the center console. Cop was on a bike in East Palo Alto, and busted me instantly. Told the cop my story, and he said "its called the hands free law, so you cant use your hands". I didn't claim it was an emergency call or anything, I just signed the ticket and stayed polite.

Funny how he must have seen me on the phone through my raised tinted windows, but didn't care to write me a ticket for that (or "modified exhaust", lol). I guess I should be grateful, somehow. Maybe that's where my politeness helped out.

How much is this really going to cost me?
I assume someone must have gotten a cell phone ticket recently in San Mateo County, or in East Palo Alto.

Sidenote: you would think that the cops in East Palo Alto would have bigger crimes to deal with other than cell phone usage, but I guess not. I was actually on my way to get sharpies at Office Depot for the next sharpie car art project. Now these sharpies just turned into the most expensive set of sharpies in the world.

I'm not posting to get an armchair moral lashing about using the phone while driving. Yes, I own a Jawbone, and I just chose not to use it because I've been getting a lot of flack about the wind noise when using the jaw bone top down. Lesson learned, flame retardant suit engaged, but save it for someone else and answer my question politely, please?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

on the sidenote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In santa clara county, my friend had to pay about 210 for his.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's with all the processing fees
Old 08-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a moving violation, correct? Does that mean you have to attend traffic school?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM

That's one of those tickets that has a fixed fee, and it's pretty hard to fight it since it's basically your word vs. the LEO's. It wont affect insurance though.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/show...t=91762&page=1
Old 08-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
This is a moving violation, correct? Does that mean you have to attend traffic school?
(EDIT: My understanding, based on asking the citing officer is that) "it's not a moving violation", and (EDIT: thus my assumption) it is not possible to attend traffic school for it, because its not a moving violation. No points on my license.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 PM

I thought they just raised the fine, and make you go to traffic school too. I think that was what I've heard

EDIT: just double checked $148 for first time and $256 for repeated. Additional fees not included. Not sure about traffic school.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by s2khac
I thought they just raised the fine, and make you go to traffic school too. I think that was what I've heard

EDIT: just double checked $148 for first time and $256 for repeated. Additional fees not included. Not sure about traffic school.
Please post the link to your source for information.
This will be helpful for me, and for other's who may be in my shoes someday.
I keep finding different figures when I search for the actual fine amount.
All I know is the "$20" written in the actual law is a fraction of the "out the door" cost.

I called the court today and the lady who answered the phone said that for a first time offense, to expect a $150-$200 fine.

Quick Reply: VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use