California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use

Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.4mrticket.com/california-...ines-2011.html, http://www.nerdbusters.net/2011/08/c...ines-for-2011/, and a few other websites pretty much confirms it for me
Old 08-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the first time is the cheapest. that's all i remember..lol. second time is double, third time is almost 7 times as the first
Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 AM

You probably already got the ticket in the mail.. from the below article(today's news) it's $189 and they try to raise it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...nclick_check=1
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My friend is SJPD and sheriff's in SC county, basically they told me plan to spent at least x2 Benji's so yes that would be the most expensive set of Sharpies you ever bought! (imagine how many you could have bought with that much money...haha)

No choice but to pay the fine, not much else to do and no excuses really...in an s2000 bluetooth is useless really top down and even top up is questionable so basically stay off the phone while you are driving.

Sidenote: Totally agree that EPA police has better things to do and surprised they even have a budget for motorcycle cops! Was it a BMW or Harley or Honda?

Sidenote #2: Last night I got super lucky since I was parked at a stoplight at night and just glanced at my phone really quick and got this bright light flashed at me from passenger window! I thought it was some punk kids and just before I looked over to shout some curse words, I see two SJPD cars in 2 lanes both next to me. Instead he commented nice ride and mentioned no phone usage and they took off *lesson learned
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpwuster
You probably already got the ticket in the mail.. from the below article(today's news) it's $189 and they try to raise it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...nclick_check=1
Nothing but a money grab. It's been proven already that the danger is just talking on the phone, not if it's hands free or not. If they are really concerned about safety, ban cell phone use all together.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gpwuster
You probably already got the ticket in the mail.. from the below article(today's news) it's $189 and they try to raise it. http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...nclick_check=1
So far, still no ticket in the mail. I hate that feeling when you get a ticket in the mail, so I'm avoiding the mailbox these days!

Originally Posted by s4play
Was it a BMW or Harley or Honda?
The bike sounded very much like a Harley. It was roaring and he started it with a loud rev that caught my attention.

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Nothing but a money grab. It's been proven already that the danger is just talking on the phone, not if it's hands free or not. If they are really concerned about safety, ban cell phone use all together.
As a non-coffee drinker, I'd vote for a law that gives tickets to those who drive with a scalding hot coffee cup in one hand. In my opinion that is more dangerous than a cell phone, though if being distracted is the issue that could be debated. Would be funny to see the cops have to test the temperature of the beverage before giving a ticket. Not to mention, how many cops do you see driving one handed with a Starbucks in the other hand?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFcIpzF7pc
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
As a non-coffee drinker, I'd vote for a law that gives tickets to those who drive with a scalding hot coffee cup in one hand. In my opinion that is more dangerous than a cell phone, though if being distracted is the issue that could be debated. Would be funny to see the cops have to test the temperature of the beverage before giving a ticket. Not to mention, how many cops do you see driving one handed with a Starbucks in the other hand?
It's not a physical issue (i.e. holding the phone/holding a cup of coffee) it's the fact that when using a phone and driving (hands free or not) you are splitting your thoughts/attention/mind between 2 things. Like Voodoo said, it's been proven.

Sorry to hear about the ticket and thanks for posting. This is a good reminder for me.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think i paid about $200 for a first-time violation. talking on a cell phone is not worth it financially or from a safety perspective
Old 08-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Offtrack
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1313513794' post='20883131
It's not a physical issue (i.e. holding the phone/holding a cup of coffee) it's the fact that when using a phone and driving (hands free or not) you are splitting your thoughts/attention/mind between 2 things. Like Voodoo said, it's been proven.

Sorry to hear about the ticket and thanks for posting. This is a good reminder for me.
Let my mistake be a friendly reminder for all.

I see what you mean about the mental connection vs. hands connection. Can we agree that those who read a novel while driving are equally distracted compared to cell phone users? I've seen a lot of people reading while driving, and I'm not talking about reading a map while sitting parked at a stop lights, rather, while in motion.

Quick Reply: VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use