Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Evans Tuning e-tune review

#1 User is offline   Syn 

• Group: Guest

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

I decided to get an e-tune for my car after I installed a test pipe because I wanted to take full advantage of the increase in midrange power/torque that I could get. Plus for the long-term I wanted to have a tune tailored to my own car rather than run a preloaded calibration. I figured if I already spent $700 on the Flashpro why would I not spend just a little more to get a custom tune by such a reputable tuner. I wanted to share my experience with anyone considering an e-tune:

I purchased the e-tune a few weeks ago and got my first calibration from Jeff. I loaded the calibration, logged the car and sent the logs back figuring it would be a few days before I got a revised calibration. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the next revision less than 24 hours later. This quick turnaround time continued throughout the whole process.

By the third revision to my tune I could already feel a big difference in the way the car drove. Everything was much more smooth. It just kept improving from there. Now that I am on my final tune the car drives flawlessly. Part-throttle driving around town is perfect and wide open throttle pulls feel amazing. The car drives much better than when I was stock running the "stock tuned" Flashpro calibration that came preloaded on the device. It even feels smoother than it did on the factory tune before I ever purchased the Flashpro. My WOT A/F ratio is consistent throughout the rev range and the car pulls harder than it ever did before.

Any time I had questions (which was often) Jeff would answer them in the next email. It was nice to have this personal attention from the best in the business.

I am extremely happy with my e-tune experience. This is hands-down the best "mod" I have done to my car. A custom tune is essential to anyone modding their car. For me an e-tune was the perfect solution because I did not want to drive several hours to find a reputable tuner and I wanted my tune to come from a shop that specialized in Flashpro tuning. I also like that my tune took into account dozens of real-world datalogs in a variety of ambient temperatures.

Bottom line: An e-tune is money well spent. I had an excellent experience with Evans Tuning and I recommend them to anyone who is modifying their car or considering a custom tune.
Posted Image
2006 S2000 - Flashpro tuned by Gernby, 60mm test pipe [vtec: 3600-8500rpm], BFG G-Force Rivals, AP1 slave cylinder
1999 Trans Am - bolt-ons
1992 3000GT VR-4 - bolt-ons - sold
1966 Impala convertible - stock 327/Powerglide - currently in storage

#2 User is offline   //steve\\ 

• Group: Member

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

How much is the e-tune again? And how many different calibrations did it take before you guys decided everything looked good?

#3 User is offline   Syn 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

It is $150 if you purchased Flashpro from Evans or $200 if you did not. And then $100 for a re-tune if you've already gotten one on that setup. I had already bought a Flashpro from Science of Speed so I paid $200. It was well worth it though.

In total there were 9 calibrations. I've read other people have done it in anywhere from 6 to 12 so I was right in the middle. At calibration 3 it was feeling noticeably better. By 6 or 7 it was pretty much perfect as far as the elimination of knock and stabilization of A/F ratio--the last 2 or 3 were just getting the long term fuel trim close to 0 to maximize MPG.

The car is really great to drive now (not that it wasn't before, it's just that much better). With the testpipe I have my vtec at 4200 rpm with the 8500 redline. There is so much more useable power/torque under the curve and it's especially noticed/appreciated when driving around town. It's also very much prevalent on WOT pulls as well. I just love the way the car drives now. It's so much easier to stay in the powerband vs. stock. Gone are the days of shifting as fast as I can and just barely staying in the powerband especially on the 1-2 shift. The only other thing I'm going to do to this car now is an AP1 flywheel whenever my clutch goes. I'm happy with where it's at power-wise (short of going forced induction which will have to wait until I get a house!)

#4 User is offline   //steve\\ 

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

^Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I also plan to keep my setup pretty simple much like yours although I'm tempted to add a good single exhaust on top. And I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you need to shift super fast to stay in the power. I might very well have to look into this!

#5 User is offline   japhethwar 

• View gallery

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Evan's is the man on these cars. E-tuned my turbo setup and it runs flawlessly. Do not hesitate to use him. A+ tuner.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image "Success is earned, not owed."

#6 User is offline   Biohazard 

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

I agree, evans tuned my CR with intake, tp, and exhaust and it runs amazing out on the road courses.
Posted Image
Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage.

#7 User is offline   //steve\\ 

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

For you n/a guys where is your vtec set? and did you start from the stock calibration or one he sent?

#8 User is offline   Syn 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Mine is 4200. You can get down this low with just a testpipe--it is the piece that allows you to drop the engagement point, not a header or catback. The other two pieces in addition may allow you to go lower yet, though.

He sends you a base tune based on your mod list and you go from there.

#9 User is offline   S2k-2NV 

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Mine is set at 5500
2006 Black S2000
238awhp/170tq K&N Fipk, Headers, custom test pipe, Invidia Q300, Hondata Flashpro, Endura-tech hood dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R 20mm spacers, Veilside V1 replica spoiler, 118db hella horns, CR lip, Heated seats, Alpine 9884 HU, PG door components, JL w3v3 sub, alpine vpower amp, Hawk DTC60 pads/stoptech pads

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   twinpnoy84 

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

Nice. I plan on getting this done as well. Probably just an fipk intake and a test pipe only. I like my stock exhaust. Its good enough for me.

#11 User is offline   //steve\\ 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

A testpipe is definitely a must in my opinion but I'm not 100% sure on the exhaust yet. And if I'm paying for it I want him tuning the setup that will actually be on the car.

#12 User is offline   Biohazard 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

View PostSyn, on 10 October 2011 - 07:50 PM, said:

Mine is 4200. You can get down this low with just a testpipe--it is the piece that allows you to drop the engagement point, not a header or catback. The other two pieces in addition may allow you to go lower yet, though.

He sends you a base tune based on your mod list and you go from there.

I am set at 3600 with intake, testpipe, and exhaust for those asking for a lower vtec. Seamless!

#13 User is offline   MegaTRon 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

did you run the Toda callibration before getting tune by Evan? Can you compare the Toda callibration vs Evan's?
GPW MY06

#14 User is offline   Biohazard 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

yes, we did an overlay on the two different tunes (toda tune and custom). Jeff got me a bit more mid range and top end power and more importantly the afr were consistent at 12.9 at open throttle on 3rd gear pull, power was more linear, fuel milage better on highway, and 0 knocks.

Hope this helps

#15 User is offline   MegaTRon 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

thanks. i guess its time to get e-tune! lol

#16 User is offline   Syn 

• Topic Starter

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, I ran the Toda flash for half a day after swapping in the testpipe and before submitting the etune payment. There was knock in my datalogs (not a whole lot but it was there) and more importantly the car simply did not run smoothly. A/F ratios were all over the place.

If you eliminate your cat I would suggest running on a preloaded tune only as a very temporary fix until you can start on a custom tune--and I would definitely not push the car on a preloaded tune. It's not worth it to risk the engine not to mention all the power and MPG left on the table by using a canned tune.

#17 User is offline   ryanvo 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

i had etune by Jeff Evans too. car runs better than stock, makes more power than local tuner. we did about six logs. just dyno 376whp, 235 tq compare to 373whp, 230 tg from local tuner. i think Jeff is excellent tuner, highly recomended.
mod: sos stage 2 supercharger,cc clutch and flywheel, berk header, and berk hfc, koyo radiator, misimoto fan, dyno 435 whp, 265 tq, tune by Jeff Evans.

#18 User is offline   mrscbw 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

What are your idle and part throttle afr's at? Also, did you notice any significant changes on the ignition map?

#19 User is offline   //steve\\ 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

I'm really tempted to look into this. I'm most impressed that you boosted guys are able to get good tunes without being in front of a tuner on a dyno.

#20 User is offline   mrscbw 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

I am curious on how they would work the ignition map..

#21 User is offline   //steve\\ 

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

I imagine is all using the datalogs. Obviously you can't get be so aggressive without having the car on a dyno but a street tune should be good enough for you to go out and beat on the car all your want you'll likely just be leaving some power on the table. I know not all setups are identical but for the most common ones I know there are generally known limits and best guesses at where ignition timing should be.

#22 User is offline   xredjar 

• Interests:Does it have wheels?

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

View Post//steve\\, on 12 October 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

I imagine is all using the datalogs. Obviously you can't get be so aggressive without having the car on a dyno but a street tune should be good enough for you to go out and beat on the car all your want you'll likely just be leaving some power on the table. I know not all setups are identical but for the most common ones I know there are generally known limits and best guesses at where ignition timing should be.

Pretty much spot on with this ^^. I had a custom tune done by E-Tunez and from reading this thread....it sounds like they both approach it the same way. Without being on a dyno, your not going to get "spot on" with the ignition, and for just a street tune...being a little conservative is best. May be leaving a little bit of power on the table, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
--Never drive faster than you can see--

---Hondata FlashPro --- E-tunez Custom Tune --- Injen Cold Air Intake
--- Innovate LC-1 Wideband --- Fujitsubo Legalis R --- KW V3

S2000: It's what every Miata wants to be when it grows up.

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   liquidgsr 

• View gallery

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Im definately looking into getting a E-Tune done next...I talked to xredjar about it for a bit and its going to my next move...I will keep this one in in mind. Thanks.
Posted Image Posted Image

240hp/170tq Comptech I/H/E Asura HiFlow Cat on a nice cold morning on a Dyno Jet.
657/458tq E85@22psi KingsV2, S262, FB Fuel system Dual FB340s

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users