S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What brand of shocks do you use?
Penske
12.84%
Moton
8.11%
AST
6.08%
Ohlins
11.49%
JRZ
5.41%
Sachs
0%
Koni Yellow (Sport)
14.19%
Bilstein
4.73%
KW
9.46%
Tein
6.76%
Other
19.59%
Koni Mono Tube
1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Shock / Damper and Springs Discussion

Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Originally Posted by josh7owens' timestamp='1319501054' post='21097731
Tom-

Yea when they rebuild them and put on new shorter shock on I think I'm going to leave off the helper spring since it's scaring up the shock body. I'll prolly leave them in the front of the car though.
Why are your helper springs rubbing on the shock bodies? They should be the same ID as the main springs?

they are but as you can see they have rubed the dust cap and scratched it up. I'm guessing the clearence is so tight that any wiggle in the spring at all it moves enough to come incontact with. So should I run the helper spring and but it on the bottom instead of the top of the spring? This will keep it from rubbing the shock body. Random1 (Rob) doesn't run rear helper springs...

look at the helper spring perch and look at the dust cap.. you can see what rubs.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
No, that's not how it works.

Think of it this way - when you put the car down the helper is fully compressed into a spacer. Therefore it's no different than moving the spring perch up since it's just a spacer.
Most all helper spring setups will take up some shock travel by design

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f.../photo_04.html

on this setup, if you put zero pre-load on the springs, you will essentially take away almost all the shock travel showing b/t the top and bottom of the helper spring thus shortening the total travel available b/c the shock shaft is now further into the shock body while the car is resting on the main spring.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064' timestamp='1319501964' post='21097777

Think of it this way - when you put the car down the helper is fully compressed into a spacer. Therefore it's no different than moving the spring perch up since it's just a spacer.

on this setup, if you put zero pre-load on the springs, you will essentially take away almost all the shock travel showing b/t the top and bottom of the helper spring thus shortening the total travel available b/c the shock shaft is now further into the shock body while the car is resting on the main spring.
I think you and TTMartin have the shock travel misunderstood. The bottom line is ride height. The shock body is connected to the lower control arm. The shock shaft is connected to the chassis. In order to achieve a given ride height the relationship of the lower control arm and chassis is fixed. The same goes for the shock body and shock shaft since they are attached to the lower control arm and chassis. Whether or not you have take up (helper) springs and dividers those relationships do not change. What is different is where the lower perch is to achieve the ride height. It will just be lower (as already mentioned) when the helper spring and divider are in place.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM

SO the question is to run a helper spring or no? If so shoud it be below the main spring or above like in my picture? I've seen them both ways.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Random1
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1319503431' post='21097853
[quote name='IntegraR0064' timestamp='1319501964' post='21097777']

I think you and TTMartin have the shock travel misunderstood. The bottom line is ride height. The shock body is connected to the lower control arm. The shock shaft is connected to the chassis. In order to achieve a given ride height the relationship of the lower control arm and chassis is fixed. The same goes for the shock body and shock shaft since they are attached to the lower control arm and chassis. Whether or not you have take up (helper) springs and dividers those relationships do not change. What is different is where the lower perch is to achieve the ride height. It will just be lower (as already mentioned) when the helper spring and divider are in place.
[/quote]

Exactly, thanks for typing that.

Originally Posted by josh7owens
SO the question is to run a helper spring or no? If so shoud it be below the main spring or above like in my picture? I've seen them both ways.
Helper springs are a good idea although they're not absolutely necessary. As Rob and I have said, having the helper spring doesn't change your shock travel unless the helper spring itself is interfering with the shock, like it sounds like it is. If putting it on the bottom will make it so that won't happen then go for it. Just make sure the helper spring is stiff enough that the weight of the main spring doesn't compress it enough to unseat the spring. I would be surprised if they were that soft (it would need to be less than like 5 lb/in), but just make sure by checking to see that the spring stays seated when you're drooped.

As another option you could maybe go with 2.5" springs? I'm assuming you're using something smaller than that if you're having ID clearance issues.

Are you using helper spring guides? They might help too.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM

I'm using 2.25" springs. Not sure what a helper spring guide is but basicly theres the lower spring (the adjustable one on the shock body), then the spring, another perch (black thing in picture), helper spring, tophat/upper perch. So right now for the shock to compress more then 40mm it has to slide the body inside of the helper spring perch and inside the helper spring if it compresses that much. I was thinking if I put the helper spring and that perch under the main spring then the body wouldn't have to pass through these when compressing more then 40mm. When the car is on the ground the helper spring and helper perch would just act as the spring perch right?

I don't want my new shock bodys scatched up
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Right, exactly. I've never put them upside down like that but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work, again making sure that the weight of the spring doesn't unseat everything making the helper spring useless.

And yes, the "black thing" is presumably a helper spring guide.

2.5" springs would give you more clearance if you want to be very sure, koni sells adapters.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM

the helper springs are very weak, I don;t think they would be a issue.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Shocks: Penske 8300
Shock Body Length: Front = TBD " --- Rear = TBD"
Valving: Custom
Pistons: Front Compression - Linear
Front Rebound - Linear
Rear Compression - Linear
Rear Rebound - Linear

Springs: Hyperco 6" 800f/600r

Car: 2006 S2000 AP2

Ride height: 12.75"f/12.5"r hub center to metal fender edge
Tires: 255/40R17 Hankook RS3
Wheels: Volk CE28 17x9
Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "take up springs" that I use on the bottom are Hypercoil 25 lb/in. and they are 4" long.

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5077505-hype...i-d-25-lb.html

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Shock / Damper and Springs Discussion