Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

I just can't watch F1 anymore

Old 10-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just can't watch F1 anymore

I had been an F1 fan for years, but I've finally figured out why F1 just bores me to tears lately. I thought it was single engine types, but that wasn't it, I thought is was the lack of passing, that wasn't it. It is simply the common ECU and rev limiter. Nothing blows up, the chassis are not pushed to the limit on a consistant basis and there is no excitement after the first two laps. I watch the start and then fast forward though the race. Even qualifying I only watch the last 3 minutes of each segment. I want to see motors at 22,000 RPM plus and teams risking blowing up to win a race, they've tried to limit the aero, but aero isn't the problem, it is just lack of excitement. It is just modern restrictor plate racing, it really just sucks.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm too young to remember the late 80's early 90's of F1 but was there more passing then? All of the videos I see of old races it seems as if prost/senna/mansell and others were ALWAYS dicing it up. Now like you said after the first 2 laps its horrible to watch. Were the engines unrestricted in configuration 20 yrs ago?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:25 AM

I was ANARCHY in the old days, they had engines just for four lap qualifying, after that they were nearly junk, 1200+ HP massive boost on a V6 for 10 minutes, racing next to a flat twelve next to a V8. They all sounded different, each had different allowable specs, they all broke all the time, nothing lasted more than 90 minutes. Then they went to V10s which were all of the same broad formula, but some were better than others, then the V8s came in and some leftover v10s that were restricted, then all V8s, now V*s with the same ECU and I believe 18K rev limit. They've tried to mix things up with DRS and energy recovery systems, but it truly blows. The only thing now is that all the money they spent on engines, they spend on aero.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

It still holds interest for me. Granted I only started well and truly following it since the Schumacher era, but I still derive fun from it.

You would not be the only person to have lost interest though. I've heard several people say that they have lost interest in F1 as it currently is. Perhaps someday I'll find myself losing interest as well, but until then I will continue to watch. We've had some great races this season with Button's come-from-behind win in Canada as well as Monaco, Hungary and Spa (remember the move Webber pulled on Alonso).

Also the drivers today are all trained and well-mannered. Nothing of the wild-childs of the past like James Hunt for example. Also perhaps as the economy improves and more manufacturers move back into the sport, there could be a push for more easing of restrictions. As of now cost-containment and efficiency seems to be their mantra.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM

I too would like to see more configurations. I think that being F1, and essentially the highest level of racing in the world, that they should be allowed to make the cars however they want to make them as fast as the rules allow. I have heard ideas like give them a certain amount of fuel that they are allowed to use, and let that be the limiting factor on how much power they can make. As for aero make some restrictions, but let it be much more "figure out what works best within the guidelines and have at it."

It does take some of the excitement out when all the cars look essentially the same, they all have essentially the same engine, and all make the same noise.

If I were running the FIA my rough outline would be"
You have "X" amount of fuel for Qualifying and the race. Use whatever engine you like, and do whatever you want with it. This would mean that the teams who didn't qualify as well could potentially have more fuel meaning more power for the race.
You may make the front and rear wings "x" size, and this part is allowed to move, and this part is not.
Tires and wheels may be this size, and you can choose between these two brands, and for any given week you may choose one brand of the other, and after the halfway point in the season you must choose one for the rest of the year.
Engine maps may be adjustable, but whatever map you run your fastest Qualifying lap on, is what you must start the race with, and run for at least the first five green flag laps.

Basically it would give them more creative license, and things that would give them an advantage in some areas would make things a little more risky.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

^ costs would be waay higher and fewer teams involved in the sport. As it is several mfrs have left the sport or are operating in it for branding purposes only. Would be great to see that though when the global economy improves.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

You forgot that there were also multiple tire vendors in the mix.
Ultra soft gumballs good for a lap for qualifying. and yes cleverly disguised grenades engines good for a half dozen wicked fast laps.
not to mention a totally different aero package for qualifying and the race.

if you go back far enough you'll even find crazy cars like the 6 wheel tyrell.

I'd love to see them lift the power limit but reduce the tire footprint and reduce the amount of wing they can use.
make the cars damn near undrivable then we'll see the true drivers come to the fore.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 PM

^ I don't think that making the cars slower is the answer. I firmly believe that part of what makes F1 special is that they are the fastest cars in the world. I understand that they are nowhere near the top of the top speed category, but everywhere else they are clearly the highest performing cars in all of racing.

If we continued along about the same path as what we are on now I would like to allow teams more creative license with aero bits, and take away most of the rules limiting engine tech. If you have to limit them to one engine configuration fine, but at least give them back their variable engine maps, and lit them rev as high as they want. I believe that more engine failures would make the sport more interesting. Have any of the major teams had an engine fail this year?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its because of the engine freeze. When the new engine regs kick in 2014, they'll be engine development again. It's boring because all we really hear are aero developments. I just wish they didn't restrict the revs.

I still think F1 is exciting to watch though.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by sparrow
I'm too young to remember the late 80's early 90's of F1 but was there more passing then? All of the videos I see of old races it seems as if prost/senna/mansell and others were ALWAYS dicing it up. Now like you said after the first 2 laps its horrible to watch. Were the engines unrestricted in configuration 20 yrs ago?
as you can see from the responses that we all want to see more of the cars dicing it up through out the whole race. the cars back then were not as bullet proof mechanically, everything was as light as could be, engines were tossed away after each race. at times drivers had to soldier on with cars that were broken but still able to race for their positions with it. also many more dnfs. like fishfryer said, it was a great mix of engine technology racing flat out. miss the all out qualifying spec engine/car setup also drivers running for the back up car.
currently i do enjoy watching the coverage of the more evenly matched mid field teams during the races.

Quick Reply: I just can't watch F1 anymore