Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

I just can't watch F1 anymore

Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've only seen the fringes of F1, but am developing an interest in it. How can I watch it? I don't have cable or satellite so maybe I'm toast, but is anything online that I can watch live or delayed?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

let me pose it differently.
which would you rather watch, a field with 5 or 6 cars dicing it up for the lead with numerous changes or parade of extremely fast cars, where the race is effectively decided in qualifying?

speed is important but only relative to the other competitors.
With the Dan Wheldon tragedy, we've sadly seen what pure speed can bring forth.
F1 needs to keep the cars at the edge of control but not over.
The human reaction time dictates the capability they can cope with.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sick of seeing Redbull and Vettell Dominate F1 in recent years...has become a yawn fest. 2009 was a great season bring back Brawn GP!

I also miss the sound of those beautiful v10's screeming to 20,000 rpms and pitstops! I wonder if Honda will ever come back into the fray, at least as an engine supplier (fingers crossed).
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which would you rather watch, a field with 5 or 6 cars dicing it up for the lead with numerous changes or parade of extremely fast cars, where the race is effectively decided in qualifying?

I agree with what you are saying, but how do you get to that point? They have IMO already over-regulated what they can do to the cars. I honestly believe that if teams were given a little more wiggle room they could develop cars that were different from each other. This would make a series where certain cars had advantages at different tracks, and at different parts of each track. If you give them very strict rules that they have to follow it comes down to who can perfect those specific things the best. This mean that whatever team has Newey wins... I realize that the same would likely be true if they were given free reign, but perhaps there would be enough differences in the cars to make it more exciting. That or just ban Newey?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by luder_5555

I agree with what you are saying, but how do you get to that point? They have IMO already over-regulated what they can do to the cars. I honestly believe that if teams were given a little more wiggle room they could develop cars that were different from each other. This would make a series where certain cars had advantages at different tracks, and at different parts of each track. If you give them very strict rules that they have to follow it comes down to who can perfect those specific things the best. This mean that whatever team has Newey wins... I realize that the same would likely be true if they were given free reign, but perhaps there would be enough differences in the cars to make it more exciting. That or just ban Newey?
agree about over regulation, specifically limited number of engines and trannies that must run several races and the ban on testing. disagree, the cars are different from each other now, rb/newey/vettel is no way the same as hrt or even the mid -field teams. f1 has 2 or 3 series on track at the same time and as teams make changes they move up and down from one to the other.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 AM

I've been watching Formula 1 since the late 70s and it has always been like this regardless of the regs or rules. There have literally been hundreds of small teams that have come and gone while an elite few - predominantly McLaren and Ferrari clean up. For the last 30-40 years Formula 1 has always been about a couple of teams kicking ass while everyone else fought for the crumbs. That's why you've seen so many rule changes and different engine formulas over the years - to make the show better. But of course it doesn't get better because the boffins always find a way to level the playing field. It wasn't better racing because engines blew up or had 1200hp, or there were multiple tire suppliers. It was still mainly Ferrari and McLaren on the podium, with the occasional look in from Williams and Renault - and once upon a time teams called Tyrell and Brabham. I think you really have to go back to the sixties when a private team could buy a Ferrari, Lotus, or a BRM and go racing. Of course in those days the cars killed as many drivers as they made heroes.

What about Piquet and Mansell, Senna and Prost, Vileneuve and Arnoux people say. When Senna was demolishing the record books it was downright boring. No different than Vettel today. And before the recent movie Senna always came across as a total douchebag. People complained that Prost made it look too easy! Mansell was hard to like - and I'm English. And Piquet? Well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Really, IMHO one of the most interesting drivers was Patrick Tambay who always had something pithy and interesting to say to the cameras - not unlike Vettel - instead of sounding like a corporate drone, but Tambay never won bushels of races or a world championship so he's a side note in F1 history. Sir Jackie Stewart was a great quote and a multiple world champion, but sadly suffered from a lack of TV coverage.

I watch Formula 1 for the legend. For Ferrari and McLaren. For Spa and Silverstone. For AGIP and Hugo Boss. Not for Penske and Ganassi; St Petersburg and Loudon. Not for Target and ABC Supply Co. And certainly not for a winners podium that has to be towed into place by a tractor.

Oh, and if you don't like Red Bull because it's just a marketing device what do you think the FIAT owned team is? I'm sure some day people will tell the legend of the Red Bull the way they do Il Cavallino Rampante.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Every new season brings new hope
I for one have not given up on F1
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 AM

Well fish just shot himself in the foot, because MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX was an awesome race!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Well fish just shot himself in the foot, because MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX was an awesome race!
One of the most exciting races i've ever seen!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stephenopoly
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1332764405' post='21543805
One of the most exciting races i've ever seen!
Yup, I always love it when the underdog wins!
Never in a million years did I think FA would be leading the Driver's Championship after the first two races

Quick Reply: I just can't watch F1 anymore