S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Just installed a F1racing dual friction clutch

Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just installed a F1racing dual friction clutch

My linkHey guy's I thought I would share about the new Dual friction clutch from F1 racing. I have been through several clutches since first buying the car in 06 and I think this one is finally what I was looking for. My original stock clutch just wouldn't hold the power even in NA trim so I changed to a competition ironman 6 puck at about 25k miles. It was super strong, but the driveability just really sucked. Way to on/off engagement and super noisy. Decided when I turboed the car that I would try a new oem clutch disk with a 11lb flywheel. Well that had wonderful driveability, but would not even come close to holding the power. So I decided to try this new clutch from F1racing. Its basically a copy of Centerforce's dual friction disk with a stronger pressure plate. It's rated at 310 lb/ft of torque. I finished up the install this morning and I have to say I'm impressed. The pedal effort is only slightly more than stock, and the engagement is quite smooth. Its not as buttery smooth as the stocker, but is lightyears better than the competition six puck. Feel's really strong as well and had basically no chatter or buzz on decel. I'm gonna put 500 miles or so on it before I crank up the boost, but I am fairly certain that my 400 horses won't be taxing it too much. Best part about it is the price. The full kit with both the pilot and release bearing was only 310$. The bearings were identical to my oem bearings and the disk and pressure plate seemed to be well built. Did not look or feel cheap quality. I have installed hundreds of clutches over my years as a mechanic, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this clutch to anyone. Defineately a good clutch for the money, and every bit as well made as the competition or eom clutch. I'll report back after I finish the breakin and dragstrip testing. Link is to there site.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, thanks for the review. Might go the same way if I'm going FI.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:15 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Cool. I've been running a centerforce dual friction for years. I've wondered why there weren't more out there.

I have a question? Did you notice if the parts they used were Honda or aftermarket? I know in my centerforce most or it was made from honda parts.

PS That's a great clutch. Got to love 8 pucs.

fltsfshr
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 AM

The bearings were identical to the honda ones. Not sure on the pressure plate it had no markings but looked like my competition plate but was blue instead of black. I drove it a little more this morning and it seems to be getting a little smoother the more I drive it. I'm waiting on a new turbo heat shield though. My blanket disentigrated so I had to order a stainless shield. Will be doing more testing when it gets here.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

would you recommend a dual friction style clutch for a mostly stock, mildly upgraded car? Or is it overkill?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Probably overkill. Get yourself a nice lightweight flywheel and a new stock unit. Its not worth the added noise or loss of driveability if you don't absolutely need it. That being said I don't daily my car, I use it just as a toy so I can live with the harshness. It really is up to your level of tolerance for more nvh. Probably want to look at maybe a stage 2 clutch or perhaps the sos sport clutch if you just want something a little stronger. I will say the dual friction is not horrible and would not be that bad for a stock or close to stock car. Plus you have the headroom if you want to up the power level in the future. Your best bet may be to try and ride in some cars with the stronger clutches and see if you like them. Good luck with you choice.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Little update. Well i have now gotten it broken in and im still quite pleased. I cranked the boost to 15 lbs and it held it no problem. The clutch has really smoothed out after the breakin as well. Very driveable even in stop and go traffic. There is a little noise at low rpms on accel and decel in 1st and 2nd. Usually between 1500 and 2500 but nothing really bothersome. If the radio is on cannot be heard at all. Im sure this is due to the heavier springs in the disk. All in all a great clutch for a compromise between stock smoothness and the holding power of a puck style clutch. Buy with confidence but dont forget to break in properly, makes all the difference with this one.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Anymore updates? And where did you purchase the clutch from?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just a dumb question but did you remove the delay valve for the clutch?