• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread Disccussion about drivers, teams and circuits goes here

#201 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery
  • Group: Guest

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm happy to get general admission and walk around :D

Rumor has it that most of the grandstand seating will not be ready for the first race, time will tell.
There are two different alpacas types, the suri and the huacaya. The suri has fiber that grows quite long and forms silky, pencil-like locks. The huacaya has a shorter, dense, crimpy fleece, giving it a very woolly appearance.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Alpacas "the aristocrat of all ranch animals"

F*** the Fast and the Furious, I'm Slow and Luxurious

If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you! - Bruce Lee
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. - Carl Sagan
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#202 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Lotus F1 pulls out of the Barcelona test because of chassis problems
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97616

Team boss Eric Boullier added: "Not running this week has been a tough decision to take, but we feel that our choice is the right one. On the positive side, we have quickly identified the issue with the chassis and our design office has already devised a solution. We will be present at next week's test in Barcelona.

"We draw faith from the fact that the E20 was quick out of the box in Jerez and showed its reliability there. We have a lot of work ahead of us over the next week but everyone at Enstone is ready for this challenge."

Although the team has not revealed the exact nature of the chassis fault, AUTOSPORT understands it is in an area towards the front of the car.

#203 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Barcelona Day One results
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97612

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Vettel Red Bull 1m23.265s 79
2. Hulkenberg Force India 1m23.440s +0.175 97
3. Hamilton McLaren 1m23.590s +0.325 114
4. Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m23.618s +0.353 76
5. Alonso Ferrari 1m24.100s +0.835 75
6. Schumacher Mercedes 1m24.150s +0.885 51
7. Perez Sauber 1m24.219s +0.954 66
8. Senna Williams 1m25.711s +2.446 97
9. Kovalainen Caterham 1m26.035s +2.770 31
10. Grosjean Lotus 1m26.809s +3.544 7
11. Pic Marussia 1m28.026s +4.761 121

#204 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

A 2, on 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Lotus F1 pulls out of the Barcelona test because of chassis problems
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97616

Team boss Eric Boullier added: "Not running this week has been a tough decision to take, but we feel that our choice is the right one. On the positive side, we have quickly identified the issue with the chassis and our design office has already devised a solution. We will be present at next week's test in Barcelona.

"We draw faith from the fact that the E20 was quick out of the box in Jerez and showed its reliability there. We have a lot of work ahead of us over the next week but everyone at Enstone is ready for this challenge."

Although the team has not revealed the exact nature of the chassis fault, AUTOSPORT understands it is in an area towards the front of the car.

Autosport's opinion of what may be wrong with the Lotus

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97620

Speaking to AUTOSPORT about the Lotus situation, Anderson said: "The aerodynamic loads on the car are higher in Barcelona than in Jerez, so that could explain why the problem didn't manifest itself at Jerez.

"Reading between the lines, I would say it was likely to be something to do with a mount rather than the front suspension, as if it was a suspension problem you could have a good go at patching it up at the track with a glue injection and fastenings to hold it in situ.

"The fact that Lotus has pulled out of the whole test rather than going back to the factory to patch it up and then run later in the week suggests it's a serious problem. Unless it is something that is too severe to fix so quickly or that you need to produce new parts to solve."

Anderson believes that the confirmation that Lotus also detected a potential problem that will require modifications to chassis 1, which completed almost 1,000 miles of testing at Jerez two weeks ago, supports the hypothesis that it is related to an attachment.

"Lotus wasn't as quick on the final day of that test, though, so maybe there was a little deterioration," he said.

"Barcelona is a very different challenge. There was a pretty vicious bump around the start finish line in the past, so it's possible this has caused a problem. Alternatively, it could be the long right-hander at Turn 3, where there is a huge amount of torsional stress on the chassis.

#205 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

Mercedes AMG W03:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The nose is similar to FI's but pretty ugly haha. A new wing that shows hints of the older wings. What does everyone else think from these pictures. Currently the second day of testing at Barcelona is occurring right now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#206 User is offline   egotzm 

• View gallery
  • Interests:Formula 1, Moto GP, motorbikes in general, all things Japanese.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'm not sure why Newey thinks Mercedes will have an advantage this year but as with all things in F1, we will only find out what people actually have come Q3 at Melbourne. I will be interested to see the function of the vent in Red Bull's step nose, in my mind it logically must go under the car to the diffuser as fixed aero dynamics to have passed the regulations. I refuse to believe it's just for driver cooling.

#207 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

oh, i definitely think that letter vent is dumping onto the lower air splitter behind the front wheels. but i'm not so sure it produces the same soothing music as in the video GC posted.
A current Formula One engine is over 20% more efficient at turning fuel into power than most small commuter cars, considering their craftsmanship.
What drives Jesus? Whats Jesus drive?
Bring back the Cannonball Trophy Dash
73 Norton Commando
77 BMW R1000S
1.8T VW
Posted ImagePosted Image

#208 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

ytdlite, on 22 February 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

oh, i definitely think that letter vent is dumping onto the lower air splitter behind the front wheels. but i'm not so sure it produces the same soothing music as in the video GC posted.

Sometimes it's Sylvester Stallone humming (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132245/)

Morning times:
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hulkenberg Force India 1m22.608s 63
2. Perez Sauber 1m22.648s +0.040 51
3. Vettel Red Bull 1m22.891s +0.283 31
4. Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m23.639s +1.031 45
5. Alonso Ferrari 1m23.640s +1.032 52
6. Hamilton McLaren 1m24.040s +1.432 45
7. Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.555s +1.947 75
8. Bottas Williams 1m25.858s +3.250 69
9. Petrov Caterham 1m26.605s +3.997 36
10. Pic Marussia 1m28.092s +5.484 47

This post has been edited by GateCrasher: 22 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

#209 User is offline   abechien 

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Probably doesn't really belong in this thread, but for any interested, the official F1 season edit is out:

http://www.formula1....uid=2012022120R

Enjoy.

#210 User is offline   svann 

• Group: Community Organizer
  • Interests:things that go fast...

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

GateCrasher, on 21 February 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

Rumor has it that most of the grandstand seating will not be ready for the first race, time will tell.

Chances are the main grandstand facing the pit complex, turn 1 and stadium section grandstands will be finished for the first event. In these sections CotA is hawking the PSL seats. The original plan was to erect temporary stands in other areas to lessen the environmental impact. I'd agree than general admin will not be a bad way to go considering the number of berms and other natural seating opportunities as part of the track design. If I find a reasonably priced seat in a turn complex I'll go for it. I'm not at all interested in the PSL seating on the long front straight however. General admission tickets go on sale in early summer.
'00 S2000-Silverstone/black
Extensive suspension mods, CAI and exhaust
Cobb tuned '06 Saab 92X Aero "Saabaru" (Subaru WRX 2.5 Turbo AWD wagon)
Whiteline RSB, EDM Thule FastAero bars, kayak rack, towing hitch
Posted Image123K+ and still running strong!

#211 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

svann, on 23 February 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Chances are the main grandstand facing the pit complex, turn 1 and stadium section grandstands will be finished for the first event. In these sections CotA is hawking the PSL seats. The original plan was to erect temporary stands in other areas to lessen the environmental impact. I'd agree than general admin will not be a bad way to go considering the number of berms and other natural seating opportunities as part of the track design. If I find a reasonably priced seat in a turn complex I'll go for it. I'm not at all interested in the PSL seating on the long front straight however. General admission tickets go on sale in early summer.

:hello: When can we set up a tour of the facility with Sondra?
A seat in any turn complex would be great! I would love to know what our options are. It's more important for me to be at this historic event, regardless of what of seat I have!

This post has been edited by GateCrasher: 24 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

#212 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Mom builds replica of 2012 F1 RBR car for her 4 year old son!

http://autos.yahoo.c...-175055702.html

#213 User is offline   svann 

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

GateCrasher, on 24 February 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

svann, on 23 February 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

:hello: When can we set up a tour of the facility with Sondra?
A seat in any turn complex would be great! I would love to know what our options are. It's more important for me to be at this historic event, regardless of what of seat I have!

Sondra knows some people @ COTA and has helped to organize a few tours to the observation platform atop turn 1. With construction in full swing day and night I suspect most tours these days are limited to VIP and media guests. At some point COTA will have to offer some tours of the site to sell those premium PSL seats, boxes and suites. I'll let you know if any site tours are in the works. I have a son working at the track and the only way in at the moment involves safety equipment and a hard hat.

#214 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thank you for the update! Race weekend can't come soon enough!

This post has been edited by GateCrasher: 24 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

#215 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

lets see how rotus rebounds from their front suspension problem which made them abort testing at catalunya. please give kimi a car to race with! will we start to see real times this week during testing or sandbagging?

#216 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

we need something like this list for this side of the pond.

how-to-follow-f1-this-season

http://www.thechecke...eckered+Flag%29

This post has been edited by ytdlite: 26 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

#217 User is offline   luder_5555 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

will we start to see real times this week during testing or sandbagging?

Posted Image

I doubt that we will see 100% from any of the top teams until Q3. We never do, so why should anything be different. My thoughts are that Mclaren should have a slight advantage since they have been using the low nose in the past, but with so many changes, you have to like RBR's chances just because of Newey and Vettel.

Here's to hoping for more equal racing this year.
Posted Image Now just N.L.
If you can find me, i'm driving...

#218 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

luder_5555, on 26 February 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Here's to hoping for more equal racing this year.

Posted Image

#219 User is offline   Triple-H 

• View gallery
  • Interests:2002 AP1
    Shifting at 9,000 RPM's will never get old

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm just amazed at how unattractive the new cars are...

Just plain sad

Posted Image
Posted Image Triple-H - HOOD'S HELLACIOUS HONDA
Posted ImageSPA LEADER Enlightened Force
Posted Image Posted Image

#220 User is offline   S2k007 

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

The Mclaren looks great. Other cars, not so much.

Posted Image
My For Sale Thread
Posted Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.

#221 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

Nice link ytdlite.

I don't like the McLaren that much. The nose is really wide compared to their older cars like the MP4-22. Maybe it also has something to do with me being used to the high noses and long front wing mounts which makes me not like the McLaren nose. At least they don't have the step nose. Of the step nose cars, I feel lotus and toro rosso are the most aesthetically pleasing.

Today is the start of the final preseason test. It will be interesting to see what teams bring to this test as they get ready for Melbourne in about two weeks time (the start of the season is sooooooo close :cheer: haha)

Also Marussia failed a crash test and will not be at this weeks test. I wonder if they will make it in time for Melbourne

#222 User is offline   egotzm 

• View gallery
  • Interests:Formula 1, Moto GP, motorbikes in general, all things Japanese.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

My tickets for Melbourne arrived yesterday!!!!! all 4 days, grandstand at the outside of the entrance to corner 1, couldn't be any better positioned without being inside the fence. I'll only be able to make it to Friday/Saturday and Sunday because i'm studying at the moment and i'm required to attend Thursdays but all other day's i'll be there with my DSLR snapping photos of JB and Hamilton. I'm beyond excited now!

#223 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

egotzm, on 01 March 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

My tickets for Melbourne arrived yesterday!!!!! all 4 days, grandstand at the outside of the entrance to corner 1, couldn't be any better positioned without being inside the fence. I'll only be able to make it to Friday/Saturday and Sunday because i'm studying at the moment and i'm required to attend Thursdays but all other day's i'll be there with my DSLR snapping photos of JB and Hamilton. I'm beyond excited now!

That is exciting and fantastic :drool: Looking forward to reporting back with the same great news when Austin comes around!! Posted Image

This post has been edited by GateCrasher: 01 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

#224 User is offline   GateCrasher 

• View gallery

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Bye bye Rubens Barrichello!
http://kvracingtechn...ess_030112.html

He's moving to Indy!

#225 User is offline   svann 

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

GateCrasher, on 24 February 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Thank you for the update! Race weekend can't come soon enough!

Sondra is putting something together with a couple of car groups for a COTA tour. She will post on the boards when plans come together...

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users