• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread Disccussion about drivers, teams and circuits goes here

#226 User is offline   ytdlite 

• Group: Guest

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

http://cdn.gallery.a..._474041_HiRes-2

these last two days of testing, top teams are bring out their real cars. the red bull looks really good as they continue the updating for melbourne. i hope the red cars ARE sand bagging but i think their not. i guess their just sorting out what the hell they have built. excited about saubers pace. hell i'm just plain excited that the season is two weeks away.
A current Formula One engine is over 20% more efficient at turning fuel into power than most small commuter cars, considering their craftsmanship.
What drives Jesus? Whats Jesus drive?
Bring back the Cannonball Trophy Dash
73 Norton Commando
77 BMW R1000S
1.8T VW
Posted ImagePosted Image

#227 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Another view of the Red Bull.
Posted Image

They changed their exhaust layout which is now similar to Saubers layout. They flew out this new car from the factory and testing this layout with only two days left in testing while Ferrari is still scrambling to figure out their car and trying different exhaust layouts because their launch layout was too extreme.

Sauber:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sauber introduced wings right in front of their sidepods. Similar idea to the chimneys they used last year. Red Bull also brought something similar with their new package (you can see it in the videos).

Mercedes:
Posted Image
Word around the paddock is that the Mercedes W03 is a big step forward, but having tire degradation problems still. There is also some talk about their diffuser. If you look right under the rear crash structure, you can see what looks like another channel similar to the DDD.

Now take a look at the back of the Mercedes. See the way the crash structure underside is merged with the trailing edge of the diffuser? It looks suspiciously like an extra exit ramp – just like they used to look when double diffusers were all the rage. But what would be the point of having the extra ramp when you are no longer allowed the slots in the floor to feed it with airflow? Ah well, what if you trained the flow from the hot exhaust and from the cooling exit at the bottom of the engine cover to a place that created a pressure differential that energised the flow coming through the diffuser. Especially if you used the splitters within the diffuser to turn the air as much as possible towards that upper chamber...
from Autosport.

The Lotus looks to be quick even after missing first week of Barcelona testing. It seems like the top 4 teams are Red Bull, McLaren, MercedesAMG, and Lotus. Ferrari is the dark horse because they seem to be struggling, but they could pull what McLaren did last year before the first race.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#228 User is offline   BirdShot 

• Group: Member
  • Interests:Autocross/Track. Some other stuff too.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

#229 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

cool analysis Samer. The Mercedes looks like it has something going for it. I wonder if it will be like the BGP 01 all over again :)

So with HRT and Marussia Virgin revealed, it appears McLaren are the only team with a regular nose. oh! well it will all be revealed in about 10 days. Weekend after next cant come soon enough :hyper:

#230 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

this couldn't be any better for the season opener in melbourne. with talk of how the red cars are not expecting to reach the podium. along with a quickly arranged testing of a 2010 chassie, with who knows what new bits on it, piloted by mika solo that same weekend. red bull not happy with its new exhaust layout of the updated rb8. kimi puts the rotus on top of the barcelona charts. the mercs logged the most miles and mclaren is looking steady but are they bring out an update? lurking behind these teams are toro rosso, force india and sauber; any of which in my view could pull the upset and be standing on the podium. this season can't start soon enough for me.
anyone catch the show "formula one , the killer years"?

#231 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

The season opener will answer a few questions for us and ask a different set of questions. Can't wait!!! What channel was "formula one, the killer years" and what was it about?

I also found this photo.
Posted Image

#232 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

That show is on Velocity. I have to set up the DVR to record it.

That's a cool comparison pic. Thanks for sharing.

Ytdlite - I share your sentiments regarding Melbourne. I hope the race will deliver in a big way. :)

#233 User is offline   BirdShot 

• Group: Member
  • Interests:Autocross/Track. Some other stuff too.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Postytdlite, on 06 March 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

anyone catch the show "formula one , the killer years"?

I highly recommend it although it was a little tough to watch.

#234 User is offline   egotzm 

• View gallery
  • Interests:Formula 1, Moto GP, motorbikes in general, all things Japanese.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

Not a lot of talk going on about this

http://www.formula1....12/3/13077.html

Maurissa's test driver has been announced and yes, that is Maria as in the female name. As the article states she isn't the first female to drive or compete in F1 but she is the first i have seen/remember in my following which began in 1998. She will get to drive the car through the season in Practice sessions, i'm all for it personally, there are females competing in many forms of motorsport so why should F1 be any different. I'm no male femenist but it would love to see her beat Mark Webber and see the look on his stupid face when he realises a woman drove better than him hehe.

#235 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

i'm glad to read this one about rossi http://www.grandprix...ns/ns23931.html

#236 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

View Postytdlite, on 09 March 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

i'm glad to read this one about rossi http://www.grandprix...ns/ns23931.html

That is great news. I get a feeling that Caterham is in this business for the long haul. If Rossi can impress enough and the team has secured funding, I can see them replacing Petrov with Rossi, if Rossi is seen as the better driver. Petrov is very inconsistent and while there have been flashes of brilliance, I don't quite see the potential of a good driver in him.

Thanks for sharing :)

#237 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

I think some of you guys may enjoy this

Anyways, a week until the season kicks off at Melbourne!! Is everyone joining fantasy league again?

#238 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Nice video Samer. I never knew the "Earth Dreams" car was even capable of overtaking. Considering it was such a dog, I bet the TV coverage never included it unless it had crashed or caught fire.

The fantasy league is Mitch and Dave's isn't it? I may sign up for that.

Do you want to get a sign-up roster going on here??

#239 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

A list of ppl who will enter would be awesome. Do we need to start a new thread?

#240 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 13 March 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

A list of ppl who will enter would be awesome. Do we need to start a new thread?

Do it, start a new one. I think thats a great idea :thumbup:

#241 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Triple-H has started a fantasy F1 thread. Please follow the link, sign up on Mitch and Brooke's and post your team roster in that thread.

http://www.s2ki.com/...12-f1-champion/

#242 User is offline   kevinvr6 

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

What are the changes for 2012? As far as technical limitations go...
'04 Honda S2000 [hair volumizer]
'94 Mazda RX7 [grocery car]
'98 VW GTI VR6 [sold]

#243 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

FIA Pushing to rid F1 off of stepped nose cones

The FIA will renew a push to try and get rid of stepped noses from Formula 1 next year; even though it is likely fans will be used to the concept by then.The ugly look of the current generation of F1 machinery has drawn stinging criticism from fans and insiders alike - a situation brought about by a push to lower the noses of cars for this year while not bringing the height of the chassis in that area down to the same level.

Discussions took place at the tail end of 2011 about the possibility of the cars not looking good for this year, and some consideration was given to introducing a mandatory cover to hide the height transition.

Those plans failed because there was not universal support for such a move – which is required for a rule change of that nature to take place at that time of the year.

However, with there still time to make a change to the 2013 regulations without the need for every team to agree, the FIA's head of the technical department Charlie Whiting has said that he plans to bring up the matter again soon.

"It will doubtless be discussed," said Whiting ahead of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix. "In 2014, the rules will be entirely different and there will be much, much lower noses so that problem will disappear in 2014 I imagine.

"But of course I will raise the question [for 2013] with the TWG [Technical Working Group] when we next meet. Everybody would like to see something nicer."

Whiting said that there may have been more appetite to change the noses even last year if people had realised just how widespread the noses would be.

"At that point I don't think anyone outside of the very small group of designers that were designing the cars knew what the cars might look like," he said. "It was pointed out that there could be a bit of a step there, as it was put, but frankly it didn't seem important for us to get excited about.

"Hopefully we can resolve the situation, but by the time we do everyone will have got used to what we have got anyway."

#244 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Bernie considering a Formula One IPO. Anyone interested? :)

http://www.autoblog....s-goldman-sach/

#245 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostA 2, on 21 March 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Bernie considering a Formula One IPO. Anyone interested? :)

http://www.autoblog....s-goldman-sach/

just finished reading about that . my thought was , what part , only 15% of F1 business, to be floated? what gets done with the money raised from the float? i think all of this latest chatter with fota, cvc, and bernie is about who'll run the show , control the monies, after ecclestone is gone.

#246 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

f1mole.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/the-mole-takes-a-boat-trip/ or http://www.newsnow.c...558547665?-2724

take the time for this read of what bernie is up to with regards to the motorsport we follow. this is leading up to the 2013 concord agreement and the IPO floatation.

#247 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Postytdlite, on 28 March 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

f1mole.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/the-mole-takes-a-boat-trip/ or http://www.newsnow.c...558547665?-2724

take the time for this read of what bernie is up to with regards to the motorsport we follow. this is leading up to the 2013 concord agreement and the IPO floatation.

Thanks for sharing that. Humorous read and very plausible too as to why Adam Parr stepped down. It did come as a surprise.

#248 User is offline   egotzm 

• View gallery
  • Interests:Formula 1, Moto GP, motorbikes in general, all things Japanese.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

I found this photo on the F1 website from Melbourne with me and my mate in the background! It's hard to see but i'm the one with the orange McLaren flag wrapped around me and my mate sitting next to me =D
Posted Image

#249 User is offline   wolfhaleys2k 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

Is this the documentary you guys are talking about? About to watch it right now.

http://www.dailymoti...ller-years_auto

#250 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

yep, thats the one. watch it a couple of times, let it sink in as to how the business of f1 evolved.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users