• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread Disccussion about drivers, teams and circuits goes here

#26 User is offline   samerthehammer 

• Group: Guest

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

Just saw this. Ferrari and Red Bull have left FOTA. This will be an interesting off season

http://www.f1fanatic...departure-fota/
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 02 December 2011 - 03:49 PM, said:

I thought this article was a good read. I tried finding it yesterday, but I didnt know how to navigate through the website to find older posts. Thankfully it was posted on Jalopnik today. Enjoy

http://news.bbc.co.u...ne/15926791.stm

Great article Samer....I've always believed that he possesses intelligence beyond his years.

View Postsamerthehammer, on 02 December 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

Just saw this. Ferrari and Red Bull have left FOTA. This will be an interesting off season

:yikes: that does not bode too well for the organization. I can see Ferrari's rationale for leaving as their racing team is their R&D for road cars. Why would someone like RedBull want to leave though? OR HRT for that matter?

#28 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Like how the Speed announcers said he is a student of the sport for referring how his drive in Brazil was similar to Senna's in 91. He is always learning. This is also another good read on Vettel, except I couldnt find anything more on red bulletin. It seemed, for me at least, really hard to navigate, so if anyone else could find more articles I would appreciate it :D

http://axisofoverste...-his-speed.html

Well Red Bull is in for the marketing/business aspect. Maybe they believe that there image will suffer with F1 increasingly becoming stale. Like I said it will be an interesting off season to see how this plays out

#29 User is offline   S2k007 

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

^Excellent article. Thanks for posting.
My For Sale Thread
Posted Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.

#30 User is offline   Matt_in_VA 

• Interests:No ball sports. Motor head R Us

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

So, unless I missed a post where do you think that Barichello will wind up? Or is his career over?
Posted Image
In remembrance of my friend Kimi: "Happiness is not a destination, it is a mode of travel"
Aloha to my long time friends in Hawaii (Colin and Franceen), Mahalo for the badge.
I may have met the Dragon, but I would not claim to have slayed it by any means! :-)
Drives & meets: Now too many to fit in this space. But I have been to every Spring Fling.

#31 User is offline   Matt_in_VA 

• Interests:No ball sports. Motor head R Us

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

I agree.

Bernie must not be sleeping well these days? :ponder:

#32 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

View PostMatt_in_VA, on 02 December 2011 - 11:31 PM, said:

So, unless I missed a post where do you think that Barichello will wind up? Or is his career over?

No you havent missed anything. I think he either stays at Williams or he is done. He shouldnt have to pay to get a seat

#33 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

View PostMatt_in_VA, on 02 December 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

I agree.

Bernie must not be sleeping well these days? :ponder:

From what I have read on those comments, it seems like this is what Bernie wants.

Q: Bernie, we’ve seen a lot of changes going on in the teams’ association. What do you think about that ‘club’ of which Red Bull is a member?
BE: I try not to think of them.
CH: I also don’t spend too much time thinking in that direction.

Q: But then why does it exist?
BE: It is an unnecessary association of people who should put their sole emphasis on getting competitive cars on the grid. It’s just more of what they don’t have to think of. I look after that so there are enough financial resources.

#34 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 03 December 2011 - 04:55 AM, said:

View PostMatt_in_VA, on 02 December 2011 - 11:31 PM, said:

No you havent missed anything. I think he either stays at Williams or he is done. He shouldnt have to pay to get a seat

:iagree: If he finds nothing in F1, I think he should look to other series like DTM or LeMans or possibly IndyCar even as his zeal to drive is still strong.

#35 User is offline   samerthehammer 

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

More proof that Bernie never liked dealing with FOTA

http://www.f1fanatic...nie-ecclestone/

#36 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 03 December 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

More proof that Bernie never liked dealing with FOTA

http://www.f1fanatic...nie-ecclestone/

pretty sure he is happy with how this is going. After all FOTA threatened FOM with a breakaway series where they could spend as they liked.

Not sure how this will play out, but I think costs may increase forcing out some of the teams. An HRT wont be missed, but if this impacts one of the better teams it will be a blow to the sport.

#37 User is offline   beanseff 

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

hate to say it, but since felipe's accident at hungaroring he hasn't been the same...could be because the car wasn't that great this year idk...but that being said time for ferrari to drop him and get some fresh talent.....
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#38 User is offline   egotzm 

• View gallery
  • Interests:Formula 1, Moto GP, motorbikes in general, all things Japanese.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

Sorry for a noob memember to the site joining in here but i love my Formula 1 even from the other side of the world to most of you guys, im down here in Australia!

My personal opinion is Rubens should hang up his helmet now. He's had a phenomenal career, everyone still loves him and sides with him for the incident during his drive at Ferrar i with Schumacher. To retire now would be to end on a high with all the supporters applauding him and appreciating what he has given to the sport over a career spanning many decades. For him to race another year with a honestly uncompetative Williams will turn him into the hero that didn't know when to give it away.

I'm sure the fire still burns strong for him and he still wants to race and win but there are too many better drivers in better cars now. As we see with the return of Schumacher he is struggling to come to grips with all the new technology while the newer drivers like Vettel, Hamilton, Senna etc. all are far more compitant. I would even say the older drivers like Webber and Button as well are far ahead of Rubens.

I am eagerly awaiting the 2012 season (GO McLAREN!) i just hope for his sake that Rubens can find it within himself to accept that his time has now come to an end. He has lasted far longer then even he thought he would by his own admission, driven for the great teams of Formula 1 and i dare say made more then enough money to retire happily on to go and do whatever he wants to do next. To Rubens i say; Hang up the helmet, take the adulations that will be heaped upon you for leaving maybe not at the peak of your career but at least at the right time. You will be rememered as a hero, a great. Stay another year, finishing well down the table and everyone will ask, was it worth staying one more year?

I also feel Webber is in a similar boat. He is regularly being outclassed by Vettle, Hamilton, Button and Alonso. I think after next season he will need to think long and hard about his future there. I'd love to see him fade into the background being a McLaren supporter, but if he has half a brain, which i doubt sometimes, maybe after next year if he can't make headway he should start to think about giving it away.

I am looking forward to next year to see who can take the fight to Vettel. Webber wont, he is too slow and too full of excuses. I think the Ferraris will be a team to watch, they had a poor year with their car this year and they will not want to repeat that. Then again with the rule changes it could take a few races for the cars to settle in.

Bring on 2012 and the MP4-27!

This post has been edited by egotzm: 06 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

#39 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

View Postbeanseff, on 04 December 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

hate to say it, but since felipe's accident at hungaroring he hasn't been the same...could be because the car wasn't that great this year idk...but that being said time for ferrari to drop him and get some fresh talent.....

Who do you think would be a good candidate for replacing Felipe? Ferrari would want someone that is willing to be a second driver to Alonso. I personally think if not RK, as he and Alonso are good friends, it has to be someone new or someone from one of the midfield or back marker teams - maybe a Sutil or a Kovalainen.

#40 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

rubins will take less to drive more of a hopefully better williams. perez is my pick for massas seat. anyone seen a word of who gets the torro roso seats?
A current Formula One engine is over 20% more efficient at turning fuel into power than most small commuter cars, considering their craftsmanship.
What drives Jesus? Whats Jesus drive?
Bring back the Cannonball Trophy Dash
73 Norton Commando
77 BMW R1000S
1.8T VW
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

^ nope...not heard a peep out of Toro Rosso. I wonder when they will decide OR Force India for that matter.

In any case, Sebastien Vettel imitating the Kimster at the Autosport awards

http://www.youtube.c...fo=0&autoplay=1

#42 User is offline   ///RS-2000 

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

View Postaashish2, on 06 December 2011 - 07:18 AM, said:

View Postbeanseff, on 04 December 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

Who do you think would be a good candidate for replacing Felipe? Ferrari would want someone that is willing to be a second driver to Alonso. I personally think if not RK, as he and Alonso are good friends, it has to be someone new or someone from one of the midfield or back marker teams - maybe a Sutil or a Kovalainen.

I think Ferrari have their eyes on a young drivers. Perez is probably on the shortlist as well as Jules Bianchi. I think also Kobayashi may have a long shot since Sauber and Ferrari have a good relationship and Kobayashi would bring a lot of money through sponsorship. Robert won't be back until 2013 and much like Massa he won't be the same.

This post has been edited by ///RS-2000: 06 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

#43 User is offline   S2k007 

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

View Postaashish2, on 06 December 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

^ nope...not heard a peep out of Toro Rosso. I wonder when they will decide OR Force India for that matter.

In any case, Sebastien Vettel imitating the Kimster at the Autosport awards

http://www.youtube.c...fo=0&autoplay=1

Vettel's a funny guy. :LOL:

#44 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

FIA confirms 20 race 2012 calendar - of course there is no saying whether the race in Bahrain will happen
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96675

and it looks like Texas is back on track for next season ;)
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96681

Ecclestone gave organisers an extended deadline after failing to meet the original one.After the race was included in the final 2012 calendar released by the FIA, Austin officials said work on the track will resume right away, and they are confident it will be ready for the grand prix.

"Mr. Ecclestone received his check today. We want to thank the fans supporting us, the local officials and businesses that have encouraged us, the State of Texas, Circuit of The Americas' staff and Bernie himself," said founding partner Red McCombs.

"I want to thank and commend Bobby Epstein for getting us across the finish line. Bobby's perseverance and leadership kept the project on track despite unfair and unfounded criticism.

"Our investors have believed all along that this project has tremendous benefit for our region, and provides a strong economic engine for the future," stated Epstein, founding partner of Circuit of The Americas.

"We remain committed to reaching our goal of being valuable community partners as we establish a platform for sports and entertainment. We're glad that Tavo's vision of bringing F1 to the people of Texas will become a reality."

#45 User is offline   riegerm3 

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Mike C.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 User is offline   ytdlite 

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

this from joe saward's blog sums up the current fota issue.

Meanwhile in London the Formula One Teams Association (or the survivors at least) got together to try to figure out how to lure Ferrari and Red Bull Racing back into the fold before February when they will officially leave the organisation. FOTA seems to understand that a union of the teams is essential if there is to be any real progress in winning a bigger share of the revenues of the sport – which is the fastest way to increase team budgets, rather than trying to penny-pinch savings with the Resources Restriction Agreement. The big teams, however, want expensive things like testing and fewer restrictions on what they can and cannot spend their money on.

Ferrari and, to a lesser extent, Red Bull Racing say that they want to keep costs down, but they want to do it their way…

about new rules
don't like this, "Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position."

like this,"Before the safety car returns to the pits all lapped cars will be allowed to unlap themselves and then join the back of the pack, ensuring a clean re-start without slower cars impeding those racing for the leading positions."

#47 User is offline   riegerm3 

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Looks like Grosjean and Kimi will be team mates at Lotus next year
http://formula-one.s...nault-race-seat

#48 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

^ I just saw that too. Looks like Vitaly is out for next season and I doubt he will be able to secure a drive elsewhere. Here is a link to the Autosport article

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96698

#49 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Makes me wonder where Bruno Senna will go with Grosjean and Raikkonen at Renault??

#50 User is offline   BirdShot 

• Group: Member
  • Interests:Autocross/Track. Some other stuff too.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:00 AM

View Postytdlite, on 08 December 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

about new rules
don't like this, "Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position."

I agree, I don't like this rule either. My guess is that we will see lots of controversy over this.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users