Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice link ytdlite.

I don't like the McLaren that much. The nose is really wide compared to their older cars like the MP4-22. Maybe it also has something to do with me being used to the high noses and long front wing mounts which makes me not like the McLaren nose. At least they don't have the step nose. Of the step nose cars, I feel lotus and toro rosso are the most aesthetically pleasing.

Today is the start of the final preseason test. It will be interesting to see what teams bring to this test as they get ready for Melbourne in about two weeks time (the start of the season is sooooooo close haha)

Also Marussia failed a crash test and will not be at this weeks test. I wonder if they will make it in time for Melbourne
Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 AM

My tickets for Melbourne arrived yesterday!!!!! all 4 days, grandstand at the outside of the entrance to corner 1, couldn't be any better positioned without being inside the fence. I'll only be able to make it to Friday/Saturday and Sunday because i'm studying at the moment and i'm required to attend Thursdays but all other day's i'll be there with my DSLR snapping photos of JB and Hamilton. I'm beyond excited now!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by egotzm
My tickets for Melbourne arrived yesterday!!!!! all 4 days, grandstand at the outside of the entrance to corner 1, couldn't be any better positioned without being inside the fence. I'll only be able to make it to Friday/Saturday and Sunday because i'm studying at the moment and i'm required to attend Thursdays but all other day's i'll be there with my DSLR snapping photos of JB and Hamilton. I'm beyond excited now!
That is exciting and fantastic Looking forward to reporting back with the same great news when Austin comes around!!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Bye bye Rubens Barrichello!
http://kvracingtechnology.homestead....ss_030112.html

He's moving to Indy!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by GateCrasher
Thank you for the update! Race weekend can't come soon enough!
Sondra is putting something together with a couple of car groups for a COTA tour. She will post on the boards when plans come together...
Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 AM

http://cdn.gallery.autosport.com/pic...474041_HiRes-2

these last two days of testing, top teams are bring out their real cars. the red bull looks really good as they continue the updating for melbourne. i hope the red cars ARE sand bagging but i think their not. i guess their just sorting out what the hell they have built. excited about saubers pace. hell i'm just plain excited that the season is two weeks away.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Another view of the Red Bull.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodLmQJruw4&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYoFbAfdlXI&feature=player_embedded[/media]
They changed their exhaust layout which is now similar to Saubers layout. They flew out this new car from the factory and testing this layout with only two days left in testing while Ferrari is still scrambling to figure out their car and trying different exhaust layouts because their launch layout was too extreme.

Sauber:

Sauber introduced wings right in front of their sidepods. Similar idea to the chimneys they used last year. Red Bull also brought something similar with their new package (you can see it in the videos).

Mercedes:

Word around the paddock is that the Mercedes W03 is a big step forward, but having tire degradation problems still. There is also some talk about their diffuser. If you look right under the rear crash structure, you can see what looks like another channel similar to the DDD.
Now take a look at the back of the Mercedes. See the way the crash structure underside is merged with the trailing edge of the diffuser? It looks suspiciously like an extra exit ramp – just like they used to look when double diffusers were all the rage. But what would be the point of having the extra ramp when you are no longer allowed the slots in the floor to feed it with airflow? Ah well, what if you trained the flow from the hot exhaust and from the cooling exit at the bottom of the engine cover to a place that created a pressure differential that energised the flow coming through the diffuser. Especially if you used the splitters within the diffuser to turn the air as much as possible towards that upper chamber...
from Autosport.

The Lotus looks to be quick even after missing first week of Barcelona testing. It seems like the top 4 teams are Red Bull, McLaren, MercedesAMG, and Lotus. Ferrari is the dark horse because they seem to be struggling, but they could pull what McLaren did last year before the first race.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Ferrari doubtful of podium finish
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

cool analysis Samer. The Mercedes looks like it has something going for it. I wonder if it will be like the BGP 01 all over again

So with HRT and Marussia Virgin revealed, it appears McLaren are the only team with a regular nose. oh! well it will all be revealed in about 10 days. Weekend after next cant come soon enough
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM

this couldn't be any better for the season opener in melbourne. with talk of how the red cars are not expecting to reach the podium. along with a quickly arranged testing of a 2010 chassie, with who knows what new bits on it, piloted by mika solo that same weekend. red bull not happy with its new exhaust layout of the updated rb8. kimi puts the rotus on top of the barcelona charts. the mercs logged the most miles and mclaren is looking steady but are they bring out an update? lurking behind these teams are toro rosso, force india and sauber; any of which in my view could pull the upset and be standing on the podium. this season can't start soon enough for me.
anyone catch the show "formula one , the killer years"?