Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

911 vs s2000 ownership redeux

Old 12-26-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
Originally Posted by ak_random' timestamp='1323538710' post='21226535
[quote name='lowerlattitudes' timestamp='1323394619' post='21222419']
ive driven and owned several vehicles that can hit 100mph in under six seconds, this is not my goal. The endless quest for speed is a junkies drug. The search for a long lasting relationship with a car that you instantly connect with and feel 'whole' with in a somewhat inexplicable, but still deeply satisfying manner, now THAT is worth a few extra greenbacks...
This clarifies a LOT! In this case, my 2 cents is to ditch the S2K. Go for a 993 that's as new and in as good of condition that you can find. It's last of the air cooled engines in the 911. Like pretty much all of the Porsche flat-6 engines, they have a fairly distinctive and very lovely sound when you start it up, accelerate, etc. The 993 generation is still my favorite because:
  • I'm not that big of a fan of the older, all metal generations (albeit, there is still a certain charm to them, but I just don't think the overall maintenance and reliability is worth it)
  • I find that starting with the 996 generation, the 911s have gotten way too fat-arsed. Yes, the newer generations are engineering marvels, but aesthetically, I just don't like them as much as the 993s.
I would agree that the 993 is the best looking 911 but the question is have you driven one? I was a little disappointed in it after having gotten used to how the motor in the 996 felt! After 7 years of S ownership the 993 did not FEEL that much more powerful than the S while the 996 and newer felt like it has 30 to 40 percent more get up and go than the S . The 996 transmission felt a little notchy as compared to the S and that seems to be also fixed in the 997 ! The thing is is that the 282 hp in the base 993's is not ENOUGH . The 997 is the one to have unless you go for a 993 Turbo!
[/quote]

I think the OP isn't concerned about the power or speed of the 911. See the specific text of what I originally quoted.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbkonis
Originally Posted by thanasis11' timestamp='1324266775' post='21246986
aren't 911s overrated and overpriced? The engine is in the wrong place, lsd is optional (even the civic si has lsd standard) which for me shows that these cars are meant for lawyers and doctors to cruise in and not for racing, huge rear tires and skinny fronts are required to keep the balance, expensive to maintain, no double wishbone suspension which is a must for racing. The s2000 has all of these (lsd, good weight distribution, double-wishbone, balanced) for just a fraction of the cost. this to me makes it seem that porsches are designed by people in accounting and marketing and then pass on the specs to engineers to come up with a car.
Shocking to most, I'm with him on this concept. Why give up the most well balanced car (also the most fun to drive in my opinion) for a car who's engine sits behind the rear axle, and happens to sound like a sewing machine? I have driven several modern 911s, and having been in the exotic car business, yes they do primarily appeal to doctors, lawyers, and executives.
I'm a doctor--I guess I'm guilty as charged...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V TACH
I'm a doctor--I guess I'm guilty as charged...
Kudos to the accountants who designed that car...
Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vivek, you're as much of a car enthusiast as anyone I know, but you are guilty of never taking your cool toys to the track!

(we're going Friday if you want to come along)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Keep your S because you will miss the "community."

Porsche are nice but it’s a different type of car enthusiast when you get to that price point assuming your going to get a decent car.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM

I believe someone else posted it in this thread (unless I'm confused ... which is very possible), but I'm also thinking more and more about owning a Porsche the older I get. I suppose some of it comes with the financial consideration, but there's something I find more appealing about them vs. other vehicles in the same price range - even cars with better objective performance. Like I'd take a C4S over a GTR, or a GT3 over a ZR1.

I was ruminating over a Z4/E89 (and have been all over the map), but even the wife said maybe I should just wait, get a few business related things in order, and start looking at 911s. I did briefly consider the Boxster S, but that doesn't seem to scratch the itch ... I think I have a long standing love for the 911 as +the+ Porsche.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Agree with you on that. I'm still thinking a C6 Z06 might work for a while (so much bang for the buck) but in the end, a barely used 997S would allow me to fit the whole family (tightly), still play around with 400 hp on a regular basis and still be pretty reliable. There's just something about Porsche that I trust more than a typical sports car in that price range. Probably all in my head....
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Agree with you on that. I'm still thinking a C6 Z06 might work for a while (so much bang for the buck) but in the end, a barely used 997S would allow me to fit the whole family (tightly), still play around with 400 hp on a regular basis and still be pretty reliable. There's just something about Porsche that I trust more than a typical sports car in that price range. Probably all in my head....
Having driven both I would say get the z06 and buy a daily and not think twice about it. Maybe the 997s i drove was ragged but it was nothing to write home about. Even when not driving fast I preferred the z06.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

get a Cayman S
GT3 swap and there you have a super car...
Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalAp2
get a Cayman S
GT3 swap and there you have a super car...
I don't know if anyone has ever done this swap. The Mezger motor would require a lot of custom work to fit. Dropping a 3.8 M97 into the Cayman has been done plenty of times, though.

Quick Reply: 911 vs s2000 ownership redeux