• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pulsating noise - bad wheel bearings?

#1 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Group: Guest

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

i've been noticing some whirling/pulsating noise coming from the right side of the car recently, within the last week or so. the noise varies depending on speed, but doesn't start until at least 25mph. it is only this pulsating noise that increases with speed, no clunking or anything else.

i'm having trouble figuring out of it's from the front or rear, but my friend sat in the passenger side and thought it seemed to be coming from the rear. however, he was unfamiliar with the normal sounds and road noises from inside the car.

i've checked that the tire pressures are correct and there is not visible tire damage.
my friend and i also jacked up the car and spun the wheels, and all 4 seem to be rotating smoothly. there doesn't seem to be any play in any wheel either.

my next thought is to swap to a different set of wheels/tires to make sure the noise is not coming from the wheels/tires.

does anyone have any ideas if i'm on the right track, or if there is anything else i should look into? any help is much appreciated.

#2 User is offline   omgitsoop 

• Group: Guest New

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

How many miles are you at? Does it happen only when your accelerating, or all the time? Im at 120,000 and have had vibrations from everything under the sun, axles, bearings, hub, tires, you name it, Ive had to replace it. If its only under acceleration, it could be a bad axle, if its all the time it could be bad bearings.
as in, omg its oop, i.e. oh my god its out of print.

Some guys have told me One tree hill and Ugly Betty are both cool and luved by many young guys, is that the case?

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Boss-S2K 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Torque axle nut to 240, was wrong by factory.
Posted Image
"Slow2K"
Daily Driven; Ultimate Racing 17psi 428whp/298wtq Dynojet
Sonic Motorsports/Import Dynamics

Old Rides
2002 WRX - VF34
1990 Eclipse GSX - Big 16G
2006 Evolution MR - FP Black

#4 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

i have around 65,000 miles on it. no vibrations, just noise. as long as i am over 25mph i can hear it, even if i am rolling in neutral. it's easier to hear around 45mph, but still present around 65. haven't really gone over that since i've been hearing the noise.

i had the axle nut retorqued about 30,000 miles ago by billman. the noise started around 300 miles ago, so unless the bearings had already been damaged and slowly began to fail, the axle nut itself is not causing the problem. there is also none of the clunking noise associated with the axle nut.

#5 User is offline   Switchblade 

• Interests:Paintball, driving, cars, collecting edged weapons

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Jack up the rear and see if there is movement in the wheel. Like this guy:

Posted Image
Posted Image

MY2000 #2249 MODS: APR carbon fiber spark plug cover, Megan Racing test pipe, Megan Racing drift spec catback exhaust, K&N drop-in filter, Tanabe NF210 springs, OEM front lip,OEM rear lip spoiler, AP1 OEM wheels painted black w/chrome lip, Rick's smoked side markers, carbon fiber cooling plate

#6 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

did that on all 4 wheels, but couldn't find any movement or play. is there always noticeable play when bearings fail? i'm suspecting it's the bearings, but i'm not completely sure.

#7 User is offline   Billman250 

• Mod/Sponsor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:S2000 Service, Repair, modifications, LIFETIME TCTs

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

You may be able to hear it just by spinning the wheels on jack stands. I had one the other day, I spun it by hand it was instantly obvious. One side quiet, other side noisy. Compare sides.

#8 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

there was nothing noticeable. my friend and i both tried it. no obvious noise from all 4 wheels, and all 4 spun smoothly. the right side front and rear seemed to be slightly more resistant to turn than the left, but not difficult at all.

i'd like to eliminate one possibility at a time, but could it be something aside from the bearings that i should be looking at?

#9 User is offline   slalom44 

• Group: Member

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Does the sound change if you turn the wheel (like making a lane change)? Have you checked your brake pads?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

yes, there is less noise when turning right, like on highway exits. i didn't notice a noise change when shifting lanes normally, but it's possible if i were to shift lanes aggressively.

brake pads looks like there is a lot of material, but i did not remove them to inspect.
the right rear rotor has a thin line gouged into it, like maybe a piece of sand got stuck in it. i heard a slight grinding noise last week, but was only there for a couple days. the gouge in the rotor goes around in a perfect circle though, so it still looks smooth. the pulsating noise may have come up soon after the grinding noise disappeared. not sure if it is or isn't related

#11 User is offline   TougeS2k 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Boss-S2K, on 09 January 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

I have the same "pulsating noise" issue, from what i gather the axle nut getting tqed to 240 seems to be the first step, most people have sucess with this? and do i need to call up a shop for the right tool to get it done?
Posted Image
2003 50th Z06 corvette:
Bridgestone re760 sports, Mobile 1 syn @ 30k, Redline ATF @ 31k, Redline diff @ 32k, Volant cold air intake, Skip shift mod, CLB installed, Taylor 10.4mm race wires, NGK iridium plugs, new GM valve springs.
-SOLD:94 sc300 (5spd), 05 WRX, 02 Sentra Spec V, 06 Mazdaspeed 6, 01 s2000, 02 Acura CL, 00 s2000, CURRENT:03 z06 corvette-

#12 User is offline   Boss-S2K 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

TougeS2k, on 09 January 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have the same "pulsating noise" issue, from what i gather the axle nut getting tqed to 240 seems to be the first step, most people have sucess with this? and do i need to call up a shop for the right tool to get it done?

if you have a torque wrench you should be fine.

#13 User is offline   2002 S2000 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Is there a DIY on this?

#14 User is offline   Drkphnx 

• View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Interests:( . Y . )

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

I had the EXACT same issue a few months ago, Couldnt diagnose it. Drove on it(big mistake) it was a bad wheel bearing. it ended up braking the axle too. Just got it fixed this saturday, Parts where $114 for new axle and wheel bearing, $20 to get the new bearing pressed and $0 for labor since a buddy of mine helped me do everything. I also changed the rear break pads ($35) because when the axle broke it rubbed my disc till it was bright red. have the wheel bearings looked at to be safe. It should only cost a few bucks to get new ones pressed.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 User is offline   Drkphnx 

• View gallery

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

I believe mine was, if i turned left there was no noise and if i turned right there was a noise. My bad wheel bearing was on the left side. So if there was pressure on it it would make that noise. So I believe you should be able to determine which is bad by that method. good luck :tipwink:

#16 User is offline   S2_4SHOOR 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

so did you try swapping different set of wheels like you said?
Posted Image Posted Image

#17 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

drkphnx, on 09 January 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

I had the EXACT same issue a few months ago, Couldnt diagnose it. Drove on it(big mistake) it was a bad wheel bearing. it ended up braking the axle too. Just got it fixed this saturday, Parts where $114 for new axle and wheel bearing, $20 to get the new bearing pressed and $0 for labor since a buddy of mine helped me do everything. I also changed the rear break pads ($35) because when the axle broke it rubbed my disc till it was bright red. have the wheel bearings looked at to be safe. It should only cost a few bucks to get new ones pressed.

how long did you drive on it before it gave out? was it just a pulsating noise, or did you have other symptoms?

S2_4SHOOR, on 09 January 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

so did you try swapping different set of wheels like you said?

not yet, but i plan to try this tomorrow morning. i will just swap left to right. if the noise moves to the other side, then i know for sure it is the wheels/tires. if it doesn't move, it just eliminates that possibility. i'm actually hoping it is this, but i highly doubt it.

#18 User is offline   SDgoods 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

even if the tires have no 'visible' damage, feel the edges with your hand, a cupped tired can make a lot of noise. I have the same kind of sound right now as well and went to torque the axle nuts to find they had already been replaced and were extremely tight. I had an 30 year experienced tech drive with me and hes convinced its tire noise. Im in the same boat, i dont want it to be too late and the wheel bearing take out the whole hub.

#19 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

SDgoods, on 10 January 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

even if the tires have no 'visible' damage, feel the edges with your hand, a cupped tired can make a lot of noise. I have the same kind of sound right now as well and went to torque the axle nuts to find they had already been replaced and were extremely tight. I had an 30 year experienced tech drive with me and hes convinced its tire noise. Im in the same boat, i dont want it to be too late and the wheel bearing take out the whole hub.

thanks for the tip. i'll keep that in mind when i swap wheels around tomorrow. were you able to confirm that was the cause for your noises yet?

it would be strange if the one tire was cupped though - air pressure is exactly the same on all 4 tires, and the rears are pretty much new. i've checked them every couple weeks since late november (just needed an excuse to test a new tire pressure gauge). but i won't rule this idea out just yet.

#20 User is offline   SDgoods 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

shinigamiz, on 10 January 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

thanks for the tip. i'll keep that in mind when i swap wheels around tomorrow. were you able to confirm that was the cause for your noises yet?

it would be strange if the one tire was cupped though - air pressure is exactly the same on all 4 tires, and the rears are pretty much new. i've checked them every couple weeks since late november (just needed an excuse to test a new tire pressure gauge). but i won't rule this idea out just yet.

alignment specs can wear tires differently, but if yours are close to new/alignment correct it might not be the cause. Im also running about 3 degrees camber in the rear which is cupping the inside edge really bad. I haven't confirmed the noise, just took what I thought and my experienced tech friends input and made an educated assumption ( :o ) I might swap tires around and see if it goes away. Id also like to see what u come up with

#21 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

SDgoods, on 10 January 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

shinigamiz, on 10 January 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

alignment specs can wear tires differently, but if yours are close to new/alignment correct it might not be the cause. Im also running about 3 degrees camber in the rear which is cupping the inside edge really bad. I haven't confirmed the noise, just took what I thought and my experienced tech friends input and made an educated assumption ( :o ) I might swap tires around and see if it goes away. Id also like to see what u come up with

my alignment looks good, also done within the last month. before and after were both even left to right. the only significant changes are rear camber went from about -2* (i can't remember exactly) to -2.2*, and toe in went to 1/16" or 1/8" total (i have the sheet at home).

hopefully i have enough time tomorrow morning to check this out, but i will report back with what i find.

#22 User is offline   dhayner 

• Interests:Sports cars, sailing, computing

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think drkphnx has your answer.
Denis Hayner

Past rides:
1991 Honda CRX Si
1986 Honda CRX Si
1971 Fiat 124 Spider
1965 Alfa Romeo 1600 Spider Veloce
1963 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider

#23 User is offline   Drkphnx 

• View gallery

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

I drove on it for about 3 months lol, It progressively got worse. I know I know, stupid me. So I was doing 60 on the highway and thats when the axle broke and it started wobbling really bad. I pulled off the highway as soon as I could and when I I looked, my rear left wheel was really canted and my brake disc was super bright red. Then next day my buddy pulled everything off and the wheel bearing was bad, axle broke at the nut. and yes it was just an intermittent grind, no other symptoms.

#24 User is offline   shinigamiz 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

drkphnx, on 10 January 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

I drove on it for about 3 months lol, It progressively got worse. I know I know, stupid me. So I was doing 60 on the highway and thats when the axle broke and it started wobbling really bad. I pulled off the highway as soon as I could and when I I looked, my rear left wheel was really canted and my brake disc was super bright red. Then next day my buddy pulled everything off and the wheel bearing was bad, axle broke at the nut. and yes it was just an intermittent grind, no other symptoms.

the noise i'm currently getting is not a grinding sound, just a rotating/pulsing/wobble noise (not exactly sure what to call it). i did have a slight grinding sound that went away, probably whatever scored my brake rotor, but that has disappeared for several days now. i will definitely be on the lookout in case a grinding noise returns.

#25 User is offline   Drkphnx 

• View gallery

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

shinigamiz, on 10 January 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

drkphnx, on 10 January 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

the noise i'm currently getting is not a grinding sound, just a rotating/pulsing/wobble noise (not exactly sure what to call it). i did have a slight grinding sound that went away, probably whatever scored my brake rotor, but that has disappeared for several days now. i will definitely be on the lookout in case a grinding noise returns.

It's like a squeak rather then a grind. Like when you bounce on a squeaky bed. Or if u've ever done it in a car, kinda like that.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users