S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

pulsating noise - bad wheel bearings?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boss-S2K
Torque axle nut to 240, was wrong by factory.
I have the same "pulsating noise" issue, from what i gather the axle nut getting tqed to 240 seems to be the first step, most people have sucess with this? and do i need to call up a shop for the right tool to get it done?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Originally Posted by Boss-S2K' timestamp='1326085362' post='21298216
I have the same "pulsating noise" issue, from what i gather the axle nut getting tqed to 240 seems to be the first step, most people have sucess with this? and do i need to call up a shop for the right tool to get it done?
if you have a torque wrench you should be fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boss-S2K
Is there a DIY on this?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM

I had the EXACT same issue a few months ago, Couldnt diagnose it. Drove on it(big mistake) it was a bad wheel bearing. it ended up braking the axle too. Just got it fixed this saturday, Parts where $114 for new axle and wheel bearing, $20 to get the new bearing pressed and $0 for labor since a buddy of mine helped me do everything. I also changed the rear break pads ($35) because when the axle broke it rubbed my disc till it was bright red. have the wheel bearings looked at to be safe. It should only cost a few bucks to get new ones pressed.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

I believe mine was, if i turned left there was no noise and if i turned right there was a noise. My bad wheel bearing was on the left side. So if there was pressure on it it would make that noise. So I believe you should be able to determine which is bad by that method. good luck
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM

so did you try swapping different set of wheels like you said?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by drkphnx
I had the EXACT same issue a few months ago, Couldnt diagnose it. Drove on it(big mistake) it was a bad wheel bearing. it ended up braking the axle too. Just got it fixed this saturday, Parts where $114 for new axle and wheel bearing, $20 to get the new bearing pressed and $0 for labor since a buddy of mine helped me do everything. I also changed the rear break pads ($35) because when the axle broke it rubbed my disc till it was bright red. have the wheel bearings looked at to be safe. It should only cost a few bucks to get new ones pressed.
how long did you drive on it before it gave out? was it just a pulsating noise, or did you have other symptoms?

Originally Posted by S2_4SHOOR
so did you try swapping different set of wheels like you said?
not yet, but i plan to try this tomorrow morning. i will just swap left to right. if the noise moves to the other side, then i know for sure it is the wheels/tires. if it doesn't move, it just eliminates that possibility. i'm actually hoping it is this, but i highly doubt it.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM

even if the tires have no 'visible' damage, feel the edges with your hand, a cupped tired can make a lot of noise. I have the same kind of sound right now as well and went to torque the axle nuts to find they had already been replaced and were extremely tight. I had an 30 year experienced tech drive with me and hes convinced its tire noise. Im in the same boat, i dont want it to be too late and the wheel bearing take out the whole hub.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by SDgoods
even if the tires have no 'visible' damage, feel the edges with your hand, a cupped tired can make a lot of noise. I have the same kind of sound right now as well and went to torque the axle nuts to find they had already been replaced and were extremely tight. I had an 30 year experienced tech drive with me and hes convinced its tire noise. Im in the same boat, i dont want it to be too late and the wheel bearing take out the whole hub.
thanks for the tip. i'll keep that in mind when i swap wheels around tomorrow. were you able to confirm that was the cause for your noises yet?

it would be strange if the one tire was cupped though - air pressure is exactly the same on all 4 tires, and the rears are pretty much new. i've checked them every couple weeks since late november (just needed an excuse to test a new tire pressure gauge). but i won't rule this idea out just yet.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by shinigamiz
Originally Posted by SDgoods' timestamp='1326220999' post='21303505
thanks for the tip. i'll keep that in mind when i swap wheels around tomorrow. were you able to confirm that was the cause for your noises yet?

it would be strange if the one tire was cupped though - air pressure is exactly the same on all 4 tires, and the rears are pretty much new. i've checked them every couple weeks since late november (just needed an excuse to test a new tire pressure gauge). but i won't rule this idea out just yet.
alignment specs can wear tires differently, but if yours are close to new/alignment correct it might not be the cause. Im also running about 3 degrees camber in the rear which is cupping the inside edge really bad. I haven't confirmed the noise, just took what I thought and my experienced tech friends input and made an educated assumption ( ) I might swap tires around and see if it goes away. Id also like to see what u come up with

Quick Reply: pulsating noise - bad wheel bearings?