Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fuel filter location

#1 User is offline   trustafox 

• Group: Guest

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

any body got a photo of where the fuel filter is?

#2 User is offline   SgtB 

• Group: Gold Member
  • Interests:Homebrewing, fast things, microelectronics, BBQ.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

In the tank on the pump.

#3 User is offline   trustafox 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

SgtB, on 10 January 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

In the tank on the pump.

so do you need to drain the tank to change the filter?

#4 User is offline   VPS_AP1 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

trustafox, on 10 January 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

SgtB, on 10 January 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

In the tank on the pump.

so do you need to drain the tank to change the filter?

No you remove It from the top of the tank you are gonna have to remove the convertible top tray and also the cover to the spare tire and the one to the left of it and remove your spare and you'll see a circle metal plate with a bunch of bolts holing it down on the left side of the car next to where the spare was and that's your fuel pump unbolt all the bolts and disconnect the hoses and electrical connector and pull it up and protect your interior cuz gas will spill.
future Posted Image

03 GPW

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 User is offline   starchland 

• Interests:Driving

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

By filter are you referring to the pickup sock ?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image SADD Coalition - S2kers Against Door Dings
Posted Image Posted Image 199.8 stock whp on a dynojet
...I bought a four banger instead :p

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   dc2-2-ap1 

• View gallery
  • Group: Member

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

the fuel filter is kinda wrapped around the fuel pump. It looks nothing like a standard fuel filter. It is the giant piece of plastic that the fuel pump connects to.
vps ap1 gave a pretty decent description on how to remove it. One thing I always do when I remove them is pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a couple times to help remove the excess fuel from the lines.
WTB- (2 or 4) SSR Type C RS 17x8.5 +49 in anthracite. Need ASAP Willing to trade a set of staggard SSR Type C RS 17x8 +48 / 17x9 +55 in anthracite for these if you don't want to sell outright. Last updated 4-11-13
My For Sale Thread
Feedback Thread
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   trustafox 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

dc2-2-ap1, on 10 January 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

the fuel filter is kinda wrapped around the fuel pump. It looks nothing like a standard fuel filter. It is the giant piece of plastic that the fuel pump connects to.
vps ap1 gave a pretty decent description on how to remove it. One thing I always do when I remove them is pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a couple times to help remove the excess fuel from the lines.

by crank you mean by starting the engine to pull the fuel through, not manually crank the engine?

when you buy one, is it just a filter or a filter-pump combo?

and another thing, seeing as only owned an s2000 a week! what part is the convertible top tray that vpsap1 referred to? I've not explored all round the car yet to know what everything is or looks like from memory. Just trying to work out what basic servicing I can do on it. so all help is appreciated.

#8 User is offline   rrounds 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Yes, after you pull the fuse go and start your car, it will run for a few seconds and then run out of fuel.
One question, why do you want to change the fuel filter.

ROD
Posted Image
245/45-17 R 235/45-17 F tires

#9 User is offline   trustafox 

• Topic Starter

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

rrounds, on 10 January 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Yes, after you pull the fuse go and start your car, it will run for a few seconds and then run out of fuel.
One question, why do you want to change the fuel filter.

ROD

I've just got the car, its 2003 and although got service history I'm unsure whats been done besides the basic oil and filter. I want to do some servicing so I'm sure the car is good for a few years to keep the car. Not much point to change the fuel filter in 3 years time then sell 6 months later!

#10 User is offline   JFUSION 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

In this part of the world they are designed as lifetime filters, unless you are having low fuel pressure issues they don't require replacement, the filter is pretty beefy compared to traditional filters in other vehicles.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   SgtB 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Don't change the fuel filter. It's good.

#12 User is offline   trustafox 

• Topic Starter

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

JFUSION, on 10 January 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

In this part of the world they are designed as lifetime filters, unless you are having low fuel pressure issues they don't require replacement, the filter is pretty beefy compared to traditional filters in other vehicles.

Being in Canada you are talking about North America, I'm UK, but your point is still relevant to here also?

You mean in our countries we have quality pre-filtered fuel, not some backwater that you don't know whats swimming in its tanks!

#13 User is offline   rob-2 

• Interests:Life

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

trustafox, on 11 January 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Being in Canada you are talking about North America, I'm UK, but your point is still relevant to here also?

You mean in our countries we have quality pre-filtered fuel, not some backwater that you don't know whats swimming in its tanks!

Yes. Your fuel filter does not need changing.

#14 User is offline   Reckon 

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I was under the impression that the fuel filter is good for a long time on our cars. The only reason to change any of that is if you are changing the actual fuel pump for running FI. Unless you know you have an actual fuel issue, leave it alone. It was made hard to get to because it doesn't need to be gotten (yeah, not used correctly in this sentence, I know) to often (if at all).

Run the maintenance that the manual recommends based on mileage. The S actually holds up very well over time with minimal maintenance. I would redo the fluids (oil, trans, clutch, brakes), get a compression test and possible valve adjustment if needed, alignment and whatever else is needed for a general tune up will be all that you need. A look at what TSB's are valid for you might be worth it as well, although I think by 03 everything was more or less corrected.

This post has been edited by Reckon: 11 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

2005 NFR
Performance - K&N FIPK Gen II Intake/Invidia Q300 Dual SS 70mm Exhaust/Invidia 70mm Test Pipe/ACT HD PP with AP1 Flywheel and Friction Disc with CDV delete

Exterior - Seibon CF OEM Hood/OEM Rear Wing Spoiler/OEM Front Lip Spoiler/Downforce Carbon Fiber AP2 w/Lip Splitter/Downforce Carbon Fiber Side Diffusers/APR AP2 FRP Rear Diffuser/Enkei RPF01 Bright Silver 17x7.5+48F/17x9+45R on Sumitomo HTR Z III with UK Spec Alignment/EBC Stage 2 Sport Brake Kit Front and Rear/Alloy Craft Red PC Cross Member Cover/Alloy Craft Stainless Steel Spark Plug Cover/Password JDM Hood Dampers/OBX Strut Tower Bar SS/Mishimoto Cooling Plate with Red Radiator Stays/Ricks S Badges/JS2K Keyhole Covers/Tinted

Interior - Modifry DCI-2 with PnP Harness/Alpine iDA-x303/Alpine SPS-600C Speakers - KTP Power Pack/Sound Ordnance B-8PT Powered Enclosed Subwoofer/OEM Titanium Shift Knob/Ricks Leather Shift Boot/Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit/Clazzio Seat Covers/Splendid Autos Xenon White LED Map, Trunk & License Light Conversion/Panavise Radio Bracket and Universal Phone Holder

#15 User is offline   skoundrel 

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

I think the OP is thinking of a fuel filter like the below on a Civic:

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   JFUSION 

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

trustafox, on 11 January 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

For some reason in Australia S2000 owners have reported the Honda dealers recommend changing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles or something like that. I don't know if they have different fuel standards in other parts of the world, thus the reason for my comments. I know that Honda does not list a replacement mileage for the fuel filter on the S2000 in our part of the world, I would assume Europe is the same. If you are in the tank replacing the fuel pump it might be worth doing at that time but I would not do it as a regular maintenance item. Our cars have a pre-filter sock on the fuel pump inlet, then the filter itself, a small plastic filter built into the fuel rail, and each injector has it's own small filter. So our fuel systems are pretty well protected.

#17 User is offline   trustafox 

• Topic Starter

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

it says in my service book in the schedule table to change the fuel filter every 36 months. i.e thats when it has a black dot.

the user manual also says to change ever 25k miles or 24 months is using suspect fuel.

This is like honda saying to do regularly. although the schedule does seem to be a generic service schedule as it has exceptions/differences for certain models like Legend, s2000, CRV, HRV. and diesels!!!

I think I'll ring local Honda garage to check the book is wrong and you guys are right.

Or any UK guys here confirm what UK dealers do?

I'd prefer not to bother and save to £££$$$ for something else

#18 User is offline   JFUSION 

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

That service schedule does not sound like an S2000 specific schedule as it should not mention other models, there are Honda models that have fuel filter that need more regular replacement and which are easily accessed, unlike the S2000. I would try to find an S2000 specific maintenance schedule, and verify with your dealer. In North America the fuel filter is not listed on the maintenance schedule.

If you don't have to do the fuel filter you will save yourself quite a bit of money.

#19 User is offline   SgtB 

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Don't call Honda. They are usually clueless about this car. The book is wrong. Don't change the fuel filter.

#20 User is offline   grkboy707 

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Would you guys recommend not changing it, even at 121k miles? I have all the other maintainence complete, except the valve clearence check/adjustment and fuel filter, which I do believe the manual says to do. I dont mind doing a lot of work.
Posted Image

#21 User is offline   JFUSION 

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

grkboy707, on 13 January 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Would you guys recommend not changing it, even at 121k miles? I have all the other maintainence complete, except the valve clearence check/adjustment and fuel filter, which I do believe the manual says to do. I dont mind doing a lot of work.

This is one of those topics that is getting beat to death. If you suspect you have low fuel pressure issues then investigate replacing the fuel filter, that is the only reason I would do it. If you want to change it for peace of mind and you don't mind dropping the money on it then do it. If you are in the fuel tank replacing your fuel pump maybe you might want to do it then.

There's no right or wrong answer, but there is nothing wrong with not replacing it if the vehicle is running fine. I personally would not change it just based on mileage, there would have to be other circumstances that would cause me to swap it out.

For anyone that wants to find the part you can see it in the on-line catalogue of majestichonda.com , as part of the fuel tank menu. Iirc it isn't a cheap part.

#22 User is offline   JFUSION 

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

grkboy707, on 13 January 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

This is one of those topics that is getting beat to death. I'll try to lay it out again. If you suspect you have low fuel pressure issues then investigate replacing the fuel filter along with other potential parts. If you want to change it for peace of mind and you don't mind dropping the money on it then do it, nothing gained and nothing lost. If you are in the fuel tank replacing your fuel pump maybe you might want to do it then. If you live in a part of the world where Honda recommends changing it at a certain mileage then consider doing it, just make sure you are following the right maintenance schedule.

There is nothing wrong with not replacing it if the vehicle is running fine. I personally would not change it just based on mileage, there would have to be other circumstances that would cause me to swap it out.

For anyone that wants to find the part you can see it in the on-line catalogue of majestichonda.com , as part of the fuel tank menu. Iirc it isn't a cheap part.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users