S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel filter location

Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't change the fuel filter. It's good.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
In this part of the world they are designed as lifetime filters, unless you are having low fuel pressure issues they don't require replacement, the filter is pretty beefy compared to traditional filters in other vehicles.
Being in Canada you are talking about North America, I'm UK, but your point is still relevant to here also?

You mean in our countries we have quality pre-filtered fuel, not some backwater that you don't know whats swimming in its tanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by trustafox
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1326247170' post='21304991
In this part of the world they are designed as lifetime filters, unless you are having low fuel pressure issues they don't require replacement, the filter is pretty beefy compared to traditional filters in other vehicles.
Being in Canada you are talking about North America, I'm UK, but your point is still relevant to here also?

You mean in our countries we have quality pre-filtered fuel, not some backwater that you don't know whats swimming in its tanks!
Yes. Your fuel filter does not need changing.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that the fuel filter is good for a long time on our cars. The only reason to change any of that is if you are changing the actual fuel pump for running FI. Unless you know you have an actual fuel issue, leave it alone. It was made hard to get to because it doesn't need to be gotten (yeah, not used correctly in this sentence, I know) to often (if at all).

Run the maintenance that the manual recommends based on mileage. The S actually holds up very well over time with minimal maintenance. I would redo the fluids (oil, trans, clutch, brakes), get a compression test and possible valve adjustment if needed, alignment and whatever else is needed for a general tune up will be all that you need. A look at what TSB's are valid for you might be worth it as well, although I think by 03 everything was more or less corrected.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM

I think the OP is thinking of a fuel filter like the below on a Civic:

Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by trustafox
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1326247170' post='21304991

For some reason in Australia S2000 owners have reported the Honda dealers recommend changing the fuel filter every 60,000 miles or something like that. I don't know if they have different fuel standards in other parts of the world, thus the reason for my comments. I know that Honda does not list a replacement mileage for the fuel filter on the S2000 in our part of the world, I would assume Europe is the same. If you are in the tank replacing the fuel pump it might be worth doing at that time but I would not do it as a regular maintenance item. Our cars have a pre-filter sock on the fuel pump inlet, then the filter itself, a small plastic filter built into the fuel rail, and each injector has it's own small filter. So our fuel systems are pretty well protected.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:21 PM

it says in my service book in the schedule table to change the fuel filter every 36 months. i.e thats when it has a black dot.

the user manual also says to change ever 25k miles or 24 months is using suspect fuel.

This is like honda saying to do regularly. although the schedule does seem to be a generic service schedule as it has exceptions/differences for certain models like Legend, s2000, CRV, HRV. and diesels!!!

I think I'll ring local Honda garage to check the book is wrong and you guys are right.

Or any UK guys here confirm what UK dealers do?

I'd prefer not to bother and save to £££$$$ for something else
Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

That service schedule does not sound like an S2000 specific schedule as it should not mention other models, there are Honda models that have fuel filter that need more regular replacement and which are easily accessed, unlike the S2000. I would try to find an S2000 specific maintenance schedule, and verify with your dealer. In North America the fuel filter is not listed on the maintenance schedule.

If you don't have to do the fuel filter you will save yourself quite a bit of money.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't call Honda. They are usually clueless about this car. The book is wrong. Don't change the fuel filter.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 AM

Would you guys recommend not changing it, even at 121k miles? I have all the other maintainence complete, except the valve clearence check/adjustment and fuel filter, which I do believe the manual says to do. I dont mind doing a lot of work.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter location