Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2013 boxster Fap

#51 User is offline   luder_5555 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,781
  • Joined: 12-October 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Someone posted this pic somewhere else, and it just got me going. The new Boxster is amazingly pretty. If they made a ~375-400hp model, I'd call it the perfect sports car.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by luder_5555: 15 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Posted Image Now just N.L.
If you can find me, i'm driving...

#52 User is offline   fishfryer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,426
  • Joined: 18-April 06
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

It's been a very long time since I drove the 911s and the only Boxster I drove is my buddies first year Boxster. I'm going to assume both these cars are much much better today, is the base 911 cab much better than the base Boxster in normal driving? Without talking raw acceleration, are things like the ride, steering, manual gearbox and interior comparable? I remember I didn't like the pedals in the 911, they seemed too far to one side (is that just me). Sometimes I get the urge to get a 911 but I think part of that is because I don't want to just buy the 'cheaper' Porsche even though I think the Boxy would work just as well for my needs.


Thanks.
Boycott all union made products.

#53 User is offline   Nandska 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 16,273
  • Joined: 25-May 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manassas
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

I can't wait to see what changes will be made to the Cayman. :)
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image<img src='htt

#54 User is offline   steamedturtle 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 977
  • Joined: 28-December 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Columbia, MD
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

The coxster has come a long way.

#55 User is offline   dombey 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,331
  • Joined: 10-August 06
  • Location:Scottsdale
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

In normal driving conditions (ie not using launch control), how much slower do you think this would feel relative to an IS-F, if at all?
I can't go test one because I wouldn't be able to control myself...
-'11 335d
-'08 IS-F
-'06 s2000 (sold)
-'08 RDX (sold)
Posted Image

#56 User is offline   sparrow 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 7,899
  • Joined: 25-March 07
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

View Postluder_5555, on 15 February 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

Posted Image


Posted Image
I DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS
Servin' bammas on S2KI since 07
Official McDavid spokesperson for Car Talk
FREE MR E.G.
DON'T BAN ME BRO!

#57 User is offline   CosmosMpower 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 6,595
  • Joined: 15-January 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

View Poststeamedturtle, on 15 February 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

The coxster has come a long way.


The coxster is a Cayman.
997 GT3, E90 M3, E46 330i ZHP, F80 M3 (on order)

#58 User is offline   TruBluS2k 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: 26-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Behind Enemy Lines
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

View Postsparrow, on 15 February 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

View Postluder_5555, on 15 February 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

Posted Image


Posted Image



hahahahahahaha
Posted Image

-1999 SSBP DC2 LS/Vtec GT35R
-2002 Suzuka AP1


Posted Image

#59 User is offline   XtC-604 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 991
  • Joined: 07-April 09
  • Location:Vancouver
  • Country: Canada
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

As Richard Hammond has said, the only people that buy a boxster are those people that couldn't afford a 911 :D

#60 User is offline   luder_5555 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,781
  • Joined: 12-October 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Country: United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

^ Ya, but short of a GT3, or possibly the new 911s, I'd rather have the Boxster. I've ridden in a 2011 Boxster s and a 2010 911s at the track and honestly the Boxster felt like it would be more fun to drive. The only Porsche I have driven at the track was a 2001 Boxster s, and wasn't that impressed, but I'd expect any of the new models to be outstanding.

#61 User is offline   dombey 

  • Topic Starter
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,331
  • Joined: 10-August 06
  • Location:Scottsdale
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostXtC-604, on 15 February 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

As Richard Hammond has said, the only people that buy a boxster are those people that couldn't afford a 911 :D


I think I would dispute that. I could buy a 911 all day, and adhere to any and every "rule" established on this board about spending responsibly. And even though it is my dream car, I don't know that I'll ever buy one over a boxster or cayman. People talk about how the BS and CS is overpriced (around $75k well equipped) but dude, the 911 is only marginally faster in equivalent trims and it runs $130k. So what I'm saying is, if you are a rational person and have any respect for value, you have to think twice about a 911.
I think Hammond is right that many people would prefer a 911 all else being equal ( as would I), but it isn't necessarily because they can't afford it...it is jbecause they thought about it.

#62 User is offline   Grimnebulin 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 10,360
  • Joined: 27-September 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sacramento
  • Country: United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

View Postdombey, on 16 February 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

View PostXtC-604, on 15 February 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

As Richard Hammond has said, the only people that buy a boxster are those people that couldn't afford a 911 :D


I think I would dispute that. I could buy a 911 all day, and adhere to any and every "rule" established on this board about spending responsibly. And even though it is my dream car, I don't know that I'll ever buy one over a boxster or cayman. People talk about how the BS and CS is overpriced (around $75k well equipped) but dude, the 911 is only marginally faster in equivalent trims and it runs $130k. So what I'm saying is, if you are a rational person and have any respect for value, you have to think twice about a 911.
I think Hammond is right that many people would prefer a 911 all else being equal ( as would I), but it isn't necessarily because they can't afford it...it is jbecause they thought about it.


+1 :thumbup:
"I'm an occational drinker, the kind of guy who goes out for a beer and wakes up in Singapore with a full beard." -Raymond Chandler

#63 User is offline   coldrsx 

  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Posts: 3,649
  • Joined: 10-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton
  • Country: Canada
  • Interests:Oilers, beering on patios

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Great evolution indeed. Yummy

#64 User is offline   MaxGeek 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 3,184
  • Joined: 14-November 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:WA
  • Country: United States

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hot damn that pic of the new Boxster looks good!
Posted Image

#65 User is offline   Fanman 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,962
  • Joined: 03-February 02
  • Location:Glendale
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:Cars, Working Out

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

It is definitely a improvement, but I just can't fathom a 5 hp increase & an MSRP on the base Boxster S of $61K. So basically after you option it out decently, you are looking at a $75K Boxster S that has less hp than a Hyundai. Porsche needs to step up (even though they never do) & make their base cars attractive. I would understand better if they did like the 911 & reduced the weight 80-90 lbs AND 5 hp increase, but it's just rapidly falling behind it's market. I'm sure you will always have a certain group that love it, but the people can look around & see a 330+ hp 370Z, & 350 hp upcoming Hyundai, not to even mention the american cars that would leave it for dead in a straightline. Offerings from MBZ, BMW & Audi that have significantly more hp. Obviously a Boxster S is more than that, but why do you even have to make an excuse at that price point.

#66 User is offline   Chris S 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 11,608
  • Joined: 29-January 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Richland Hills, TX
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:sports cars, track days/DE's, dirt bikes, mountain biking, guitar

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostFanman, on 18 February 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

It is definitely a improvement, but I just can't fathom a 5 hp increase & an MSRP on the base Boxster S of $61K. So basically after you option it out decently, you are looking at a $75K Boxster S that has less hp than a Hyundai. Porsche needs to step up (even though they never do) & make their base cars attractive. I would understand better if they did like the 911 & reduced the weight 80-90 lbs AND 5 hp increase, but it's just rapidly falling behind it's market. I'm sure you will always have a certain group that love it, but the people can look around & see a 330+ hp 370Z, & 350 hp upcoming Hyundai, not to even mention the american cars that would leave it for dead in a straightline. Offerings from MBZ, BMW & Audi that have significantly more hp. Obviously a Boxster S is more than that, but why do you even have to make an excuse at that price point.


I'm not wild about the pricing either, but buy it used if you can't stomach the MSRP. The market usually has a way of correcting itself, and dealers will be forced into heavy discounts if enough buyers don't see the value.
'02 Z06
'13 Civic Si sedan
'08 Ridgeline RTL

#67 User is offline   JonBoy 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 17,540
  • Joined: 12-May 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton
  • Country: Canada
  • Interests:Karting, driving in general, ice hockey, racquetball, racing, working out

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Porsches are always about being more than the sum of their parts. They're among the quickest cars (if not THE quickest) for their HP figures due to excellent launch characteristics and great transmissions (in the case of PDK) as well as low weight. The handling is very, very good as well, not to mention their grip and braking levels.

Yes, people can say that a Boxster S has less power than a Hyundai Genesis with the big V6. But in a head-to-head race, it won't even be close, not to mention around a track. A 370Z has already been proven to be a slower overall car (though it goes through corners faster since the brakes overheat - you just crash part way through).

I understand the frustration/annoyance of other cars being more powerful but really, Porsches are rarely about pure power. Even the 997TT gives up power to its big rivals. However, it holds its own against all of them in virtually every way (and exceeds in others). And for me, that's what I'd prefer. Someone else can brag that they have more power. I only care if I actually have the better car, not necessarily the "fastest" (usually in a straight line) car...
"The only competition worthy of a wise man is with himself." - Washington Allston

My Flickr

#68 User is offline   luder_5555 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,781
  • Joined: 12-October 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:So Cal
  • Country: United States

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

^ I tend to agree with that line of thinking when it comes to Porsche. They almost never have the most powerful car in its class, but it is normally one of the most fun, and certainly near the top of the track time list. Also, As far as cars that you can drive to the track, flog the sh*t out of, and drive it home, they are IMO one of the most dependable and rarely have dumb issues like overheating brakes, oil starve, or overheating in general. Most importantly, They are generally the easiest cars to DD for their performance level. (Don't need to fear steep driveways, or speed bumps. Ride is more than comfortable enough that you don't have to apologize to your date.)

#69 User is offline   FearlessFife 

  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 6,945
  • Joined: 27-June 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City, MO
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:Cycling, cars, sports, craft beer.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I like it, but then my wife says "It looks like a Ford Probe." :suspect:
Posted Image
Me: family man, cyclist, car lover, sports nut. Hater of modern journalism, internet trolls.

#70 User is offline   dcmonkey 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 494
  • Joined: 04-December 10
  • Location:Fairfield County

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

918 spyder and carrera gt styling cues =very very attractive car, i like this very much. i would like to see the cayman s of this now
Posted Image

206.69rwhp 138.85lbft untuned on 93 octane

#71 User is offline   ak_random 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 21-October 11
  • Country: United States

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostFanman, on 18 February 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

It is definitely a improvement, but I just can't fathom a 5 hp increase & an MSRP on the base Boxster S of $61K. So basically after you option it out decently, you are looking at a $75K Boxster S that has less hp than a Hyundai. Porsche needs to step up (even though they never do) & make their base cars attractive. I would understand better if they did like the 911 & reduced the weight 80-90 lbs AND 5 hp increase, but it's just rapidly falling behind it's market. I'm sure you will always have a certain group that love it, but the people can look around & see a 330+ hp 370Z, & 350 hp upcoming Hyundai, not to even mention the american cars that would leave it for dead in a straightline. Offerings from MBZ, BMW & Audi that have significantly more hp. Obviously a Boxster S is more than that, but why do you even have to make an excuse at that price point.


I think your statements are naive because you're effectively only looking at how much horsepower you get for the price. If it were that simplistic, then everyone would buy cars like Mustang GTs and be done with it.

#72 User is offline   Saki GT 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 34,190
  • Joined: 20-July 04
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Capital City, NC
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:Ballooons!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostJonBoy, on 18 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Porsches are always about being more than the sum of their parts. They're among the quickest cars (if not THE quickest) for their HP figures due to excellent launch characteristics and great transmissions (in the case of PDK) as well as low weight. The handling is very, very good as well, not to mention their grip and braking levels.

Yes, people can say that a Boxster S has less power than a Hyundai Genesis with the big V6. But in a head-to-head race, it won't even be close, not to mention around a track. A 370Z has already been proven to be a slower overall car (though it goes through corners faster since the brakes overheat - you just crash part way through).

I understand the frustration/annoyance of other cars being more powerful but really, Porsches are rarely about pure power. Even the 997TT gives up power to its big rivals. However, it holds its own against all of them in virtually every way (and exceeds in others). And for me, that's what I'd prefer. Someone else can brag that they have more power. I only care if I actually have the better car, not necessarily the "fastest" (usually in a straight line) car...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Porsches are really about the best sports car you can get when you want a reliable, fast, and usable machine that will put a smile on your face.

And people IMO have become jaded about cars needing more power all the time. I think the BRZ is going to surprise a lot of people with how fun it is for the power output.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#73 User is offline   Saki GT 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 34,190
  • Joined: 20-July 04
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Capital City, NC
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:Ballooons!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

View Postluder_5555, on 18 February 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

^ I tend to agree with that line of thinking when it comes to Porsche. They almost never have the most powerful car in its class, but it is normally one of the most fun, and certainly near the top of the track time list. Also, As far as cars that you can drive to the track, flog the sh*t out of, and drive it home, they are IMO one of the most dependable and rarely have dumb issues like overheating brakes, oil starve, or overheating in general. Most importantly, They are generally the easiest cars to DD for their performance level. (Don't need to fear steep driveways, or speed bumps. Ride is more than comfortable enough that you don't have to apologize to your date.)

Porsches are the everyday exotics.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users