Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 boxster

Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XtC-604
As Richard Hammond has said, the only people that buy a boxster are those people that couldn't afford a 911
I think I would dispute that. I could buy a 911 all day, and adhere to any and every "rule" established on this board about spending responsibly. And even though it is my dream car, I don't know that I'll ever buy one over a boxster or cayman. People talk about how the BS and CS is overpriced (around $75k well equipped) but dude, the 911 is only marginally faster in equivalent trims and it runs $130k. So what I'm saying is, if you are a rational person and have any respect for value, you have to think twice about a 911.
I think Hammond is right that many people would prefer a 911 all else being equal ( as would I), but it isn't necessarily because they can't afford it...it is jbecause they thought about it.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dombey
Originally Posted by XtC-604' timestamp='1329347692' post='21418524
As Richard Hammond has said, the only people that buy a boxster are those people that couldn't afford a 911
I think I would dispute that. I could buy a 911 all day, and adhere to any and every "rule" established on this board about spending responsibly. And even though it is my dream car, I don't know that I'll ever buy one over a boxster or cayman. People talk about how the BS and CS is overpriced (around $75k well equipped) but dude, the 911 is only marginally faster in equivalent trims and it runs $130k. So what I'm saying is, if you are a rational person and have any respect for value, you have to think twice about a 911.
I think Hammond is right that many people would prefer a 911 all else being equal ( as would I), but it isn't necessarily because they can't afford it...it is jbecause they thought about it.
+1
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great evolution indeed. Yummy
Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot damn that pic of the new Boxster looks good!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 PM

It is definitely a improvement, but I just can't fathom a 5 hp increase & an MSRP on the base Boxster S of $61K. So basically after you option it out decently, you are looking at a $75K Boxster S that has less hp than a Hyundai. Porsche needs to step up (even though they never do) & make their base cars attractive. I would understand better if they did like the 911 & reduced the weight 80-90 lbs AND 5 hp increase, but it's just rapidly falling behind it's market. I'm sure you will always have a certain group that love it, but the people can look around & see a 330+ hp 370Z, & 350 hp upcoming Hyundai, not to even mention the american cars that would leave it for dead in a straightline. Offerings from MBZ, BMW & Audi that have significantly more hp. Obviously a Boxster S is more than that, but why do you even have to make an excuse at that price point.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fanman
It is definitely a improvement, but I just can't fathom a 5 hp increase & an MSRP on the base Boxster S of $61K. So basically after you option it out decently, you are looking at a $75K Boxster S that has less hp than a Hyundai. Porsche needs to step up (even though they never do) & make their base cars attractive. I would understand better if they did like the 911 & reduced the weight 80-90 lbs AND 5 hp increase, but it's just rapidly falling behind it's market. I'm sure you will always have a certain group that love it, but the people can look around & see a 330+ hp 370Z, & 350 hp upcoming Hyundai, not to even mention the american cars that would leave it for dead in a straightline. Offerings from MBZ, BMW & Audi that have significantly more hp. Obviously a Boxster S is more than that, but why do you even have to make an excuse at that price point.
I'm not wild about the pricing either, but buy it used if you can't stomach the MSRP. The market usually has a way of correcting itself, and dealers will be forced into heavy discounts if enough buyers don't see the value.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Porsches are always about being more than the sum of their parts. They're among the quickest cars (if not THE quickest) for their HP figures due to excellent launch characteristics and great transmissions (in the case of PDK) as well as low weight. The handling is very, very good as well, not to mention their grip and braking levels.

Yes, people can say that a Boxster S has less power than a Hyundai Genesis with the big V6. But in a head-to-head race, it won't even be close, not to mention around a track. A 370Z has already been proven to be a slower overall car (though it goes through corners faster since the brakes overheat - you just crash part way through).

I understand the frustration/annoyance of other cars being more powerful but really, Porsches are rarely about pure power. Even the 997TT gives up power to its big rivals. However, it holds its own against all of them in virtually every way (and exceeds in others). And for me, that's what I'd prefer. Someone else can brag that they have more power. I only care if I actually have the better car, not necessarily the "fastest" (usually in a straight line) car...
Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 PM

^ I tend to agree with that line of thinking when it comes to Porsche. They almost never have the most powerful car in its class, but it is normally one of the most fun, and certainly near the top of the track time list. Also, As far as cars that you can drive to the track, flog the sh*t out of, and drive it home, they are IMO one of the most dependable and rarely have dumb issues like overheating brakes, oil starve, or overheating in general. Most importantly, They are generally the easiest cars to DD for their performance level. (Don't need to fear steep driveways, or speed bumps. Ride is more than comfortable enough that you don't have to apologize to your date.)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I like it, but then my wife says "It looks like a Ford Probe."
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM

918 spyder and carrera gt styling cues =very very attractive car, i like this very much. i would like to see the cayman s of this now

Quick Reply: 2013 boxster