Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 boxster

Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanman
It is definitely a improvement, but I just can't fathom a 5 hp increase & an MSRP on the base Boxster S of $61K. So basically after you option it out decently, you are looking at a $75K Boxster S that has less hp than a Hyundai. Porsche needs to step up (even though they never do) & make their base cars attractive. I would understand better if they did like the 911 & reduced the weight 80-90 lbs AND 5 hp increase, but it's just rapidly falling behind it's market. I'm sure you will always have a certain group that love it, but the people can look around & see a 330+ hp 370Z, & 350 hp upcoming Hyundai, not to even mention the american cars that would leave it for dead in a straightline. Offerings from MBZ, BMW & Audi that have significantly more hp. Obviously a Boxster S is more than that, but why do you even have to make an excuse at that price point.
I think your statements are naive because you're effectively only looking at how much horsepower you get for the price. If it were that simplistic, then everyone would buy cars like Mustang GTs and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Porsches are always about being more than the sum of their parts. They're among the quickest cars (if not THE quickest) for their HP figures due to excellent launch characteristics and great transmissions (in the case of PDK) as well as low weight. The handling is very, very good as well, not to mention their grip and braking levels.

Yes, people can say that a Boxster S has less power than a Hyundai Genesis with the big V6. But in a head-to-head race, it won't even be close, not to mention around a track. A 370Z has already been proven to be a slower overall car (though it goes through corners faster since the brakes overheat - you just crash part way through).

I understand the frustration/annoyance of other cars being more powerful but really, Porsches are rarely about pure power. Even the 997TT gives up power to its big rivals. However, it holds its own against all of them in virtually every way (and exceeds in others). And for me, that's what I'd prefer. Someone else can brag that they have more power. I only care if I actually have the better car, not necessarily the "fastest" (usually in a straight line) car...

Porsches are really about the best sports car you can get when you want a reliable, fast, and usable machine that will put a smile on your face.

And people IMO have become jaded about cars needing more power all the time. I think the BRZ is going to surprise a lot of people with how fun it is for the power output.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555
^ I tend to agree with that line of thinking when it comes to Porsche. They almost never have the most powerful car in its class, but it is normally one of the most fun, and certainly near the top of the track time list. Also, As far as cars that you can drive to the track, flog the sh*t out of, and drive it home, they are IMO one of the most dependable and rarely have dumb issues like overheating brakes, oil starve, or overheating in general. Most importantly, They are generally the easiest cars to DD for their performance level. (Don't need to fear steep driveways, or speed bumps. Ride is more than comfortable enough that you don't have to apologize to your date.)
Porsches are the everyday exotics.