S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Swift Spec R.... Review

Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Go2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swift Spec R.... Review

So the time came that our CR was going to get its next mod.

We knew that the car would not be tracked, but driven on nicer days and if the roads and situation permitted, a little spirited driving. The tire gap is very unsightly and therefore lowering the car was a must. So the hunt for a lowering spring finally came down to the Swift Spec R's.

CR Spring rates

Front: 7.0kg/mm=392ft/lbs

Rear: 6.2kg/mm=348ft/lbs

Spec R Spring rates

Front: 7.5kg/mm=420ft/lbs

Rear: 7.0kg/mm=392ft/lbs

Swift claims these will lower your car 1.25 inches front and back.

Sunday Feb 26 Toaster_M assisted me with the install of the springs onto the stock CR struts.

Height - Initial Drop was 3/4 inch lower in front and 1/2 in the rear. Today after 48 hours and putting a few miles on the springs the front lowered to nearly an inch(I'd say 7/8) and the rear remains at aproximately 1/2 inch. I'm sure time/gravity will further the progress.

Handling - I can only attest to street driving and freeway. The jarring feeling of every imperfection now how been translated into a flowing bump rather than a jagged stab.

As time passes and more miles have been driven, I will update this with new feedback.

I hope this helps others who are considering lowering their CR
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice job John! Looking forward to going for a ride in your car sometime!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Go2

Originally Posted by #172CR
Nice job John! Looking forward to going for a ride in your car sometime!
Consider it done Sir
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

420 "in/lbs" .... that's spaghetti soft man!

Nice writeup, can you please post some pics once they settled in?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Here's my review: Car feels nearly identical to stock in street driving. If anything I would say they actually reduced understeer a tad. Sadly I haven't had a chance to track them. The drop looks absolutely perfect once they settle (took mine a couple months, I don't drive the CR much). I'll post pics once I get the car all shined up.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM

how much were they?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a buddy that has these on his CR and I've had the opportunity to drive it on track.

Under street use, it has almost zero effect on handling. On track, it makes the car understeer a bit more. However, I'd like to note that my friend's car's alignment was also geared toward understeer. I may have to convince him to get some camber joints

The high speed damping seemed okay with the swift springs, but low speed rebound seemed a bit off. Low speed compression also felt okay.

Overall, I wouldn't say they either hurt or helped performance; it's hard to tell because the changes can partially be attributed to the alignment.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I drove CBR2200's very briefly on the street. Car felt like stock, but actually a little smoother over the bumps.

Saw his car this past weekend after the springs settled some more and the car looks perfect! It is lowered just enough imo.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Go2

^ Yeah I agree that it feels the same, just smoother over bumps. Hopefully it'll be more settled by summer

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't own a CR, but i do have these springs on my AP2, and the initial drop from the spec-r's seem rather small. did you preload the springs during the installation? i only bring this up, b/c the drop on my car was immediate and practically the full 1.25"

i'd be curious to see how my car drives in the hands of pyschoazn, given the fact he's has a stock cr, his buddy has a cr on swift spec-rs, and i have just a regular ap2 w/ the swift spec-r's but on stock ap2 shocks. it could probably be beneficial to the community to have that kind of input...fyi, i am local to you pyschoazn

edit: i also have a '00 ap1 front sway bar and stock ap2 ('07) rear sway bar, so i'm in the ball park of what i would *assume* is almost CR-like

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R.... Review