S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

CarFax Discrepancies

Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CarFax Discrepancies

Hello,

I hope this is in the right section, it is related to my s2k. I have a CarFax report from 06/2004 for my 2000 silverstone. The report shows no accidents. Today, I went to get a trade-in appraisal at a dealership (looking at a 2012 WRX). They ran the CarFax and much to my surprise, they pulled up an accident that occurred in 08/2003 (right rear structural damage). Why would that not show up on the CarFax report from 06/2004? That report shows activity after 08/2003, it just completely skips over the accident. Now the new CarFax shows an automatic price adjustment of -$2,800 off the KBB value and the dealership wants to take even more off because they are "worried about a liability issue" - which makes me worry about selling it privately and dealing with some liability issue. Am I pretty much out of luck here? Should I contact CarFax since the first report was from 2004; seems too long ago. Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I would contact carfax immediately.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Very interesting. I would definitely call them ASAP. Their "buy back guarantee" might offer you some options since it came up clean when you bought the car. This kind of thing really makes you question CarFax's reliability.

As a former 3rd gen WRX owner, I can tell you that you'll love the car, just be careful with mods, as the new Subarus are notorious for cracked ringlands, even bone stock. Actually, the stock tune has unofficially been the cause of failure on many of them. It kinda puts you unto a catch 22. Reflash to an aftermarket map that doesn't spike lean at partial throttle, but reflashing can void warranty. Or leave it stock to preserve warranty, and risk cracking ringlands. Check out www.3gwrx.com for a great '08+ specific forum that is very active.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BallSackJack
Hello,

I hope this is in the right section, it is related to my s2k. I have a CarFax report from 06/2004 for my 2000 silverstone. The report shows no accidents. Today, I went to get a trade-in appraisal at a dealership (looking at a 2012 WRX). They ran the CarFax and much to my surprise, they pulled up an accident that occurred in 08/2003 (right rear structural damage). Why would that not show up on the CarFax report from 06/2004? That report shows activity after 08/2003, it just completely skips over the accident. Now the new CarFax shows an automatic price adjustment of -$2,800 off the KBB value and the dealership wants to take even more off because they are "worried about a liability issue" - which makes me worry about selling it privately and dealing with some liability issue. Am I pretty much out of luck here? Should I contact CarFax since the first report was from 2004; seems too long ago. Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would contact carfax. They have coverage for such issues. However they are only collecting data from a range of reporting groups. If that data wasn't posted at the time they may say not their fault.

As for getting the WRX, you'll wish you hadn't. Friend of mine trade in his 06 S for a 2011 WRX STI. He's regretted it and is not looking at getting an S. The reality is the boost is a lot of fun, as is having 4 doors but they aren't the same build quality, or performance.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM

I doubt Carfax will do anything about this. A quick google search for "carfax guarantee" reveals that you must register for the guarantee within 90 days of purchasing the car. Even if you did register it, it doesn't look like people have had much luck when trying to file a claim as Carfax just uses loopholes to get out of the claim. Carfax (or any of the vehicle history services) only reduces your chances of buying a car with a "problem" as they only report whatever information they have access to at the time of the report.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no liability worry on the part of the dealership as long as they state the Carfax result to the next buyer. The dealer is just trying to lowball you and is using the Carfax report as a reason. You face no liability if you sell privately as long as you disclose what's on the Carfax, so don't worry about that, either. In fact, you may be better off selling it yourself. If you don't want the hassle, then just shop around at other Subie dealers to see whether you can get a better deal. The one you are trying to deal with is being dishonest or simply doesn't want to take on a used car that they can't sell as a "clean Carfax" car. I've had your experience in the past.

As far as the discrepancy on Carfax.....I'd contact them even if you never registered for the guarantee. I Carfaxed my own car (not the S2000) and found an inaccurate description of an accident. I contacted them, sent in appropriate documents, and they changed the report.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

You should just sell it privately...you'll get more out of it anyway