S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OEM windshield vs aftermarket (Safelite)

Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM windshield vs aftermarket (Safelite)

Hi,

My windshield cracked, and I called my insurance and they said they will cover non-OEM windshield replacement. They referred me to Safelite, but I can choose others if you guys think there's better in Southern California.

My question is, is OEM significantly better than typical aftermarket replacements? If so, in what way? UV, weight, etc? I just called Safelite, and the rep there promised me there is 0 difference between their glass and OEM (other than the Honda stamp on the outside) as they supply the OEM glass to Honda anyway. Is the rep correct in the case of the S2000?

I have an appointment for Thurs (tomorrow), so if I need to go elsewhere I need to change the appointment soon.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just got a safelite one installed yesterday. word of advice, take pics of your dash and anything around the glass. they scratched his dash a bit on install and he's pretty upset, they also didn't install it correctly and left it looking like ass. They are going to re-install it on tuesday, the day before we all leave for the dragon. They also said they will look at the dash to see if it was something they did, which I'm willing to bet they are going to deny.

Other than that, I think the windshield will be fine.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by drkphnx
My buddy just got a safelite one installed yesterday. word of advice, take pics of your dash and anything around the glass. they scratched his dash a bit on install and he's pretty upset, they also didn't install it correctly and left it looking like ass. They are going to re-install it on tuesday, the day before we all leave for the dragon. They also said they will look at the dash to see if it was something they did, which I'm willing to bet they are going to deny.

cool, thanks man for the advice. i think i will take pictures as you suggest. good idea.

anyone else know if there is any technical difference in any way between safelite and oem? weight, hardness, uv, etc.?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

I will post what I have read and shared - Most aftermarket ones are cheaper. I have also read they are wavy and seem to chip and get sand blasted easily. Just what I have read
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drkphnx

I had a small company replace the glass in my wife's 325i. I couldn't be happier. The guy did an amazing job, damaging nothing and installing in record time. I've seen dozens of reports of BMW dealerships absolutely botching the job. It isn't as important which place you use, it is whether the particular company is good.

Ask around for advice for who to use. I got the name of the shop from the indy repair shop-they've used them all the time. That is often the best place for advice on glass repair.

By the way, the glass place stated that non-OEM glass was typically made by the same/similar manufacturers. There isn't a big difference, so long as the company knows enough to color match the glass (some cars have slight green tints, etc.). BMW wanted $800+ for OEM glass and "four guys for four hours" to install (about another $800). The indy shop I used charged $240 including install and tax.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see how the Honda glass could be superior. I have owned many cars (this is my 8th Honda) and never have I had such a pitted windshield after 50,000 miles. I should be so lucky as to get a stone break my glass and have it replaced with something else.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Niteshade
I can't see how the Honda glass could be superior. I have owned many cars (this is my 8th Honda) and never have I had such a pitted windshield after 50,000 miles. I should be so lucky as to get a stone break my glass and have it replaced with something else.
I haven't had as many cars (or Hondas), but I agree. My S2000 windshield is by far the most pitted.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt that Honda makes their own glass anyway. I'm sure they just supply a few specs and award a contract to the lowest bidder.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by Niteshade' timestamp='1333589139' post='21577186
I haven't had as many cars (or Hondas), but I agree. My S2000 windshield is by far the most pitted.
It's the angle and height of the S2000's glass. Other roadster drivers suffer the same problem.
The following users liked this post:
freq (04-19-2023)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Niteshade
some cars have special glass. my old z06 used ultra light glass, which was actually lighter than the standard corvette's. things like that. was just wondering if that's the case with the s2000.

and yeah, my s2000's glass, like others who posted here, was far more pitted than any cars i have ever driven in my life. it's actually kinda good i have to replace it now--the pitting was actually starting to detract from the driving experience.

Quick Reply: OEM windshield vs aftermarket (Safelite)