S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

OEM windshield vs aftermarket (Safelite)

Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an aftermarket windshield in my EP3. It looks exactly like the stock windshield, even has the black shading just above rearview mirror like the OEM one did. Installer didn't do any damage to anything. Don't know about overall strength, but I have had it for 5 or 6 years, and I know things have hit it while driving down the road and I don't have any cracks or chips.

The reason I have an aftermarked windshield in the EP3 is that some contruction crew was working on the underside of a bridge. As I drove under it, something fell on it and it made a terribly loud noise. Didn't immediately crack. Got to my destination, got out and looked at it pretty good, nothing. Hang out for a couple of hours and when I get back out to my car to leave it has cracked all the way across. Must have been hit somewhere that I didn't see and maybe the temperature changes finished the job. Drove back to the bridge and of course the construction crew as gone.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a safelite windshield in my Celica. Fit and finish is perfect and I haven't notice any issues durability. I do notice that if you look at it at a sharp angle, you can see some waves, but you can't notice it unless you are looking very closely.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rock hit the windshield of my 2011 LR, and cause a 2' crack! The insurance company at first said they wouldn't cover OEM glass, but after talking to the right person, they said they would. The windshield is of the heated/rain sensor variety, and turned out OEM was cheaper than aftermarket! Anyways, safe flite did the install; they did a great job, but I watched the guy like a hawk!

You may want to talk to comeone else at your insurance company (supervisor), and see if they can't work something out.

Mike
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the replies.

so i did get my windshield done at safelite (in pasadena, ca). didn't notice any damage. only tiny nit is that the around the area where the mirror bracket attaches to the glass there was some adhesive smeared around. was told the factory installs that part, but they cleaned it up for me anyway. also noticed that a black sticker is used between the bracket and the glass, and on mine there was a 1cm tiny thin scratch that can be seen as white color against the black of the sticker from the outside of the car. but it didn't bother me so i didn't say anything about it. otherwise everything looked just like stock.

sitting as the driver i did see distortion of lines at the very far last couple inches on the passenger side of the glass. i don't remember how oem looked, but i have a feeling it was the same, as most cars look like that at extreme angles. otherwise, i do not see the "waviness" that others report.

they took about 1hr to do it from the time they started (they made me wait for about 20min from my appointment time before doing anything.) but it seems they did a good job. would recommend.