S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

How to: KPro III Digital WBO2 Input

Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm bumping this thread.

With the release of kpro 4, the digital input can now be used for tuning. Who has done it?

In the coming days I will be doing a ap1 S2000 with kpro4 that will be running plx wideband, plx fluid pressure, and plx fluid temperature. I'm eager to see if anyone has done this yet!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The same digital input configuration works in the KPro 4. I tried closed loop from my PLX WBO2 digital input briefly and it worked, but I had to turn it off. I was too busy fixing my tune and that is much easier in open loop. For whatever reason, the KPro 4 upgrade destroyed my idle and starting with ID 1000 injectors. I have no idea why the KPro 3 to KPro 4 upgrade would do that. I think that I finally have my idle close, but starting was actually better on my AEM series 1 because you could use valid injector data rather than having to use fake data obtained via trial and error... Starting, especially hot starts, is still a crapshoot, although I haven't spent a ton of time re-tuning it.

The really good news is that live tuning works and helped my dial in my fuel map around idle conditions in a very, very short amount of time. The bad news is that if I had real injector data, I wouldn't have needed to touch my idle by more than a couple percent even if starting from the Hondata basemap.

I may try the new AutoTune soon just to see how it works.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out my thoughts on the KPro 4. I love some of the new features, but sometimes it still feels more like a really advanced piggyback than a true standalone.

Tim
Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Your saying your tried using the PLX wideband for closed loop, so no narrowband? I know it is an option but I think using the factory narrowband is a better idea. I plan to keep it on the PRA calibration and retain the narrowband function for closed loop. I prefer the Honda system over aftermarket sensors running the car.

I have not had to mess around with injector values, but I'm assuming you mean the fuel trim setting of injector size not being entirely correct...? Then having to adjust the trim until it is just right...?

I do like the kpro stuff, and it is a glorified piggyback, but it is pretty damn good!

I do have a question though. Seeing as I am running multiple PLX Sensor modules through the digital input, do I need to label certain sensors as a certain analog input? Meaning, can I put wideband as AN0, pressure as AN01, and temp as AN02? Does it need to be in a certain order? For some reason I think I read this somewhere...
Old 06-22-2015, 06:41 PM

from the digital input screen where PLX products are described all the way at the bottom.

"For each channel the channel type (typically wideband for single channel inputs) and unit may be selected. With the PLX since it is possible to have multiple channels of the same type (eg 4 channels of lambda, or 4 channels of EGT) an instance number can be set. The instance number is set by the PLX device based on the order in the daisy chain. eg the first unit is 0, the second is 1 etc. Note that this only occurs when multiple channels of the same type are present in the chain - normally the instance will be zero."
Old 06-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Nevermind, I see that is for identical sensors on the PLX iMFD (4 EGT, or 4 WB AFR). This will not be needed as I have all different types of sensors.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:06 AM

Yes. I have the narrowband still, but you can use either the analog or digital PLX WBO2 input for closed loop. I think that this is also required for the AutoTune feature.

It's the Fuel Injector Flow Rate and Injector Voltage Compensation that are driving me nuts. I think I am getting them close, but need to have a better look at the other fuel trims.

I have the PLX WBO2 wired as both digital and analog. If i had multiple sensors, I probably wouldn't have bothered with wiring it both ways.

I am very excited that the KPro 4 supports the digital output from other WBO2 sensors natively (inverted, normal, +5V, +3.3V). This is perhaps more powerful than any other tuning device/standalone. I plan to install AEM WBO2 and Boost gauges in the next few months, and the PLX bits will probably become a portable/add-on tuning system for me that I can use to double check whatever sensors I have in my other cars. I found that the PLX gauges were too hard to read with the top down, and the DM-100 boost reading is too slow. I am very, very happy that the AEM sensors will be plug and play and I won't have to mess with any converters.

Tim
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you might be disappointed with the AEM UEGO. I have the 30-4100. I have hooked up the digital input to my KPRO v4 under the negative input and it doesn't work. If you read the Hondata forums more. You will notice hay Hondata says the 30-4100 digital output is different and hence isn't supported.

Analog does work, but it's fluctuating like mad for me.

Because of this issue. I'm getting a new sensor as digital output is more precise and accurate, and I do not need to worry too much about the accuracy between the gauge and the Hondata logger.

Reading from what youve said. Is the PLX response slow compared to innovative and the rest? I like the PLX because of the graph and the sensor life feature. Which is a setup above innovative.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM

I am replacing the PLX for a few reasons. The concept is very slick and I think they they did a ton of things correctly, but these three things are deal breakers for my S2000.

1. They are unreliable. Sometimes they do not turn on. Sometimes they turn on, but the DM-6 will show 10:1 or 20:1 AFR. The only solution is to "reboot" the gauge. Because I installed them under the dash with no easy power plug access, this requires turning off and on the car.
(Even if I had power plug access, the plugs are so flimsy that if you unplug them more than a few times, they will break.)
2. You cannot read the display in sunlight with the top down (DM-100).
3. The boost gauge via OBD2 is way too slow to be effective (DM-100).

As a result, the PLX DM-100, DM-6, and SM-AFT will probably become a paired set of gauges that I use to double check the WBO2 in my other cars as part of a loose, cigarette lighter powered, tuning kit.

The setup I love the most is what I have in my 9-7X. I have SpeedHut custom gauges that matche my OEM instrumentation. The boost sensor is from SpeedHut, but the WBO2 reads from a NGK AFR.

I had an AEM WBO2 in my S2000 when I had the series 1 EMS, and I have an AEM WBO2 gauge in my Monte Carlo. Both have worked very well. The AEM I have for the S2000 is the 30-4110 with the newer Bosch sensor. The AEM output would work digitally with the KPro 3, but you needed a TTLtoRS232 converter. It appears that this is built into the KPro 4 now. Have you tried the other negative input?

Tim