Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Soft Top Patches?

Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soft Top Patches?

I've got the normal wear spots on my top and they let a little light through but no water through yet. I wanted to get 2 patches to cover them but wasn't sure exactly what to purchase. I've tried doing searches on here but for some reason I can't get anything. Let me know what you guys used please. I've seen this on a threat but not sure if I should get it or not. Thanks in advance guys and gals! Does anyone have used top patches?

http://www.sportsman...00131/cat101548
The following users liked this post:
Mich_s2k (08-24-2022)
Old 05-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people sell pieces/patches of oem soft top fabric in the main classifieds that are fairly cheap. pick up as much as you need and some adhesive. if the tear is at where the softtop bar/frame is, i would patch it on the underside so it gives it a bit more wear resistance to help the tear get too much bigger.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Ask, and ye shall receive: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/953...-plastic-back/
Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mezzfin
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! The tears are super small and I can last through next winter without water getting through, but I'd feel better if I patched it up a little right now. I appreciate it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM

ok forget the patches using the softtop material, you need ballistic nylon and an adhesive called E-6000, i used it, its been on for almost two years and hasn't budged, its thin but resists knife slashes... it doesn't create drag on the roll bars, its waterproof and best of all a half yard and the E-6000 will only run you about 7 bucks!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if you do use oem material for the patches, get some hh-66 vinyl cement to apply them. They use it on boats and in the flag and banner industry. You can get it in portland at I believe it's called portland flag and banner or most boat shops.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried several patches including some from a convertible shop in Portland and all were failures. And then I did some searches and found what was working for most on the site... and success!

Stopped in the fabric store and bought a yard of black vinyl for less than $2. Stopped at the auto parts store and bought a big tube of super black RTV. Carefully cut over-sized patches (I made patterns with paper first), apply a good coat of RTV as an adhesive, press in place for five minutes, and let cure for 12 hours. Best patch I have seen... more than a year later they are still great.

My top has seen a lot of cycles since 1999 and I expect I can keep it leak free with this technique.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 9MMSWORD
ok forget the patches using the softtop material, you need ballistic nylon and an adhesive called E-6000, i used it, its been on for almost two years and hasn't budged, its thin but resists knife slashes... it doesn't create drag on the roll bars, its waterproof and best of all a half yard and the E-6000 will only run you about 7 bucks!
Do you think I can get that ballistic nylon at a fabric store? Or where did you buy it from? Also, for the E-6000 I am suppose to use it on the patch inside the car, and should I put it on the outside of the top where the wear spot is?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath
Originally Posted by 9MMSWORD' timestamp='1337494977' post='21713550
Do you think I can get that ballistic nylon at a fabric store? Or where did you buy it from? Also, for the E-6000 I am suppose to use it on the patch inside the car, and should I put it on the outside of the top where the wear spot is?

Name:  2012-05-20_19-06-31_679.jpg
Views: 3682
Size:  249.0 KB

i got my nylon from a local fabric store in beaverton called mill end fabric store, i used the patch on the inside where i had the typical wear marks/holes starting above your shoulders, apply a thin layer of e6000 to the shiny side, stick it down and smooth it out good so its down evenly, wait 3 days for top down, like i said before this stuff will not create drag as the top folds and the frame bars rub against it and the military uses this stuff for body armor and back packs, I've trusted my life to this stuff so... yeah its the best you can get any other questions just let me know.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by 9MMSWORD
Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath' timestamp='1337536428' post='21714314
[quote name='9MMSWORD' timestamp='1337494977' post='21713550']

Name:  2012-05-20_19-06-31_679.jpg
Views: 4255
Size:  249.0 KB

i got my nylon from a local fabric store in beaverton called mill end fabric store, i used the patch on the inside where i had the typical wear marks/holes starting above your shoulders, apply a thin layer of e6000 to the shiny side, stick it down and smooth it out good so its down evenly, wait 3 days for top down, like i said before this stuff will not create drag as the top folds and the frame bars rub against it and the military uses this stuff for body armor and back packs, I've trusted my life to this stuff so... yeah its the best you can get any other questions just let me know.
[/quote]

Awesome!!! Ok, I'm going to pick some up this week. Should I go to autozone or something for the e6000? Or would I probably have to get it online? Also, how did you apply the thin layer? Did you use your finger to spread it around or what? Sorry for asking 100 questions! I just don't want to do it wrong. Thanks again, I appreciate it a lot.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Patches?