California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

RIP Gary Jaehne

Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RIP Gary Jaehne

Not sure how many motorcycle riders are familiar with him on here but he was a big part of the riding community in the bay area.
He'll definitely be missed but never forgotten
Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary and Doc

Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a chance to hang out with him back in late 90's at T-hill with my older brother. He rode a very rare exotic, Honda NSR 250 which inspired me to purchase one aswell. He will be missed.

Here's a pic of my old NSR. Reflections changed a bit. Lol
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Gary on his NSR. He was legendary to the motorcycle community.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like Pescadero got him...RIP

Trolls: Please don't flame this guy for going fast in the mountains. He deserves respect.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...dent-san-mateo

PESCADERO - Gary Jaehne, a 57-year-old Scotts Valley man well-known in Bay Area motorcycle racing circles, died Saturday after his 2008 Kawasaki plunged about 70 feet down an embankment in rural San Mateo County, authorities said.

It took more than an hour for rescue teams to retrieve Jaehne due to the steep terrain and the remote location between Pescadero and La Honda, Cal Fire officials said,.

California Highway Patrol officers believe Jaehne was riding east on Pescadero Creek Road in the Loma Mar area when he lost control of his motorcycle about 12:20 p.m.

He was conscious when paramedics -- using a rope rescue -- found him, a Cal Fire engineer said. He had been riding with a group, the official said. Jaehne was flown by helicopter to Stanford Hospital, but later succumbed to his injuries, the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office confirmed.

According to posts on the Bay Area Riders Forum, Jaehne was a longtime California road racer who was a mentor to many younger riders. One friend called him a "250 legend."

Jaehne authored a book called "Sportbiking: The Real World (The Advanced Riders Handbook.)" Per a review on Web Bike World, he had competed with various local and national organizations and served as an instructor at DP Safety School.

In a 1999 Saratoga News story about high-speed riding on Highway 9, Jaehne was described as a full-time high-tech employee and part-time motorcycle racing safety instructor.

Even though he was
a safety instructor, Jaehne said danger is inherent to the sport, Steve Enders of Saratoga News reported.

"Guys know where the dangerous spots are, know where the cops are," he said. "Most guys ride careful up here, but even with me, it's competitive. You know, if I pass someone, then he passes me, then I pass him again, I'm not going to let him pass again. I can't help being competitive."
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So unfortunate. I know who Dr.Wong is on the right but I'm not too familar with Gary. I seen his posts on BARF but this is sad, especially for the guys on the riders forum.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP - to live & die doing your passion is honorable; the thought of Senna comes to mind & other incredible drivers in history.

Careful up there guys!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Wow, saw a memorial set up where he crashed today on a drive to the beach. Best wishes to his family
Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

RIP Gary Jaehne-2cvgo.jpg
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I never met this guy or don't know him but it seems he is quite famous around here. Am I the only one here to find the irony that a safety instructor rider taking risks?

Judging by his quotes though I would say this is avoidable. There is a difference between being competitive in a race and taking un-necessary risk on a public road.

Whenever a race story is posted you guys say "take it to the track" but when this happens, as sad as it is, he should have saved been more careful and saved his competitive racing for the track.

RIP for sure - honorable maybe but not if he left behind family / kids, condolences to the family.

Quick Reply: RIP Gary Jaehne