Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Question about receiving parts from US

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about receiving parts from US

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding ordering parts from the USA. I currently live in Thunder Bay, Ontario and will be moving to Ottawa at the end of the month. I usually purchase all of my parts and have them shipped to a business in the US just over the american border. They would hold the packages for you to come and pick them up for a small fee. Are there any such places in the Ottawa area? I hate paying brokerage fees and the excessive shipping prices to Canada. Thanks!

Neema
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by neeman77
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding ordering parts from the USA. I currently live in Thunder Bay, Ontario and will be moving to Ottawa at the end of the month. I usually purchase all of my parts and have them shipped to a business in the US just over the american border. They would hold the packages for you to come and pick them up for a small fee. Are there any such places in the Ottawa area? I hate paying brokerage fees and the excessive shipping prices to Canada. Thanks!

Neema
Look up any UPS store and find the closest one across the border. You can get stuff shipped there and pay 10 bucks to have them hold it for you.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Perfect I didn't know you could do that. For others reference this is the closest:

http://www.theupsstorelocal.com/2946/
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ogdensburg UPS store.

There is also the Corporate Center for large items like engines and transmissions and such. They have a proper loading dock.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by neeman77
Hey everyone,

Neema
I use the "original" Corporate Center in Ogdensburg http://www.corp-ctr.com
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Do the Corporate Center instead. Nice people to deal with and you're not giving any $$$ to UPS
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 PM

My wife and I live in Brockville and we wear the bridge out going to Ogdensburg for packages. We used to go to the UPS store, but grew to despise it. They misplace packages constantly and are generally disorganized, so the wait is usually quite long. There's an old lady working there that makes me an advocate for euthanasia - bad attitude, glacial speed, acts like she hates the customers. Anyhow, the only reason to use them is if you just need the slightly extended hours that they are open.

The pros:
+ longer hours than other local options
+ web site where you can see if your package arrived
The cons:
- they SUCK at keeping track of packages - which is part of the reason you will be waiting in line for a long time. Bring a sandwich.
- they have a bad attitude about it
- they charge $5 per week that they have your package.
- They don't check your ID. I've actually had friends whose packages disappeared. Someone else picked them up. Anyone can go on the website and guess names until they find one. Then they go pay $5 and get your package. I don't know how often it happens, but I don't like that they're lazy about it.

Fortunately, there's a better alternative. There's a place downtown called N.A.C. Logistics. They are a member of the Kinek network. Go to kinek.com to check it out. You create a free membership profile on kinek and you get a number unique to you. Then you can have your packages delivered to any of the kinek member sites, with that number in the address. They send you an email when it arrives. N.A.C. Logistics is a kinek site and most likely when you go to get a package, you will be dealing with the owner, Crow Smith. He's fantastic. He even loaned me some tools to install a front lip (that I bought on this forum) while I was there. You know, just to make sure it fit.

Pros:
+ you get an email when your package arrives - to the email address you give kinek
+ they're organized and don't lose track of where they put your package
+ they only charge $5 even if it's more than a week before you pick it up
+ they check ID - until they get to know you by name. (If you go twice a week like my wife, that'll happen)
+ they have great attitudes and are friendly.
+ they are fast - you won't wait in line as long as the UPS store

Cons:
- shorter hours - which you'll need to make note of if you're coming from Ottawa.
- it take about 5 minutes longer to get to downtown Ogdensburg vs. the location of the UPS store

Now, just a note about the border crossing back. The border agents at that crossing know exactly why every Canadian goes across and back so quickly. So, don't try to B.S. them. They aren't jerks or anything, but they do conduct searches and they do bust people all of the time. That's their job.

On a side note, while you're in Ogdensburg, go to Busters (it's a sports-bar/restaurant) and get one of their awesome burgers or killer buffalo wings. And a slice of their home-made gigantic pies and cakes.

I don't work for any of the above mentioned businesses. I live and work in Brockville, but between my S2000 mods and my wife's Zappo's addiction, we have become experts.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Hahah that is great info, I became a regular myself when I was in thunder bay. I would walk in the door and they would bring my packages out for me and ask me how school was going. I appreciate all the help, I actually went down to the UPS store to ship a couple of things out already 2 days ago and saw an S2K on the way there. It was red with a black bra on the front. I will have to look into all the above suggestions. Thanks again!

Neema