Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Subaru BRZ

Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 Subaru BRZ

Original teaser pic:

Introduction

The Subaru BRZ is the culmination of Toyota and Subaru's combined engineering prowess. It is likely the first car from either company that has caught the eye of R&C's resident s2k drivers. Suspecting that this car has great potential Mike K. (aka psychoazn on S2ki) placed a deposit in January 2012, and took delivery of a Satin White Pearl 2013 Subaru BRZ on July 24th, 2012.

Testing was performed at the Streets of Willow Springs. Saturday's morning event was run CW, while the night and Sunday events were run CCW.

Initial Impressions

The BRZ is roomy. I have far more arm room than in the s2k. In fact, I even feel that the car is "too large". I'm further away from the shifter than I'm used to. However, the car has a very distinctive Subaru feel to me. The shifter feels as if it's out of a STi, but with far more precision. The new car smell is the same as that of my 06 STI. The tach does a "sweep" every time the car is turned on. Even the clutch engages in the same fashion as the STI.

During break-in, I followed a strict procedure of keeping the RPMs under 3k, and very light load on the throttle. Even then, the car felt peppy. It gave the impression that there was far more waiting to be unleashed when I would be able to experience the 7400 RPM redline. Brake pedal feel was good (the has a twin piston floating caliper front brake) and the car definitely turned FAR better than I expected, given that the tires are shared with... a Toyota Prius. Getting to a minimum was simply excruciating.

Track Prep

Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads were acquired from 949 Racing, and the brake system was flushed with Ferrodo SRF from Essex Racing. RPF1 with 17x8 +45 (5x100 bolt pattern! ) with stock size (215/45/17) Z1 Star Specs were prepared, as well as a muffler delete from CounterSpace Garage. These would be put on at the track.

Stock impression at the track

The car needs more power. It can BARELY break the stock tires loose, and only at 6.5k+ RPM. Under steady state cornering, the car suffers from standard Subaru understeer. You have to force it to break the rear loose (clutch kick, LARGE rough input, throwing the weight around, e-brake, but not mid-turn braking); power-over is nearly non-existant. However, when the rear does come out, it's VERY easy to manage. It's nothing like the s2k's ultra-trigger-happy rear end, and I was easily able to hold larger and larger angles and slides. I would predict that this is going to be a very popular drift car as the price goes down, 10-15 years from now. It's definitely fun to drift.

I ran a 1:35.9 my first lap in an ambient temp of 87F. I only did 2 hot laps, as I wanted to preserve the stock tires. They were already chunking.

Stock + Z1 Star Spec impression at the track

I'll admit, I was very disappointed. Compounded with my total of 6 hours of sleep in the previous 4 days attempting to break-in and prep the car, I completely lost the will to drive. I feared that putting on the Z1SS would only make the car understeer worse and less fun to drive.

Mid day rolled around, and I finally decided that I might as well try the Z1SS, as I had already signed up for 3 back-to-back track days (Extreme Speed was hosting day events on Saturday and Sunday, as well as a night event on Saturday). Instructing some novices had cheered me up, and quite a few attendees were interested in seeing what the car could do with better tires.

Entering the skidpad, I could already tell that the car had come alive. With the increased grip all around, I was able to much more comfortably explore the limits of the car's chassis and suspension. I could force the rear to come out by swinging the weight around, but the car otherwise still understeered, albeit mildly, even under WOT. There was no way to break the tires loose with the additional grip, even in 2nd gear.

I ran a 1:30.9 after two laps with a passenger in 82F ambient. Being too exhausted, I would retire from trying for a fast lap time, and settled for more instructing newbies, and giving some friends rides in the BRZ.

The next day, I ran in the "Subie Extreme" competition amidst a swarm of WRXs and STis. I'd finish mid-pack with a best time of 1:31.4 in 106F ambient. The track surface was far too hot to even touch. I would imagine that in winter temps, the car would be 2.5 seconds faster.

All driving was done on stock alignment (~ -0.6 front camber, -0.3 rear camber, from what I've read). Mark Tsai (colatkitty) ran a 1:32.x in the car, cruising.

Additional Info

The car DOES comfortably fit 4 rims/tires, tools, and everything else you need for two people. Additionally, the car is "overbuilt". It blatently screams that a turbo version is in the works. Exhaust piping, oversized throttle body, etc.

Street Driving Impressions

The car is comfortable. It handles similar enough to the S2k that I have no qualms about saying that it is almost every bit as fun driving around on public roads; the only thing lacking is acceleration. It has modern features (Voice commands, nav, bluetooth, XM/HD radio) and is very well insulated from wind noise. It even has plenty of space. I've fit 4x 255/40/17 tires in it with plenty of room to spare for tools, helmets, and gear for a weekend at the track and the trunk will easily accommodate 2 full size luggage. If you fold down the back seat, you can fit 4, or 5 if you don't mind losing visibility out the rear window.

Conclusion

The BRZ is better than sum of its parts. Looking at specs: McPherson strut, not so hot HP/weight ratio, rough revving boxer engine, crappy dyno graph (with that big dip mid rpm), you'd never expect this car to perform as well as it does. With some parts (coilovers, RCA, splitter, wing, rims, tires), this car will easily outperform a similarly modified S2k at the track. I'm excited to turbo this car

For daily driving, if you don't mind trading a little power and the ability to go top-down on a whim for comfort and modern technology, this is easily the superior car.

I observed about 30 mpg combined city and hwy driving; I typically see low 20's in my track-prepped CR.

Pictures

Yes, at the track already

Videos

First lap ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKH0T86i0o

Night lap CCW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVkQXqsbXfE
Old 08-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the point of a rwd car if you get understeer on corner exit?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
With some parts (coilovers, RCA, splitter, wing, rims, tires), this car will easily outperform a similarly modified S2k at the track. I'm excited to turbo this car

Curious how you came to that conclusion. What type of times do you run with your CR on the same track?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM

I know this is a bit off topic.

I was looking over motortrend the other day and noticed that the scion fr-s was posting faster acceleration times than the BRZ in a comparison. I thought the subaru was considered more upscale.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ahbongkadah
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1343866124' post='21906452
With some parts (coilovers, RCA, splitter, wing, rims, tires), this car will easily outperform a similarly modified S2k at the track. I'm excited to turbo this car
Curious how you came to that conclusion. What type of times do you run with your CR on the same track?
In ideal weather, I have done a 1:23 clockwise and 1:24 counterclockwise.

Stock CR except for:
Clutch
Flywheel
Wheels (17x8.5 square)
255/40/17 EHP tires
J's 70RR
Flashpro
Camber joints F/R
Alignment

Originally Posted by 20aeman
Because the understeer can easily be dialed out
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 20aeman
On the gas => more understeer, up to the point of impending wheelspin. Relative understeer on corner exit is normal for rwd, fwd, awd. You don't want oversteer on corner exit, and on a higher-powered rwd car you will take more of a "point and shoot" line to avoid it. Don't believe everything you learned about performance driving from F&F...
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kTony
I know this is a bit off topic.

I was looking over motortrend the other day and noticed that the scion fr-s was posting faster acceleration times than the BRZ in a comparison. I thought the subaru was considered more upscale.
"Upscale" has little to do with acceleration times. The only differences between the two cars are that the Subaru has a bit more equipment and sound deadening, so a bit more weight, and its suspension is tuned slightly softer. So, a bit more weight, and a bit more weight shift, you'd expect the acceleration times to be slightly slower.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Originally Posted by ahbongkadah' timestamp='1343882403' post='21907034
[quote name='psychoazn' timestamp='1343866124' post='21906452']
In ideal weather, I have done a 1:23 clockwise and 1:24 counterclockwise.

Stock CR except for:
Clutch
Flywheel
Wheels (17x8.5 square)
255/40/17 EHP tires
J's 70RR
Flashpro
Camber joints F/R
Alignment
[/quote]

Really??? I would have expected (and still do) that the S would still be better, even if only marginally, than the FRS/BRZ around a track and on the street.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 AM

Nice write up.

For daily driving, if you don't mind trading a little power and the ability to go top-down on a whim for comfort and modern technology, this is easily the superior car.
That's funny, in that order, top down and too much power are my top two requirements while modern technology annoys me. My sister may like the BRZ, she doesn't want too much sun because it can cause wrinkles and the wind can mess up her hair plus the lack of power fits in to her way of driving. I guess they found their niche with the BRZ, 50 year old women.

The looks of the car are growing on me, the exterior is very busy, but it is growing on me.

Quick Reply: 2013 Subaru BRZ