S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need help with fuel pressure test

Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with fuel pressure test

hey guys, 03 ap1 here, 76k. i've been tracing down a power loss problem for a few months now. it almost feels like i have about 400lbs in the trunk, some days are better than others, but it's not like it was when i first got it in april of this year.

i was fidgeting around today and the first thing i noticed was that the line from the intake to the pcv had an extra pcv in the line??? don't know why really, is this anything you guys have seen before?? regardless i've removed it and re-piped the hose. i tried to do the pcv inspection per helms manual, but couldn't get the pcv to make any sort of clicking noise by crimping the hose as described in the manual. i pulled it out, cleaned it, and still no clicky noise.

then i was fidgeting further and happened to pull the vac line off of the fuel pressure regulator. the car instantly perked up and seem to run even smoother than it already was. so i gave the throttle a quick snap and as it dropped back down into idle, i didn't get that stumble/ engine shake feeling that i was used to. so then with the vac line still disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator i went for a drive, and what do you know, i got my old car back. it seemed almost as peppy, if not as peppy as it did when i first got it.

i read through the manual a bit more and looked up some "how this works" videos on fuel pressure regulators, and it seems by disconnecting the vac from the fuel pressure regulator that i've increased fuel pressure a bit. from what i've read it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator, clogged return fuel line, clogged fuel filter or pump on it's way out. i haven't had any starting issues and the only code that pops up is a p1457 (evap leak), and it only comes up once a month or so.

so i'd like to diagnose this, but i need a way to test the fuel pressure. the helms manual has a gauge/adapter kit listed, but do you guys have any experience with the thread size at the test point(fuel pulsation damper?) i have plenty of gauges that can test liquid psi, but i'm not sure what adapter i'll need at the pulsation damper threads.

check this video out if you don't mind. it's basically a reiteration of what i just typed.
http://youtu.be/ywjmduxCxA8

this was my original thread, it has descriptions of what i've done so far. pretty much everything but a fuel pressure test.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/950...#entry21724275
Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tat extra pvc in the line is mayb bcause the car was turbo or supercharge n since the stock pcv is plastic its not strong enough to hold pressure tats y an extra pcv was used.

To test ur pcv, take it off n shake it n listen for the clicking noises.

If u r able to startup everytime then i dont think anything is clog. Mayb ur fp is goin out.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by franky
Tat extra pvc in the line is mayb bcause the car was turbo or supercharge n since the stock pcv is plastic its not strong enough to hold pressure tats y an extra pcv was used.

If u r able to startup everytime then i dont think anything is clog. Mayb ur fp is goin out.
Holy spelling and grammar Batman!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Tryin 2 b short and 2 the point
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 AM

thanks man. i found out that the pcv is new and it seems to be working properly, as far as not clogged and moving freely. i just can't get it to make a clicking noise as described in the helms manual. it basically says to "pinch the hose from the intake to the pcv with your fingers or pliers." if the pcv is working properly it should make a clicking noise, and mine's not. like i said though, mine is new and when i take it out and jiggle it, suck or blow on it, it seems to be working fine.

i'm basically just curious if anyone has used a fuel pressure test kit on this motor, and if they have, what style fitting did they use to attach to the fuel rail? your assumption that the fuel pump is going out is probably a good one, but i'd rather go through the prescribed diagnostics first, before i just start assuming and throwing parts at it.

i went out driving last night and i really think that the car is at 100% with the vac disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator. does anyone know why this is? i can't quite wrap my head around why it's making such a difference. from what i read the vac only affects the fuel pressure regulator at idle, because during wide open throttle there is not much vaccum.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM

i've always been long winded, so more to the point. does anyone have any experience testing the fuel pressures on these cars? if so, how'd you do it?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM

you can install a fuel pressure gauge 0-100psi in the fuel rail or get a fuel pressure gauge and an adapter to test the fuel pressure. Tapping a fuel pressure gauge into the fuel rail would be cheaper. but if you want the test kit then you will have to get this gauge part #07406-004000A online and the adapter part #07VAJ-0040100 and 4 extra washers part #16705-PD1-003 from the honda dealership.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM

you can install a fuel pressure gauge 0-100psi in the fuel rail or get a fuel pressure gauge and an adapter to test the fuel pressure. Tapping a fuel pressure gauge into the fuel rail would be cheaper. but if you want the test kit then you will have to get this gauge part #07406-004000A online and the adapter part #07VAJ-0040100 and 4 extra washers part #16705-PD1-003 from the honda dealership.

i have the helms, and i read that about the part/tool numbers, but i was told that honda specific tools were not made available to the public. the tap is a good idea too though. if i can just figure out what threads are at the pulsation damper, i could probably adapt it to a 1/4" ips fitting and then to a gauge. i'll do a search for the tools you mentioned first.

thanks for the help franky
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM

I took apart the pulsation damper last night, so just a warning to everyone. there's no way to adapt to that style fitting unless you own a precision machine shop.
I'll track down the adapter (Gauge attachment #07VAJ-0040100) at Honda, hopefully they'll sell it to me.

If not I'll have to go off of franky's suggestion to tap the fuel rail with some npt thread. I'm assuming removing the fuel rail would be smart to prevent any escaped shards from stopping up injectors???
Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i would highly recommend removing the fuel rail before drilling/tapping. Also its interesting that removing the vac line to the FPR perks the car up. I may have to try this. Also if this is an indication of a failing part, fuel pump/fpr or somthing similar how do we diagnose this?

I shall use teh search function to see if there is a thread on this already.

Personally my own symptoms up untill now have just been a poor idle which is very common. But the past week there have been two times where i go to get the car the beans and it just feels bogged down. Its only happened twice. I just associated it with heak soak. Being as its getting near 95f every day here in montgomery. Also the two times it has happen was after i drove the car, turned it off, went inside a store for no more than 10 mins. Starts up just fine, go to pull out of parking lot and i feel like im dragging a baby elephant behind me lol. Let off the throttle push in the clutch, go again and all is well.

Quick Reply: need help with fuel pressure test