Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

New Ottawa S2000 owner...any help or advise appreciated

Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ottawa S2000 owner...any help or advise appreciated

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this, first time posting to a form and not sure where to turn with my first S2000 car problem. So, I thought I would give it a shot, and since I live in the Ottawa area, hoping some from the area may be able to answer my question.
I am new to S2000 world and just bought a used 2004 a week ago; excellent condition, two previous owners, well maintained, no accidents, bought it with 63k on it. But not being very technical when it comes to cars in general (or in this case my new S2000)...well I am kind of stuck what to do. Could someone please recommend a good mechanic shop to bring my S2000 in the Ottawa area or region? Should I bring it to a local Ottawa Honda dealership? And if so who would you recommend?
After buying a used car I was wondering if there are some things that I should get checked out; tune-up, change any of the various fluids, spark plugs, etc. – The person I bought the car from didn’t provide very much service history for me.
I’m basically just trying to find a place I can bring my car too that I can trust and do a good honest job.
One of my main mechanical problems, which I found out the other day (didn’t know this when I bought the car, because I forgot to test for it) when I went for a shot drive. Is that my Vtec does not work at all. Very smooth acceleration in each gear, but as I past 7k and on (lets say in first or second gear), no Vtec? I did make sure the car was warmed up, but still doesn't kick in. I definitely would like to get it fixed, but not sure where to turn. Can you suggest a fix, or a good place in Ottawa to bring my new s2000 too?
Thanks everybody for taking the time to read this. Have a great day!
Bill
Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

First of all welcome! Im sure once you're through the initial maintainance you'll love the car.

Is the car completely stock or does it have any mods ? When you were accelerating were you WOT or rather stepping on it and didnt feel vtec kick in ?

To be honest, I didn't notice vtec till I swapped exhausts and could actually hear the exhaust note change and actually feel the kick. I wouldn't judge this as the vtec solenoid not functioning. There is a way to clean it, not sure if you would want to tackle it on your own but its an easy fix. Couldnt find a detailed description for the S specifically but here's a good link to see what Im talking about

Also check your air filter, a dirty air filter would probably be a potential cause.

http://preludehaven.forumotion.com/t...enoid-cleaning

As for fluids, personal preference is to use amsoil synthetic everything.

Pretty easy to change your engine diff and transmission fluid but again if you're not willing any shop can really do it, not much you can do wrong..

As for coolant given your car is still at 63k don't worry about it.

Brake and clutch fluid, I would take a look at the fluid, if it looks dirty, change it, if not, If its kinda half way there, Id change it anyway just so that when / if you store the car you dont have residue in the lines just sitting there.

If you're into cars and want to attempt some stuff on your own, this link below helped me through a lot of stuff

http://forums.s2kca.com/forumdisplay...S2000-How-To-s
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replied to your PM asking you some questions but it seems you cover the answer here.
If you are NOT WOT (Wide open throttle) and you just cruise up to redline you won't notice the VTEC kick. You need to beat on the car, I'd be very surprised if you have a problem with VTEC.