Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Double Dragon? Yep, Double Dragon - Registration is open!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts
Default Double Dragon? Yep, Double Dragon - Registration is open!

Everyone knows about Tail of the Dragon, but if you've never been to Back of the Dragon in Marion, VA you're in for 32 miles of great driving. Bama Dave came up with the idea and it's a great one. I've managed to get a block of rooms at the General Francis Marion Hotel in Marion for the special rate of $84/night. Ask anyone who's been there for Back of the Dragon or Fall Colors 2012 and they'll tell you what a special place the Francis Marion is.

We're going to drive two dragons with one trip. if you are planning to go to Rockin' The Dragon April 12-14, 2013 join us first for Back of the Dragon in Marion, Va. off of I-81 Sunday April 7 and leave Wednesday morning April 10 for Fontana. Some people are going to make a side trip to Little Switzerland via the Blue Ridge Parkway and drive 226A. This road is a legendary for the number of serious downhill switchbacks. All in all, three action packed days of serious curve driving fun and you haven't even arrived at Fontana. BD has already posted this in the Canadian forums to see if our northern neighbors are interested in joining us. We want everyone to know about this. If you plan to attend, we'll have a informal dinner on Monday night in the Black Rooster Restaurant prepared by Chef Blackstone specially for us. We plan to arrive Sunday April 7th and leave on Wednesday 10th, 2013. This pre-event is not associated with RTD 2013, just a warm up for the event. No shirts, no nametages, no registration fees (just the normal stuff (adult beverages, gas, etc) and for dinner Monday night and your room) BD may do magnet for everyone wanting one. No cost, just show up and enjoy the people, the roads and the area.

The locale: Marion, Va is located off I-81 about 40 miles north of Bristol, Tennessee. Marion is a town of 7,000 and it seems that everyone there goes out of their way to make you feel welcomed. We will be staying at General Francis Marion Hotel. Take a look at the website, it's an amazing hotel. Anyone who was at Back of the Dragon will be more than happy to testify to that. The staff of the hotel are the most friendly, helpful, nice people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. The room rate is $84 a night for a queen room. I have a block of rooms at the special rate for anyone wishing to join us.

The roads: Back of the Dragon is 32 miles of great driving roads and all with a speed limit of 55mph and NO SEMI's. There are switchbacks, serious curves, elevation changes and off-camber, descending radius turns to challenge the adventurous. All of this is connected with some of the most beautiful, scenic roads you've ever driven. There's something for everyone. Here's a link to the picture thread from the first Back of the Dragon meet. if you are interested, post so we can let the Francis Marion know how many people to expect..

People who are gonna show up (probably):
Bama Dave
kgf3076
Billman
batguano (with Ms. Linda)
starchland
Flo - rider
DragonDidg
S2LEGEND
Scammedon (and the Cougar?)
Tullio

Click HERE to REGISTER! Click to register for either Back of the Dragon and/or Rockin' the Dragon 2013.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like something I would do. Put me down.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Somewhat interested...depends on the magnet situation

And is this the same chef who does used oil analysis?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland

I got you covered on the Back of the Dragon magnet. If you show up the magnet is on me. I will cover anyone that shows up for this part of the DD.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Ill bring some canadian beer for ya.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I *might* do this
Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
I *might* do this
Yo! Flo! get Patrick involved in this one man.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by batguano
Sounds like something I would do. Put me down.
You are planning on bring Ms. Linda, I assume.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 PM

Nope, this is the chef that really should be cooking in a BIG city. Toronto or NYC come to mind.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Ill bring some canadian beer for ya.
You bringing Ten Penny from New Brunswick?

Quick Reply: Double Dragon? Yep, Double Dragon - Registration is open!