UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

newbie from Leicester

Old 11-04-2012, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie from Leicester

I've always been a fan of the S2000 and I'm now considering a purchase. I love VW's at heart having owned many polos, golfs, scirocco's and now a VW T25. I currently have a Seat Leon TDi as a daily and with a mpg of 60 can't complain.

I've been considering having an S2000 for next spring/summer and see how it goes and have some generic questions. I'd appreciate 'mature' answers as oppose to ones that I've seen on other forums. So here goes....

If an S2000 is driven sensibly and around 65mph on motorways what MPG can I get?
What are the service intervals and how much are parts - can this be done on your own (I.e. I've only ever serviced my cars never paid someone else to do it)?
Was looking at getting one with a hardtop - are these easy enough to fit?
How big is the fuel tank?
I've heard the earlier models (pre 2002) are cheaper on the old road tax - is this true?

And finally...

Can you get them with cruise control?

Thanks you peeps in advance.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:43 AM

Hi there and welcome!!

Mpg - 30-35 if you are conservative.
Parts can be quite expensive. Yes, you can fit most yourself.
Service can be done by yourself - don't take it to Honda. Interval is 9000 miles.
Hardtop - if your car doesn't have one, you'd need a hard top and a fitting kit. These can be quite expensive.
Cheaper road tax is from 1999 - 2005 cars (£245 / year)
Fuel tank is 50l.

Enjoy!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 AM

Never seen a UK car with cruise control, but the fun is in the driving of the car.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sound_wave
Hi there and welcome!!

Service can be done by yourself - don't take it to Honda. Interval is 9000 miles.
Hardtop - if your car doesn't have one, you'd need a hard top and a fitting kit. These can be quite expensive.
Cheaper road tax is from 1999 - 2006 (up to March 22nd) cars (£245 / year)
Fuel tank is 50l.

Enjoy!!!
Road tax date edited for accuracy

Cruise control was only standard in the US & Canada I think.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by earl's_f20c
Originally Posted by sound_wave' timestamp='1352033037' post='22128568
Hi there and welcome!!

Fuel tank is 50l.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks Dad.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Hi there and welcome!!

Fuel tank is 50l.

Enjoy!!!

I have a MY99 and 12 months tax is £220, this is for all cars 1999 to march 2001.

Welcome to the forum! I live down the road in Uppingham. If you end up purchasing one (much advised!) then make sure to look out for local meets and events! ;-)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Hi there and welcome!!

Fuel tank is 50l.

Enjoy!!!

Many thanks for the swift response. What are they like to live with in the colder months?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by s2000austin
I've always been a fan of the S2000 and I'm now considering a purchase. I love VW's at heart having owned many polos, golfs, scirocco's and now a VW T25. I currently have a Seat Leon TDi as a daily and with a mpg of 60 can't complain.

I've been considering having an S2000 for next spring/summer and see how it goes and have some generic questions. I'd appreciate 'mature' answers as oppose to ones that I've seen on other forums. So here goes....

If an S2000 is driven sensibly and around 65mph on motorways what MPG can I get?
You can squeeze 30 out but that's missing the point of the car. Your TDI even giving it the beans will give you 40-50 all day long and be more fun than trying to squeeze 30 from an S2K. I average around 24mpg through a mix of hooning and commuting. This weekend I've done 90 miles of just thrashing and got 16mpg from it.

On a GT model with the fitting kit already on or adding the kit to a none GT model?

I've the GT model and it's a 2 man job to put it on or take it off but it's not complex or fidly, fits on or off no fuss just takes 2 to raise and carry it.

The US models had the option and it can probably be retrofitted, but it's not a cruise control car. I mean it's cramped, noisy, hard riding and visceral. You want to drive it not be plodding along sending tweets.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

What are the service intervals and how much are parts - can this be done on your own (I.e. I've only ever serviced my cars never paid someone else to do it)?
How big is the fuel tank?
I've heard the earlier models (pre 2002) are cheaper on the old road tax - is this true?

And finally...

Thanks you peeps in advance.
I'm not sure I belive this, but...

If you need to worry about MPG forget it.
Service 9K or every year, parts fecking expensive IT'S A SPORTS CAR!
Hard top easy to fit if you've been to Ikea.
Fule tank? bigger than your wallet
Yes
No

You forgot to ask about insurence.......ho ho ho!

And a new owner in the colder months, considering your past cars, you will need to factor in funeral expenses.

You said you don't want silly replies, this isn't one.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are they like to live with in the colder months?
The heater is fantastic-quick to warm up, and nice and powerful with a 'top down' setting to keep your knees toasty. Of course, they're even better in the colder months if you install a heated seat kit

If you can, try to get one with a glass rear window. The plastic rear screen on the older models have a tendency to crack in the colder temperatures if you try to put the roof down before its fully warmed (plus the glass screen has a demister).

As for driving in inclement winter weather, as long as you adapt to the conditions (and keep your wits about you) you shouldn't have any problems, just remember its rear wheel drive so treat it with respect or you'll be swapping ends before you know it.

Quick Reply: newbie from Leicester