Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?

Stumbled across a car that I really like, but I'm a little shy about pulling the trigger.

2006 Porsche Cayman S, loaded, all the performance options. Aftermarket turbo by TPC racing. Car has 30k miles, turbo'd for the last 10k. With 366hp at the wheels, its fast as hell, but what about the reliability? 2006 still has the small chance of the IMS bearing issue, and then there's the small fact that it's boosted. An engine grenade would probably cost $12-15k to replace.

Would you make a move for it? Asking price is low $40s.

(The S2000 would remain in the fold, my wife wants to take it)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I would wait it out and find a clean stock caymen S since you still got the S2000 for now.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

No.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd wait and second that NO
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hell no, especially at that price.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I would not write this one off so fast. What else has been done to the car? Can you have a complete PPI done on it? Is the boost adjustable?

A car like that is a tough sell, so maybe you can low ball him. You say an engine replacement is 12-15K, what if you got the car 8K off asking price? You bridged much of the gap on a replacement engine. A Cayman with that kind of power must be stunning to drive.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm surprised so many wrote this car off so quickly as well. This is TPC's low boost kit, about 5psi. The car also has a quaife LSD (caymans did not have a factory LSD available until 2009), underdrive pulley, stainless steel brake lines, upgraded bushings, etc.

Here's the way I'm looking at it. If I buy a clean, stock Cayman S of similar age/mileage/condition, I could expect to spend about $35k. Add an LSD for $2k, and I'm with $5k of the turbo Cayman. The bare turbo kit is $10k, installed probably $15k+. Plus the other bits here and there. I could roll the dice on this car for $42k, or spend $55k building it myself.

Reading up on the TPC turbo, it sounds like a quality kit. Everyone raves about the normal driveability, and it goes like a raped ape when you step on it. One guy reports 70k miles boosted on his. Other people report 20+ track days without issues. TPC claims no known engine failures, and I can't find any internet reports, but that doesn't prove anything.

I'm not going to lie, I'm drawn to the turbo Cayman idea. About the same weight as my S, but double the power. I believe it's Porsche's best chassis, but they won't do a turbo because they don't want it to overtake the 911. And I've always wanted a Porsche.

The only pseudo-comparable sale I found was another 2006 with the TPC kit. It was built up as a track day special (and had been used like one), and sold for $40k in a matter of days.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

For an occasional drive, sure, I'd grab it. It's a toy and it'll probably hold up to you treating it as a toy. Daily driving? Probably not!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it. Sounds like fun. You only go around once.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
I'm surprised so many wrote this car off so quickly as well. This is TPC's low boost kit, about 5psi. The car also has a quaife LSD (caymans did not have a factory LSD available until 2009), underdrive pulley, stainless steel brake lines, upgraded bushings, etc.

Here's the way I'm looking at it. If I buy a clean, stock Cayman S of similar age/mileage/condition, I could expect to spend about $35k. Add an LSD for $2k, and I'm with $5k of the turbo Cayman. The bare turbo kit is $10k, installed probably $15k+. Plus the other bits here and there. I could roll the dice on this car for $42k, or spend $55k building it myself.

Reading up on the TPC turbo, it sounds like a quality kit. Everyone raves about the normal driveability, and it goes like a raped ape when you step on it. One guy reports 70k miles boosted on his. Other people report 20+ track days without issues. TPC claims no known engine failures, and I can't find any internet reports, but that doesn't prove anything.

I'm not going to lie, I'm drawn to the turbo Cayman idea. About the same weight as my S, but double the power. I believe it's Porsche's best chassis, but they won't do a turbo because they don't want it to overtake the 911. And I've always wanted a Porsche.

The only pseudo-comparable sale I found was another 2006 with the TPC kit. It was built up as a track day special (and had been used like one), and sold for $40k in a matter of days.
Agreed. TPC makes a quality product and the boost levels are pretty conservative. Planet-9.com has a lot of information about the kit. I don't recall anyone having any major problems with theirs. As long as the car passes a thorough PPI, I'd say go for it!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used Cayman S with a Turbo?