NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

NYC, LI, North Jersey...U guys are getting raped up there

Old 11-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC, LI, North Jersey...U guys are getting raped up there

Long story short, My girl moved to Southwest Florida (West Coast) Sarasota/ Ft. Myers. I had to make a decision, break up and stay in N.Y. or move to Florida and take a chance. I moved down and I have a job making decent money down here, own my home ( 3 bedrooms/ 2 bath/2 car garage/ caged inground pool) and own 4 cars. Do u think I could do the same in New York??

Check out some of the perks:

Rent out in my neighborhood is $550-750 for 2 bedroom/2 bath apt. ( plenty in that $550-650 range)

Whole houses 3bedroom/ 2 bath/ 2 car garage is $800+.

My property taxes is only $1300 a year. My mother pays $4800 a year for a shack on Long Island.

Banks give out loans easier down here. I had a credit score of 375 and still got a auto loan. This was before they the recession. $4k cash down payment helped too.

Winter time, my electric bill is $80. And I don't barely use heat.

Food is cheaper. Walmart runs the grocery business down here.

Cigarettes are $4.75 a pack for Newports everywhere. The price keeps going up though.

The speed limit is 70 mph on I-75. I set cruise at 80 MPH sometimes.

Police (in my area, at least) don't really break balls. I was on vacation in NY 2 summers ago and got pulled to the side during a roadblock on a Monday at noon. And I was driving a friends Durango!?!

Bullshit jobs pay similar. I had a friend working at Target in NY, and the one near my house pays more.

Gas is 30 cents cheaper.

No state income tax.

Guns are readily available and u can get a licence to carry. U do not even need a permit to purchase one. Just a 72 hour background check.

No inspections and no front plates.

Insurance is way cheaper. I pay $248 a YEAR for my S2000.

Fireworks are legal.

The list goes on and on. Your fawkin dollar stretches. Making $65k in NY is probably the equivalent of $50k down here. With the cheaper cost of living.

Are u ready to make that switch....Hurry it won't be cheap forever!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM

but...but...but....the pizza and bagels are so much better here!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

I'm so mad at N.Y. for forcing me and countless others out. I didn't want to leave. I get homesick a few times a year. I make sure I go every summer to keep the accent strong.

NY wants there to be two types of people, rich and the poor. What about the middle class?? I have almost given up on my dream of moving back home. ( I am playing the lottery often)
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 AM

Its not impossible to do it. Millions do everyday. Clearly lol. It just happens that maybe we didn't go to the right schools, choose the right careers or don't have the right connections. I have friends that are doing well, some not so well so it's possible.

Why own so many cars? Cars are the worst thing to spend money on. They loose value and need constant maintenance. In Florida you can ditch the cars, buy one or two more properties and rent them out and eventually have enough to do the same back in NY.

We can blame government but that's just to easy. Make sure you vote and play the hand your dealt. If you really want to go back to NY it is possible. I just don't know if it will be worth it. For what you get for your money, Fl is better in that sense.

Also your list of benefits are trivial and not even true improvements for living. I wouldn't mind a state inspection to get some of these barely drivable unsafe cars off the highway. I also don't like just any retard out there carrying a gun because he is so paranoid. Things are not that cheap all over Fl. Come over to South Florida and you don't see much of a break for insurance and rent and taxes are much higher. Granted what I get here for my money is a hell of a lot more lol.

And yes the pizza and bagels suck! I would move back in a second and trade off what I get here just for the lifestyle and culture.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Banned

Trivial??

Housing and property taxes make up a large percent of your expenses. Gas is 30 cents cheaper. Car insurance is cheaper. It's no secret that Jersey, and NY are ranked at the very top.

Heating and cooling your home u save down here. Especially if you are using oil up there and paying $3 a gallon plus electric.

Cigarettes are $10 up there. Big savings if u smoke. Food is cheaper.

These are things that go right back in your pocket, sure a few things were trivial, but most were not. And a lot of people in NY are BARELY getting by. And there are plenty of people getting checks from the gov't and working off the books. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are pricey, but I don't live there. It's also no secret that area is probably the most expensive area in the state

If u went to college or are working in a skilled trade, and making $75k +then u are probably doing ok.

A lot of these millions are paying rent and we will never own shit up there. Renting sounds cool till u start pushing your early to mid 50's and u realize retirement is right around the corner.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

rangers suck
Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 PM

I get what your saying and is true to an extent. Government moochers is not just a NY thing. Where you live is very affordable but is not like that all over FL. There are more affordable areas in NY too. Taxes and gas yeah but Cigarettes and guns is no huge life improvement. Both kill lol.

I do agree with you though but it'a all depending where in FL you live. I have moved down here and am enjoying life much more comfortable than in NY. Taxes and most cost of living is lower but only thing is lack of culture and diversity as well as a real one sided corrupted good ol' boy government that I hate. But it's all good. NY is a short plane ride away and there are plenty of NYers here. Hell my barber comes from Queens just like me and we crack up about it here all the time. It is boring as f@#k and even South Beach doesn't come close to Manhattan.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Couldn't you say the same thing about plenty of other states? There are states with even cheaper COL.

Since i just started buying businesses down in florida (west palm beach), i know how cheap it is relative to NY.

BUT the opportunities that exist in NY are much higher than anywhere else. Im a 1st generation immigrant. My parents came here with nothing. The opportunities they received in NY allowed them to become successful. It doesn't work out for everyone, but don't think it can't be done.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

There are other states I could have said, but IMO, Florida is one of the premier states with a decent cost of living in the country. 80 degrees in December, that's the difference. And South Florida is known as being the most expensive part of the state. So if u reside in those areas, u do it by choice. If u live outside of the cities, u can find some real estate steals. Houses for $50-60k. U could be owning homes in my area instead of cars.

Your parents probably came here when shit was easier and a helluva lot cheaper. A lot of people commenting probably do not have 2/3 kids. Shit isn't easy with kids in NY. U got your little one bedroom apartment, but what are you gonna do when u have 2/3 kids?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could never move to FL or any of the southern states. I'd be happier in an exciting & stimulating area than move to an area with lower cost of living. One of my goals is to move to San Francisco, which is a very expensive city & the pay is a fraction less than NYC. I'd rather claw & fight my way to success in SF, than an easier move to FL. Move west, not south. Just IMO.

Quick Reply: NYC, LI, North Jersey...U guys are getting raped up there