• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Track Days - 2013 It's not too early to start planning

#176 User is offline   blueosprey90 

• Topic Starter
  • View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Interests:Adirondack Mountains - hiking (High Peaks), boating; camp life; carpentry / woodworking

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Here's something for those of us who drive Lime Rock. Exciting run, BUT ... Watch to the end.

This post has been edited by blueosprey90: 12 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

#177 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

^ Jeff- I believe that was at the annual race that MoHud holds every year. There was talk about that on the MoHud Facebook group, first time I'm seeing the video though. Scary stuff.

#178 User is offline   NH_s2k_Guy 

• View gallery
  • Group: Member
  • Interests:2005 Honda S2000 Silverstone, Black-Red interior

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Anyone planning on going to NHMS with SCDA next Monday?

I was going to do 1 more track day this year at NHMS end of September but I have to be at work that day
so next Monday is my last shot! Website says intermediate 1 is sold out. Don't know if they have an
intermediate 2 or not. Still checking on logistics before I contact them.
My Rides:
2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic, Black/Red with Vortech V3 polished supercharger, Comp Stage 2 clutch, RC Engineering 750cc fuel injectors, FMIC, Walbro fuel pump, Greddy EManage Ultimate with Boomslang harness, AEM Boost and Wideband gauges, A-pillar mount, Invidia Q300 dual catback exhaust, Random Technology catalytic converter, machined flywheel, dyno'ed at 387whp and 260 ft/lbs torque 3/28/11, 18" SSR Professor SP1 Super Black Coat wheels with Dunlop Direzza ZII tires, StopTech slotted rotors and stainless brake lines with Hawk HPS pads, OEM Wing Spoiler, OEM Front Lip, Downforce CF front splitter, Voodoo shift knob, Redline Tuning hood dampers, Mugen radiator cap and brake reservoir cover, S2000 etched windscreen, CF cooling plate, powder coated calipers, seat locks, top down mod, bumper and keyhole plugs, LED license plate and trunk lights, 20% rear window tint, black floor mats with red S2000 embroidery, S2000 sun visor plaques. My Gallery
ICE: Pioneer Premier HU, Polk Audio MMC6500 speakers, JL Audio Slash V2 300/2v2 amp, Sirius Starmate Replay receiver, Modifry DCI, Monster 300/400 cabling, Garmin Nuvi 250W GPS, Dynamat.
2013 Hyundai Elantra SE Coupe, Volcanic Red, loaded...for those foul weather days! Pictures
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#179 User is offline   s200059 

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postblueosprey90, on 12 August 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

Here's something for those of us who drive Lime Rock. Exciting run, BUT ... Watch to the end.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hs1sQM6QE_A

This guy in the MG pitted right next to me on race day !!. It wasn't pretty.

Attached File  MG_lrp_07132013.jpg (132.73K)
Number of downloads: 35

Attached File  MG2_lrp_07132013.jpg (101.4K)
Number of downloads: 30

#180 User is offline   pgss2k 

• View gallery

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

View Postblueosprey90, on 12 August 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

Man he sliced through the field there huh? Big stones to get right back on it full bore after the first one and maybe too big on the second attempt!

#181 User is offline   pgss2k 

• View gallery

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostNH_s2k_Guy, on 12 August 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Anyone planning on going to NHMS with SCDA next Monday?

I was going to do 1 more track day this year at NHMS end of September but I have to be at work that day
so next Monday is my last shot! Website says intermediate 1 is sold out. Don't know if they have an
intermediate 2 or not. Still checking on logistics before I contact them.

Can't make it. If you go I hope you have fun. Weather looks good as of now!

#182 User is offline   NoDelta 

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Glad you're ok Aashish!

#183 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostNoDelta, on 13 August 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

Glad you're ok Aashish!

Thanks Mike. Do you have any plans of going back on track this season?

#184 User is offline   blueosprey90 

• Topic Starter
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Adirondack Mountains - hiking (High Peaks), boating; camp life; carpentry / woodworking

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Forming a pit crew for Labor Day Weekend. Have a few passes.

Aashish, Paul, any interest?

#185 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postblueosprey90, on 13 August 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I plan to be there.

http://www.sportscar...13-information/

The 31st annual event will honor the 100th anniversary of Aston Martin and Buick, as well as the 50th birthday of the Porsche 911, Lotus Elan and Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd.

#186 User is offline   blueosprey90 

• Topic Starter
  • View gallery

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Cunninghams at Lime Rock. I guess Aashish was getting a preview.

"I plan to be there."

Good. I'll put you on my list.

#187 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

^ I got some video of the Cunninghams from the corner station at Turn 3

#188 User is offline   pgss2k 

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

View Postblueosprey90, on 13 August 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I wish, but my family that came to the races last fall with me are coming here for the weekend this year. Thanks for thinking of me.
Anyone with any interest at all take Jeff up on his offer, the cars you will see are well worth the visit!

#189 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

NASA still has registration open for Friday, August 23rd in case anyone is interested.

https://www.nasapror....com/event/1685

This is a half-day event with NASA sharing the track with Lime Rock Drivers Club.

#190 User is offline   NoDelta 

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostA 2, on 13 August 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

View PostNoDelta, on 13 August 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

Glad you're ok Aashish!

Thanks Mike. Do you have any plans of going back on track this season?

I`m considering making the 9 hour run down to Summit Point for a couple more days on Shenandoah circuit, but it's a lot of driving to track the car for a weekend and hope to make the 9 hour drive home.
I don't think I`ll be hitting anything more local this season.. Just a couple more auto-x

#191 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostA 2, on 13 August 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

NASA still has registration open for Friday, August 23rd in case anyone is interested.

https://www.nasapror....com/event/1685

This is a half-day event with NASA sharing the track with Lime Rock Drivers Club.

NASA just sent an email. They have opened up spots on Friday the 23rd for HPDE 1 group (Novice). Hitherto, this track day was reserved for only HPDE 2 and up.

Click on the link above and sign up if you are interested.

#192 User is offline   NH_s2k_Guy 

• View gallery

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Had the first broken thing in my S that I can attribute to the stresses of track days...

Broken motor mount.

Car is at the shop, having the mechanic replace the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount.

Considered upgrading to polyurethane mounts, but was told by more than 1 person at the shop that they make the car even stiffer to the point where it is vibrating all the time, so I am going with OEM mounts as this car is not a track car only.

#193 User is offline   pgss2k 

• View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostNH_s2k_Guy, on 19 August 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Had the first broken thing in my S that I can attribute to the stresses of track days...

Broken motor mount.

Car is at the shop, having the mechanic replace the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount.

Considered upgrading to polyurethane mounts, but was told by more than 1 person at the shop that they make the car even stiffer to the point where it is vibrating all the time, so I am going with OEM mounts as this car is not a track car only.

How did you find the problem? Were you in for routine service and they noticed it or was it something you noticed going on, I believe it is a (relatively) common problem. So far I appear OK.
Did you decide to go to the SCDA event?
How is you son doing?

#194 User is offline   pgss2k 

• View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hoping to get a session with professional coach Peter Argetsinger at WGI next month. He has many hours there and everyone I have spoken with, including Greg G, raves about how well his coaching has helped them. His Father helped to design the tack when it was laid out so he should have great insights for me! Received an e mail late last night but didn't read it till this AM. Only 16 sessions available so I will have to have a little luck to have scored one. They always sell out quickly.

#195 User is offline   blueosprey90 

• Topic Starter
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Was looking for some "race" video last night and stumbled upon this. Only watched the first 30 minutes, but it is quite good. Spin discussion at about 18 minutes.

#196 User is offline   NH_s2k_Guy 

• View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postpgss2k, on 20 August 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

View PostNH_s2k_Guy, on 19 August 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Broken motor mount.

How did you find the problem? Were you in for routine service and they noticed it or was it something you noticed going on, I believe it is a (relatively) common problem. So far I appear OK.
Did you decide to go to the SCDA event?
How is you son doing?

The whole front of the car would "clunk" every time I accelerated or shifted, sounded like the motor was going to drop out of it. :)

Good thing I didn't sign up for Monday's SCDA event as I wouldn't have been able to run due to this problem.

He's doing good, thanks for asking! He's back and already back to work at his old job, got a raise from $17 to $20 an hour and will get another raise after a probationary period that every employee goes through. Plus he's going to take college courses, paid for by the company, towards an engineering degree.

#197 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostNH_s2k_Guy, on 20 August 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

He's doing good, thanks for asking! He's back and already back to work at his old job, got a raise from $17 to $20 an hour and will get another raise after a probationary period that every employee goes through. Plus he's going to take college courses, paid for by the company, towards an engineering degree.

Mark - that is great news. Let him know we are all rooting for him and you :thumbup:

#198 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Swapped the pads and did a flush of the brake system using gravity bleed. Slow & tedious, but I had no help so that was the only way to go.

While doing the rears, I looked under at the suspension to make sure everything was OK. Noticed my left rear shock absorber had a greasy look to it. Checked the right rear, and it was dry. Went back and touched the shock absorber and I got some oily stuff on my finger.

Should I cancel Friday and start shopping for a new shock absorber or can I ride out the season (possibly another 2-3 track days plus 2-3 autocrosses)??

#199 User is offline   blueosprey90 

• Topic Starter
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostA 2, on 20 August 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Swapped the pads and did a flush of the brake system using gravity bleed. Slow & tedious, but I had no help so that was the only way to go.

While doing the rears, I looked under at the suspension to make sure everything was OK. Noticed my left rear shock absorber had a greasy look to it. Checked the right rear, and it was dry. Went back and touched the shock absorber and I got some oily stuff on my finger.

Should I cancel Friday and start shopping for a new shock absorber or can I ride out the season (possibly another 2-3 track days plus 2-3 autocrosses)??

If you haven't noticed any difference in the feel of the car, I think you can go to Lime Rock on Friday. At worst, the tire will be bouncing and won't hold the pavement as well. But on the right turns, the left suspension is loaded up anyway. Wipe off the shock and check mid day to see how severe the leakage. It only takes a couple of drops of oil to look like a major spill.

The shock replacement may be more than you (we) can handle though

http://www.s2ki.com/...k-installation/

#200 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

You know how it is with these things. Once I completed all the work and got the car back on the floor, I took it out for a test drive in the neighborhood. Every motion seemed to be exaggerated and had me thinking if it was the shock.

On Sunday, I drove the car to autocross and back and did not notice a thing. I know NASA has a rigorous tech inspection. I wonder if they will look under. Needless to say I plan on taking it very easy, especially since Lime Rock really loads the left side on all corners except for Turn 3.

If I do get new shocks, I may just pay a shop to do it. I'll probably need an aligment too.

Also, the CR suspension costs ~$1000. I'm probably better off purchasing something aftermarket if paying that kind of money.

This post has been edited by A 2: 20 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users