New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days - 2013

Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
NASA still has registration open for Friday, August 23rd in case anyone is interested.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1685

This is a half-day event with NASA sharing the track with Lime Rock Drivers Club.
NASA just sent an email. They have opened up spots on Friday the 23rd for HPDE 1 group (Novice). Hitherto, this track day was reserved for only HPDE 2 and up.

Click on the link above and sign up if you are interested.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Had the first broken thing in my S that I can attribute to the stresses of track days...

Broken motor mount.

Car is at the shop, having the mechanic replace the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount.

Considered upgrading to polyurethane mounts, but was told by more than 1 person at the shop that they make the car even stiffer to the point where it is vibrating all the time, so I am going with OEM mounts as this car is not a track car only.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
Had the first broken thing in my S that I can attribute to the stresses of track days...

Broken motor mount.

Car is at the shop, having the mechanic replace the 2 engine mounts and the tranny mount.

Considered upgrading to polyurethane mounts, but was told by more than 1 person at the shop that they make the car even stiffer to the point where it is vibrating all the time, so I am going with OEM mounts as this car is not a track car only.
How did you find the problem? Were you in for routine service and they noticed it or was it something you noticed going on, I believe it is a (relatively) common problem. So far I appear OK.
Did you decide to go to the SCDA event?
How is you son doing?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hoping to get a session with professional coach Peter Argetsinger at WGI next month. He has many hours there and everyone I have spoken with, including Greg G, raves about how well his coaching has helped them. His Father helped to design the tack when it was laid out so he should have great insights for me! Received an e mail late last night but didn't read it till this AM. Only 16 sessions available so I will have to have a little luck to have scored one. They always sell out quickly.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Was looking for some "race" video last night and stumbled upon this. Only watched the first 30 minutes, but it is quite good. Spin discussion at about 18 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pgss2k
Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy' timestamp='1376918105' post='22732178

Broken motor mount.

How did you find the problem? Were you in for routine service and they noticed it or was it something you noticed going on, I believe it is a (relatively) common problem. So far I appear OK.
Did you decide to go to the SCDA event?
How is you son doing?
The whole front of the car would "clunk" every time I accelerated or shifted, sounded like the motor was going to drop out of it.

Good thing I didn't sign up for Monday's SCDA event as I wouldn't have been able to run due to this problem.

He's doing good, thanks for asking! He's back and already back to work at his old job, got a raise from $17 to $20 an hour and will get another raise after a probationary period that every employee goes through. Plus he's going to take college courses, paid for by the company, towards an engineering degree.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
He's doing good, thanks for asking! He's back and already back to work at his old job, got a raise from $17 to $20 an hour and will get another raise after a probationary period that every employee goes through. Plus he's going to take college courses, paid for by the company, towards an engineering degree.
Mark - that is great news. Let him know we are all rooting for him and you
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Swapped the pads and did a flush of the brake system using gravity bleed. Slow & tedious, but I had no help so that was the only way to go.

While doing the rears, I looked under at the suspension to make sure everything was OK. Noticed my left rear shock absorber had a greasy look to it. Checked the right rear, and it was dry. Went back and touched the shock absorber and I got some oily stuff on my finger.

Should I cancel Friday and start shopping for a new shock absorber or can I ride out the season (possibly another 2-3 track days plus 2-3 autocrosses)??
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Swapped the pads and did a flush of the brake system using gravity bleed. Slow & tedious, but I had no help so that was the only way to go.

While doing the rears, I looked under at the suspension to make sure everything was OK. Noticed my left rear shock absorber had a greasy look to it. Checked the right rear, and it was dry. Went back and touched the shock absorber and I got some oily stuff on my finger.

Should I cancel Friday and start shopping for a new shock absorber or can I ride out the season (possibly another 2-3 track days plus 2-3 autocrosses)??

If you haven't noticed any difference in the feel of the car, I think you can go to Lime Rock on Friday. At worst, the tire will be bouncing and won't hold the pavement as well. But on the right turns, the left suspension is loaded up anyway. Wipe off the shock and check mid day to see how severe the leakage. It only takes a couple of drops of oil to look like a major spill.

The shock replacement may be more than you (we) can handle though

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/303...-installation/
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

You know how it is with these things. Once I completed all the work and got the car back on the floor, I took it out for a test drive in the neighborhood. Every motion seemed to be exaggerated and had me thinking if it was the shock.

On Sunday, I drove the car to autocross and back and did not notice a thing. I know NASA has a rigorous tech inspection. I wonder if they will look under. Needless to say I plan on taking it very easy, especially since Lime Rock really loads the left side on all corners except for Turn 3.

If I do get new shocks, I may just pay a shop to do it. I'll probably need an aligment too.

Also, the CR suspension costs ~$1000. I'm probably better off purchasing something aftermarket if paying that kind of money.

Quick Reply: Track Days - 2013