S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

DIY: Clutch Bleed (Gravity Method)

Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY: Clutch Bleed (Gravity Method)

Hey guys. Here is a quick DIY of a clutch bleed using the same gravity method I used on the brakes.
Here is a link to the brake bleed. DIY: Brake Bleed (Gravity Method)
I've seen people complain or experience difficulty getting the car into gear, the clutch pedal feeling very light, and the engagement point being very low. Good chance you have air in your system. The clutch fluid is something you want to check more often then you do your brake fluid. It evaporates a lot quicker, and may need to be toped off. Make sure you are always checking to make sure it's clean and at the level it needs to be.

Gravity Method: The method I'm using to bleed here is the gravity method. Unlike the brakes, it doesn't take a long time to do this for the clutch. Took me under 10 minute total from start to finish to finish. This method uses the least amount of fluid. You'll be surprised when you are finished. The pedal feels better then it did when the car was brand new! The shifting will feel a lot smoother, and the engagement point in the pedal is right away. No more gear grinds.
Essentially you are just opening up the bleeder and allowing gravity to flush the line for you.

What's needed:
Brake Fluid - Your choice what fluid to use. I use the ATE Super Blue since I had plenty left over after my brake bleed. I would recommend using it either way.
8mm or 5/16 Wrench
Turkey Baster
Short Clear Hose - I've seen some people use very long hoses, and I never understood why. Keep it short and sweet.
Jack and Jack stands - Factory jack is fine to use, but if you have a decent jack around it'll make things faster and easier. I like to use a good pump jack and have a jack stand in place once up for safety.
Funnel
Clean Rag or Towel
Plastic Cup - I know what you're thinking...wtf? I used a plastic cup to catch the fluid while bleeding. You can use anything you like.

Main parts shown below. (Photo taken after bleed had already been completed)

Alright let's get started. The first thing you want to do is remove the cap from the clutch cylinder reservoir(put the cap aside for now as the reservoir will be left open for the duration of the bleed) and begin sucking out the old fluid using the turkey baster. (Pic Below)

Once you get all that old fluid out, grab a clean rag/towel and wipe off any dirt you see inside the reservoir. Make sure it's nice and clean. Once you are done, grab your new brake fluid and fill the reservoir to max. Make sure not to get any on your paint. Using a funnel is the best way to avoid spilling. (Pic Below)

Now time to lift the car. You want to jack the car up from the Left Front of the vehicle using either the factory jack or another jack of your choosing(factory jacking location). I recommend using a jack stands also if you have them. Once up crawl under the car and locate your slave cylinder. You'll see the bleeder on the cylinder with the cap. Remove the rubber cap. (Pic Below)

Grab your clear hose and put one end over the bleeder. Grab your 5/16 wrench and loosen the bleeder. The fluid will begin to come out right away. In my case the clear hose I was using was a little bigger then the bleeder, so it wouldn't hold firmly onto it. However, honda was kind enough to include a nice holding point for your clear hose that will keep it in place over the bleeder. At least this is the way I do it, and easiest way in my opinion. (Pic Below)

While it's bleeding the old fluid out you want to make sure to check the reservoir. The clutch bleeds very quickly, especially if there is air in the system, and you'll want to add more new fluid as it does. Keep the fluid level at Max. Within a minute or two you will start to see the new fluid bleeding out. Mine was a nice rich blue. (Pic Below)

Grab your 5/16 wrench and tighten the bleeder up. Remove the clear hose from the bleeder, and wipe off any excess fluid. Pop the rubber cap back onto the bleeder. Your almost done.
Lower the car to the ground. Grab your new fluid and fill the reservoir to Max. (Pic Below)

Put the reservoir cap back on nice and tight. You're finished!!!

The pedal will feel nice and firm. The engagement point should be much earlier if you had air removed from the line during the bleed. Go for a drive and check out how smooth that transmission shifts.

Even after doing both the brake and clutch bleed, I still always have about 1/3 or more of ATE Super Blue left in the canister.

Hope this helps the DIY'ers out there. All comments and suggestions appreciated.
The following 2 users liked this post by HvRRZ:
ipacketeer (07-11-2017), NICODON (12-09-2019)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What diameter size should the pvc tube be? Same as the one used for the brakes right?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write up. Gonna do it myself.

But, I wouldn't make jack stands an option, they are a necessity. People have died from cars falling off jacks.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Great write-up, I've done brakes a million times but I actually didn't know how to do my clutch until I read this.

But, I wouldn't make jack stands an option, they are a necessity. People have died from cars falling off jacks.
He did say he puts the stands under the car as a safety. I agree that the car is safer resting on the stands and using the jack as the safety (the car is more stable and less likely to move), but I see a lot of people do it the other way around. I suspect as long as you have contact to both stands and the jack, it doesn't matter too much which of those two is doing the "grunt work" of holding the car up.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by s1mba
What diameter size should the pvc tube be? Same as the one used for the brakes right?
The one I used was the same as the one I used for the brakes. It won't hold onto the bleeder like it does the brakes though because really you need a hose thats slightly smaller.... but if you mount it the way I did behind the shield by the tunnel then it wont matter.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. You have the exact size by any chance? If not I'll go over to Home Depot and grab a couple different ones
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. You have the exact size by any chance? If not I'll go over to Home Depot and grab a couple different ones
I'm sorry I don't. I was lucky to have some tube laying around to cut a piece. It won't be to hard to get the right one though, or one that'll do the job without issues.
If anyone knows the size needed and can share the info... I'll gladly add it to the DIY!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Brought a spare caliper with me to Home Depot lol I checked all the sizes and 3/8 in worked best
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brought a spare caliper with me to Home Depot lol I checked all the sizes and 3/8 in worked best
3/16" ID hose works great (5/16" OD)

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Bleed (Gravity Method)