S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

NA budget mods?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA budget mods?

Alright guys I'm still paying off this s2 and it's hard. I bought Turbo parts and regret it big time.. Now I need to sell all these parts and go for a budget mods for now keeping things simple I/h/e/tp/tb and prob vafc for tuning
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM

First off, congrats on the car and on deciding to keep it NA ! I would recommend paying off the car first if it truly is hard, but to answer your question without being condescending, I'd say go for stand alone engine management, with header-back exhaust properly ceramic coated or wrapped, with either hi-flow cat or preferably catless. A tune on that should get you good gains to start, based on the Haltech thread, which I'll find a link to. I'd recommend following that closely as that build is pretty budget for an NA car power increase. About $3k (estimated) and 240 whp, with excellent mid range and smooth power band.

Edit: thread in question https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/829...rt-1000-26whp/

Only mod on that list I wouldn't do is the intake cam. It requires more work and gains virtually nothing (like 3whp proven in another thread).
Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
First off, congrats on the car and on deciding to keep it NA ! I would recommend paying off the car first if it truly is hard, but to answer your question without being condescending, I'd say go for stand alone engine management, with header-back exhaust properly ceramic coated or wrapped, with either hi-flow cat or preferably catless. A tune on that should get you good gains to start, based on the Haltech thread, which I'll find a link to. I'd recommend following that closely as that build is pretty budget for an NA car power increase. About $3k (estimated) and 240 whp, with excellent mid range and smooth power band.

Edit: thread in question https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/829...rt-1000-26whp/

Only mod on that list I wouldn't do is the intake cam. It requires more work and gains virtually nothing (like 3whp proven in another thread).
Forgot to post im an ap1 Thanks for all the good information tho! And am I going with 60mm or 70mm exhaust?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by S2SICC
Forgot to post im an ap1 Thanks for all the good information tho! And am I going with 60mm or 70mm exhaust?
I'd say that more depends on you and preference. 3" has more power potential, but 2.5" will be quieter while still good for more power until you go for crazy stuff live a stroke kit or something. Most of the 3" exhausts I've heard on our cars (just on youtube though, as I'm one of like 5 ppl in abq with an s2000 it seems) tend to sound loud and like any other civic below 5k rpm. The berk exhaust is the one I'm going to go with (3") as it has great reviews, excellent quality, proven power, and no drone at highway speeds.

Also, halthech actually offers a plug and play model for AP1, so I'd say you're lucky in that regard! It should be easier to install (like.. building legos following instructions easy) and then its just finding a tuner again.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the ap1's can make great power too. here is the last thread i made on my car:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/

it's running bolt on's and it's tuned on a haltech ecu as well. you don't have to go as far as i did with modifications. keep the stock header and add a test pipe and a single exit exhaust. minimum 70mm but preferably a 3 inch single exit exhaust. as far as intakes go, if you're looking for something off the shelf, go with the aem or injen cold air intake. if you're crafty, go with a custom intake like i did.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by S2SICC' timestamp='1355158544' post='22200965

I'd say that more depends on you and preference. 3" has more power potential, but 2.5" will be quieter while still good for more power until you go for crazy stuff live a stroke kit or something. Most of the 3" exhausts I've heard on our cars (just on youtube though, as I'm one of like 5 ppl in abq with an s2000 it seems) tend to sound loud and like any other civic below 5k rpm. The berk exhaust is the one I'm going to go with (3") as it has great reviews, excellent quality, proven power, and no drone at highway speeds.

Also, halthech actually offers a plug and play model for AP1, so I'd say you're lucky in that regard! It should be easier to install (like.. building legos following instructions easy) and then its just finding a tuner again.
Currently all I have now is a skunk2 dual exhaust and test pipe still debating if I should switch to sumthing more quieter
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
Originally Posted by S2SICC' timestamp='1355158544' post='22200965
the ap1's can make great power too. here is the last thread i made on my car:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/

it's running bolt on's and it's tuned on a haltech ecu as well. you don't have to go as far as i did with modifications. keep the stock header and add a test pipe and a single exit exhaust. minimum 70mm but preferably a 3 inch single exit exhaust. as far as intakes go, if you're looking for something off the shelf, go with the aem or injen cold air intake. if you're crafty, go with a custom intake like i did.
Damn those are some good gains. So I should just ditch the vafc then and just invest slowly into a haltech
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM

Damn those are some good gains. So I should just ditch the vafc then and just invest slowly into a haltech
I would say haltech seems to be the best EMS currently available for our car, so I would .
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditch the vafc. they are a thing of the past. standalone or bust.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by S2SICC' timestamp='1355160204' post='22201057

I would say haltech seems to be the best EMS currently available for our car, so I would .
What do you guys think about the Megan header?

Quick Reply: NA budget mods?